Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

my v1 radar custom install *95% complete*

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 03:44 PM
sibble

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my v1 radar custom install *95% complete*

I actually did this a few weeks ago in preperation for my roadtrip from NJ to NC... I used the Valentine one main unit, concealed display, and remote audio adapter...

concealed display mounted right under inspection sticker (clever eh?) "virtually invisible" from the outside

closer view...

remote audio adapter, this is the 5% incomplete part, i havent got the ***** to cut my center console yet, but that's where i plan to mount it (no not under the freaking e-brake, somewhere on the center console though)

Note: ok ok so i wasnt gona post this pic at first, dont gimme any **** for the ash i know i know, trust me, i keep my car clean!!! this ash is from this week and every week i clean the interior/exterior FULLY

and now, for the main unit!!!

this part was fun...
my main goal was to not alter the car in any way (except for the remote audio adapter mounting) so i used the factory clip for the headliner, pushed the wire through the hole, drilled a hole through the valentine one mounting bracket and tried to push the clip through it...
i ran into a problem, it wouldnt hold the unit because the clip wasnt being pushed in far enough

sooooo... i started grinding the plastic mounting bracket until it was thin enough and voila it fit perfectly! been on for a month now and didnt fall off once yet

all in all everything works beautifully, once i mount that remote audio adapter i'll be happy

Last edited by sibble; 06-02-2007 at 05:39 AM.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:00 PM
sibble

one more thing i forgot...

reading is fundamental and im glad i actually read the manual on the main unit or i was gona do some serious wiring

valentine one's power cords look like telephone cable... turns out thats exactly what it is

i used the direct power adapter (that comes with the main unit) and hardwired it to the fuse box using a nifty thing i never knew about called "Add A Circuit" that you can buy from autozone

RJ-11

and that's basically the only thing i had to buy to do the install

tools used:
the godly dremel
Old 06-01-2007, 04:08 PM
SSP-350z

Looks good.... So do you actually get good reception from the front of the car with that way back there.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:10 PM
sibble

Originally Posted by SSP-350z
Looks good.... So do you actually get good reception from the front of the car with that way back there.
definently, if you've never used a V1 before you really wouldn't believe how far this will pickup radar if i told you

by the way i dont take credit for mounting the main unit at that location...
it was this guy's original idea
http://www.piddles.net/V1-Install.htm
and he did a hell of a lot more work with the concealed display install INSIDE his rear view mirror
I'd love to do that but the whole moving a transistor to another spot on a circuit board makes me sweat thinking about it
ive seen the same install done on a supra i believe

Last edited by sibble; 06-01-2007 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:38 PM
SSP-350z

Yeah I've seen that done before, that install in the mirror is sick. I was just always curious to know how well it picked up the signal from being back by the hatch. I currently have the 8500 with the shifter installed in my car and it works like a champ. Its really no way conceiled just sitting on the dash like everyone else.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Barrymcockiner

Or you could just drive the speed limit? haha.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:29 AM
MethodRN
For Sale

I've had my main V1 unit in that same location for it's concealed and clean look for over a year and have had no issues w/ picking up radar. I was on a cruise w/ a guy in a z that had the Passport (not sure which one) and my V1 detected a cop just beyond the crest of a hill and I didn't see him slam of his brakes until he had visual of the actual cop. He told me his radar didn't pick it up cause the cop was on the other side of the hill.