Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Optimum Crossover Points/ Slopes

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 12:31 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One out of a million people has the ears, talent, and training to do an RTA by ear ... and I'm being REALLY generous. Don't take this wrong but if you were one of these one in a million people you wouldn't be asking what slopes and crossover points to use. I've worked with plenty of professional and semi-professional singers and musicians and even they have a terrible time making the adjustments.

You really need a real time analyzer and a calibrated lab microphone. I've done my own car, SUV, and home theater with the set I bought last year. Works really really well. You grab a CD with pink noise recorded on it and hit play. Make adjustments with the microphone sitting where the driver's head would be until you get flat response.

I did notice some pretty good response peaks at both 80ish and 130ish hertz corresponding to the width and length of the cabin. I didn't see a height peak but it would be pretty close to the width one. I did another SoCal guy's car and we measured the same sort of "room" acoustic response.

There's a tread somewhere deep in this forum with my RTA procedures and before and after pictures of the response curves.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:14 PM
lancer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by QdotJ
Thanks everyone ....

Jim I'm going to give those numbers a shot when I get home....

My midrange are set in the factory location, and the tweeters are custom mounted low in the kick-panels per this photo...

Don't mind the strange looking air freshener in the cig lighter...
Sorry to point this out late in the game, but notice that your mid and tweet are on a completely different plane...
Since the mid is sort of immovable, I would try and maybe do a swivel/adjustable mount for the tweets to get them at the same angle as the mids?

Nice choice for speaks though, I have a homebrew active xo 3-way set in my 99 cougar, morel midbasses/mids and vifa tweets, 600w JL power, Pioneer p9400 deck... I like 'em. I started with a rough tune of a flat EQ, time alignment by distance, and xo points set pretty conservatively all at 12 db/oct and then tuned it all by ear from there. Granted, I change things constantly and it always seems like no one tune is always best, but that's what happens when you put together the system you're listening to. It's sort of a curse.

oh yeah, first post

Last edited by lancer; 06-06-2007 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:25 PM
Vestax

Wow more lessons on RTA'ing. I would guess there are more Home Audio buffs than IASCA, USACi SQ competitors in this thread? OP's asking how to adjust his crossovers and slopes, and all of the sudden RTA is the answer. Or is this the answer to every thread? Hey I would use an RTA to fix major issues in my front stage, but when it comes to final touches there are anomalies that it can't simply fix. "Hey, I'm off 3 dbs from 100hz to 120hz, let me adjust that. Wait a minute. I'm out of phase on my right midbass with a little bit of resonance on my left doors. What happen there? Do I have distortion? Do I have reflections? Why does my stage sound off?" Poor Joe, and his newly but budgeted $200 RTA software on his laptop and new mic, cuz somebody said that he must use an RTA on every thread that he asked.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:15 PM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by Vestax
Tuning by ear is not a skill for everyone, unless you're a walking RTA,
OK, so you are admitting that not everyone can tune by ear?

All I said was to get a flat response, go to a shop, pay 1 hour labor , call it a day. If the OP then feels the need to tweak further, then so be it. Me? I couldn't get a flat response in a car environment by ear if my life depended on it. I'm admitting I can't tune by ear. I also never told the OP to buy RTA software, mic, etc. I said drop up to $100 on a tune by guys that do it almost daily. He spent good money on equipment, it should be tuned right.

Most people tune to what they think sounds good, and it is FAR from a flat response. Most people think the classic "smile" on the EQ is how it should be, and that sounds fine. For me, I want to hear a recording as it was meant to be heard by the recording artist. So a FLAT response is needed.

And I don't think Paul350Z was implying the OP should go buy any RTA equipment either. he was just reinforcing that the majority of the public can't accurately tune by ear. If you can, then you have my respect and I feel maybe you should go into business or something.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:21 PM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by Vestax
Wow more lessons on RTA'ing. I would guess there are more Home Audio buffs than IASCA, USACi SQ competitors in this thread? OP's asking how to adjust his crossovers and slopes, and all of the sudden RTA is the answer. Or is this the answer to every thread? Hey I would use an RTA to fix major issues in my front stage, but when it comes to final touches there are anomalies that it can't simply fix. "Hey, I'm off 3 dbs from 100hz to 120hz, let me adjust that. Wait a minute. I'm out of phase on my right midbass with a little bit of resonance on my left doors. What happen there? Do I have distortion? Do I have reflections? Why does my stage sound off?" Poor Joe, and his newly but budgeted $200 RTA software on his laptop and new mic, cuz somebody said that he must use an RTA on every thread that he asked.

Last edited by StreetOC192; 06-06-2007 at 03:28 PM.