Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

independent review of Bose system

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 09:14 PM
zh.guitar
Leave your mark!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default independent review of Bose system

Here is my opinion of the Bose "premium" sound system.

Dissappointing as expected.

I am a profesional musician. I am part owner of a recording studio and have recorded/produced/engineered several cds with a variety of artists and styles. I have worked with all the top brands including Genelec,Mackie, Roland studio monitors.

I own a home Bose system, a bedroom system with 301's, and a Roommate II system. My brother has 901's. I have had several car audio systems. My sister-in-law has a Bose system in her Acura.

In comparison to other systems this is my impression of the Bose premium system in the Touring model. Purchased 4/03.

- Overall the system is "tuned" pretty well. Things sound pretty good across the board and you hear what is intended. A "decent" mix. Thing is people have different listening preferences. If you want to eq the system your SOL.

-The equilization of the system is the worst I have ever encountered. The bass and treble hardly do anything. First clue of a bad eq is the fact it is only 2 bands. I have passive eq's that don't produce drastic gain levels, this is not one of them!

-The separation of the sound is horrible. Individual voices/instruments sound squashed.

-The sound compensation (audio idiot) is just plain wrong. It does not help it to sound better.

-The bass is loose and does not have an extended low freq. If you like a thumping bass forget it. I like a tight focused bass with a realistic freq. range. You can't get that either.

-Power....plenty of power. You can crank that nasty tone as loud as you can stand.

- looks/features... Very nice. Love the OEM look and the 6 changer.

- compared to other stock stereos it's good. I've heard many that are worse and are "premium". Disappointing for Bose, my sister-in-law's acura sounds WAY better.

- compared to aftermarket------NO COMPARISON....

If you like the way that the stock stereo sounds, the features are there and it's a decent system. Is it worth the money? Well it's less expensive (apples to apples) than after market and you get what you pay for.

I'm eventually going to upgrade. I'll start with everything but the HU and see how much that helps. I'll end up replacing it all most likely.