Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Crossover location

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 02:12 PM
Jason333
hi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossover location

I have a set of MB Quart separates (no idea what model wife got them for me for xmas), and they come with a crossover. I had them in my old Z, but i did no install nor uninstall them. I want to put them in my current Z, but i have no idea where they had the crossovers mounted in the door. Anyone have any pics of where they have theirs?
Old 06-20-2007, 02:29 PM
StreetOC192

I personally wouldn't put them IN the door. it's not weather tight in there, nor are the xovers weather tight.

Best places for them would be in the kick panels (if there's room), under seats, in any of the cubby's behind the seats.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:37 PM
lbz

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Should be able to trace the wires back from either the mid-bass or the tweeters and find 'em that way. Can't be too far.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:28 AM
Takhteh

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
I personally wouldn't put them IN the door. it's not weather tight in there, nor are the xovers weather tight.

Best places for them would be in the kick panels (if there's room), under seats, in any of the cubby's behind the seats.
I have them mounted in the door and w/o the covers! I tracked down some "subtle" rattling from the covers and decided to do away with them.. initially, I was a little worried about leaving them uncovered and exposed like that, but (1) I personally think it fits much better now and (2) .. the rattling is no more. Also, I assume you're talking about heat/cold and not water, right StreetOC? ..bc water definitely won't get in there as the speakers would obviously have been "exposed" whether OEM or aftermarket.. and as I'm sure you already know.. it rains plenty here in NJ and I've had no problems.

Is this just your preference then?
Old 06-21-2007, 06:35 AM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Poor Jason
Old 06-21-2007, 06:41 AM
DVFlyer
Speed of White

Attached Thumbnails Crossover location-1.jpg  
Old 06-21-2007, 07:21 AM
Takhteh

Originally Posted by DVFlyer
Damn.. you must've bought like a 100' roll of just speaker wire, then.. lol... i bet it was fun getting that rack back and in there, too! haha.. Mine is quite similar, but yours looks to be a little deeper, coming more to the front it looks like.. but looks good!
Old 06-21-2007, 07:59 AM
QdotJ

I have seen many installs where the crossover is taped inside the door. I had mine like this for a moment, before I moved the tweeters to the kick panels, now I have them double sided taped behind there....

Please note, this is not my setup, just an example.

Last edited by QdotJ; 03-18-2008 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:18 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by Takhteh
I have them mounted in the door and w/o the covers! I tracked down some "subtle" rattling from the covers and decided to do away with them.. initially, I was a little worried about leaving them uncovered and exposed like that, but (1) I personally think it fits much better now and (2) .. the rattling is no more. Also, I assume you're talking about heat/cold and not water, right StreetOC? ..bc water definitely won't get in there as the speakers would obviously have been "exposed" whether OEM or aftermarket.. and as I'm sure you already know.. it rains plenty here in NJ and I've had no problems.

Is this just your preference then?

OK, I have to clarify I think......
When I say "in the doors" I mean in between the outer skin and the inner skin of the door itself, not behind the plastic door panel. I am thinking now after seeing QdotJ's pic that he posted that there is actually room behind the plastic door panel in the Z. Not many cars have this room though, so I wasn't thinking about that. But this would be fine i'm sure, especially if you sound deaden the door skin which seals up many of the holes/openings.

However I still wouldn't put it inside the door meaning in the cavity where your window comes down in the door. It is water resistant, but not water tight. You could get water in there. If your window is wet and you put your window down, where is the water now? in your door. magnet structures of speakers are not affected by a little water, crossover networks are. I'm not saying anyone WILL have a problem mounting a crossover in the door, but you are opening yourself up to the possibilty. This statement is my preference and recommendation.