Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Quick question(s) on speakers

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 01:01 AM
Accordaleer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question(s) on speakers

Hey guys, I'm thinkin about swapping out my stock speakers for aftermarkets like i do on all of my cars. The stock bose seems loud enough for the regular speakers, i always said i would amp my speakers but i think theyre sufficient. Anyway I will be getting a Z enclosure soon with probably 2 10's. My question is, what is the difference between regular components vs. like 2 or 3 way speakers in the doors and behind the headrests? I feel i could use some more treble even with it all the way up so im thinking 2 or 3 ways might provide me with this but will i lose any volume or bass?

I feel like theres much more bass filling out the car than in my accord that had 6x9 that put out NO bass, and small door speakers that didnt do any either. All i had was 1 12' sub pumping 850rms. Yea it was loud but i felt like all the bass was behind me and not coming from the sides as well.

Also when you hook up subs to the car do you take out the bose sub? I think im going to try running the amp at 4ohms at 500rms. Its stable at 2ohms at 850 rms but tends to overheat with techno and hard rap lol.... almost anything really. The stock setup hits like 115db, my accords hit like 126 regulary, and maxed at 132 ouch lol. I feel like round speakers put out more bass than say 6x9 or other weird sizes. I have time, i just hope i like 2 10's, i had a massive bandpass before lol. Im wondering since the box will be sealed if i should run the extra power and do 850 rms. idk,time for bed, just got done driving last 300 miles today to break the car in.. took 9 days. Well see, I appreciate any advice.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:24 AM
StreetOC192

The most probable reason your accord didn't sound fantastic was it wasn't tuned properly. You probably had incorrect crossover points.

In the Z, you should go with 2-way components (or 3-way if you're a baller). Get a nice mid to high level set, and install them in door pods (Zenclosures, WickedCAS, Simplicity in Sound, or home made). Aftermarket components by nature do not put out a lot of bass. So you will need the subs that you mentioned you are already planning on purchasing. Me personally, I would ditch the rear speakers behind the headrest. If you get a good enough set of components and cross everything over properly there will be no need for them (my opinion as well as my practice). The aftermarket components will have far superior range on them than the stock Bose, so you will hear a world of difference in the high end extension.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:47 AM
savvy

i agree with everything that Street said except ditching the rear speakers. I had debated on just running front but decided against it and trust me there is a big difference in sound between running just front and running front and back. With both sets the sound is much more immersing, it surrounds you instead of sounding like it's just coming from the front like it does with just one set.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:38 AM
Accordaleer

Cool, i guess ill start looking into 2 or 3 ways, i think i had 3 ways on the accord. Only thing is i didnt have any crossovers built into the car, just what my amp had for the sub. I remember when the amp would overheat, i didnt even have a little bit of bass it was pathetic. So i should be fine without amping the speakers though right? and ditch the bose when i install the subs? There anything you can do with the amp that powers the bose sub or is it just one that powers all 7 speakers? I cant wait i miss my hard thumping bass.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:00 AM
StreetOC192

I don't know the configuration of the Bose amp/speakers. Not sure if you can power aftermarket comps off the Bose amp. Ditch the Bose sub when you install your two 10's though.

PM 16psibrick and ask about a package for DLS 3-ways and kick panels.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:20 AM
Lsmith9523

are you planning to change the headunit at anytime,,,or want to stay with the Bose headunit? There is a way you can configure replacing the stock speakers with aftermarket using the bose set up. (Bing, TECH,) I am not sure it will be the sound you are looking for. If you are planning to change out the headunit at anytime, I would wait and change everything at one time. JMHO..
Old 06-18-2007, 10:54 AM
Accordaleer

I would really like to keep the stock headunit for the clean look. I had an amazing headunit that was the only one of its kind in my cavalier but it matched the car with red and blue leds. I dont wanna go that route now though, Im comin from an accord with a great looking headunit that was integrated into the dash so ide like to keep that look. I wouldnt mind it if i could change all the amber lights to blue like that one guy did in that thread but im no led master lol.

I'm lookin to keep the car for a while but i dont need to go all out, i was very happy with a hard thumping 12'' in the trunk and replaced the stock speakers with sonys. So most likely i will just replace the stock speakers in the Z and add the subs. Will probably sound even better since the 10's wont lag during fast songs and will be deeper and more accurate. Think the bandpass box was played out, it was deafening.

I dunno what the hell to do with it now that i think of it. Have a sony explode it in, not the one from the store, the one they stopped making, and i was hitting 132db max. Could put a pic up of it, have yet to see this box anywhere, i looked all over the internet.

EDIT: i have a Kenwood KAC 9102d amp, I can power both subs with it obviously, but do you think i should run it in 2ohms at 850rms or the 4ohms at 500?

Last edited by Accordaleer; 06-18-2007 at 10:58 AM.