Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Use HU or amp crossovers

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 06:21 AM
drw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Use HU or amp crossovers

I am planning to add a Sony WX-7700MDX HU to the stereo system in my 350Z. I've already added JBL C608GTI components in the doors connected to a JBL amp. I also have added a basslink self powered sub. Currently the front components are high passed using the amp . The Sony HU has high and low pass filters so I was thinking maybe I should run the components fullrange from the amp and just use the HU to set the high and low crossovers. Is this a good idea. I am afraid that using crossovers from both the amp and HU may give me phase problems but I really don't know. Also, there is an adjustment on the amplifier for slope but the only adjustment I see on the Sony are for high and low pass frequencies in addition to front, rear and sub volume. What is slope and is it important?
Old 08-22-2003, 08:07 AM
little_rod

Slope is important when you have closely matched speakers. It is the dropoff of decibels per octave. Meaning, the higher the number, the more the speakers drop off at a higher frequency. IMO, this is a good thing when it is higher, cause I don't want my subs playing too high of frequencies, I just want them to stick with the lows.

Check your manual for the HU. It should give you the slope for the HU. A number of like 12 db/octave should be fine. But I wouldn't use both crossovers, one should be fine.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:52 AM
drw

Rodney,

Thanks for the reply. The manual doesn't say anything about slope but I would guess it's probably fixed at 12. I've noticed the the manual for my amp says to set it at 24 so its probably a better crossover( it goes higher). I think Ill use the amp xover for the front components and lowpass on the HU for the sub (since the sub is basslink and not connected to an amp...don't know how basslink works or if it is currently lowpassed caused the installer kept my documentation). This should allow me to filter my sub while maintaining the optimum setup for my components.

btw - Love those 19' iForged Aeros you have. By far the cleanest
best looking setup I've seen yet. I also like the Nismo Gt-4s and am waiting to see a picture of a Z running 19' with those to decide.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:07 PM
drw

"It is the dropoff of decibels per octave. Meaning, the higher the number, the more the speakers drop off at a higher frequency. IMO, this is a good thing when it is higher, cause I don't want my subs playing too high of frequencies, I just want them to stick with the lows."

Rodney,

I read you post again and it sounds like slope has more to do with
subs since the speakers will drop of more at a higher frequency. If this is the case then I guess it wouldn't matter if I used the HU xover for both the components and sub. I am assuming that slope doesn't matter for the components since they are being highpassed and are the only thing powered by the amp( Basslink is selfpowered and limited to the capabilities of the HU for lowpass).

Thanks,
Dave
Old 08-22-2003, 12:49 PM
little_rod

Yeah, this may help you understand it a little: http://ccs.exl.info/crossovr.html

It is important with all of your speakers, I just used the subs as an example.

I haven't done anything audio yet, but it is my next upgrade, nothing big, just want a little better sound, of course.