tccustoms- too MUCH airspace?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 07:04 AM
Takhteh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tccustoms- too MUCH airspace?

hey guys, i just ordered one of these boxes. it just looked too damn cool:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273488

so this, along with two alpine swr-1022d's. but manufacturer site says optimal airspace is ~0.625 ft^3 airspace per sub, and the box is 1.9 ft^3 total! any ideas or input from anyone with a similar setup?

i remember seeing someone talk about throwing in pieces of wood w/liquid nails to take up the extra space but HOW necessary is this and how do i even go about doing all of this?

btw, sorry i "chickened out" of doing the custom work myself.. lol.. to those that gave me some excellent advice before.. i decided i just don't have the time right now!
Old 06-12-2007, 09:12 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by Takhteh
hey guys, i just ordered one of these boxes. it just looked too damn cool:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273488

so this, along with two alpine swr-1022d's. but manufacturer site says optimal airspace is ~0.625 ft^3 airspace per sub, and the box is 1.9 ft^3 total! any ideas or input from anyone with a similar setup?

i remember seeing someone talk about throwing in pieces of wood w/liquid nails to take up the extra space but HOW necessary is this and how do i even go about doing all of this?

btw, sorry i "chickened out" of doing the custom work myself.. lol.. to those that gave me some excellent advice before.. i decided i just don't have the time right now!
.625 x 2 = 1.25

1.9 - .1 (displacement of 2 1022d subs) = 1.8

there is a 30% difference which isn't too much in the grand scheme of things. Especially sealed, there is more tollerence You should be fine with everything as-is. Worst case is your sub will sound a hair boomier if you even hear a differnece at all.

BTW, that was me who had mentioned in a thread or two about liquid-nailing a piece of 2x4 to the inside of the enclosure.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:41 AM
Takhteh

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
.625 x 2 = 1.25

1.9 - .1 (displacement of 2 1022d subs) = 1.8

there is a 30% difference which isn't too much in the grand scheme of things. Especially sealed, there is more tollerence You should be fine with everything as-is. Worst case is your sub will sound a hair boomier if you even hear a differnece at all.

BTW, that was me who had mentioned in a thread or two about liquid-nailing a piece of 2x4 to the inside of the enclosure.
Ahh, thanks for the info StreetOC.. I knew I read a post recently talking about the 'liquid nails' thing but couldn't find it!

Anyways, where did you get the 0.1 from? Just curious. I figured if you take the sub's volume (pretend it's a perfect cylinder, though volume will def be X amount less), I multiplied pie*r^2*h=volume of a cylinder. Yeah, broke out the math for a sec, haha..

ANYWAYS, I just figured this out after posting and ended up with ~0.3ft^3 of actual airspace occupied PER SUB! ..so 2*0.3=0.6+1.3=1.9 is perfect for this box!

Thanks, though! It should be good to go it seems, so Im not gonna sweat it anymore!
Old 06-12-2007, 11:33 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by Takhteh
Ahh, thanks for the info StreetOC.. I knew I read a post recently talking about the 'liquid nails' thing but couldn't find it!

Anyways, where did you get the 0.1 from? Just curious. I figured if you take the sub's volume (pretend it's a perfect cylinder, though volume will def be X amount less), I multiplied pie*r^2*h=volume of a cylinder. Yeah, broke out the math for a sec, haha..

ANYWAYS, I just figured this out after posting and ended up with ~0.3ft^3 of actual airspace occupied PER SUB! ..so 2*0.3=0.6+1.3=1.9 is perfect for this box!

Thanks, though! It should be good to go it seems, so Im not gonna sweat it anymore!
Holy Mathematician, Batman!!!!!

I went to Alpine's website, and they list the displacement as 0.05 cu ft per sub....
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...&lang=en&tab=F

Yeah, don't worry about it, sealed enclosures have a lot more tollerance than ported. You should be good.