Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Aftermarket Stereo System Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 08:06 PM
03 Z for ME

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Stereo System Questions

OK Guys, here goes. While waiting for to take delivery of my new Z this past Saturday, I checked out 2 local Hi End car audio stores. After reading all the reviews on the poor BOSE system, I opted for the stock system in my Performance model..

After looking over my options I plan on going with JL Audio components up front, JL Audio 6 1/2s in the rear and a custom encloser for a JL Audio 10' sub in the factory stock location. I'm thinking of an apline head unit, but I really would like a head unit with an amber display to match our interior lighting...

Anyway, the forst store I go to (Tweeter) is all excited to hear that I have a new Z and tells me that they just completed a new install on a Z a week ago. He then shows me photos of the stealth install and it looks great. I get the salesmans card and explain I was shopping around but liked his prices and the install looked great.

Now, I head to the next store. I tell them what I am looking for. The sales person looks all excited that I want a full system. Then he asks what kind of car I am going to put this in. I tell then a new 350Z. All of a sudden he frowns... He tells me, the Z is a hard car to work on and all the manager here will do is install an amp and sub for you. Sorry....

Now this shop is no little no name place. They sell top quality stuff and have photos of awesome custom installs they have done on many exotic cars already. How difficult is a Z to work on? IS it really that bad that a car stereo installer won't even place after market speakers in the FACTORY locations?

I am a bit scared now.. Is this place just scared of the Z? Is Tweeter really that good? Did any of you guys have a real difficult time with your own installs or have any installers not want to work on the Z?
Old 05-06-2003, 10:44 PM
jeffa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Run, don't walk away from that small shop!

I did my own install on my Z, and it was not to tough at all. I replaced the door speakers, rear speakers, added a new in-dash DVD player with motorized screen, a full 5.1 surround system, Sirius Satellite radio 2 amps and 2 10" subs in a custom enclosure. However, I have done many installs in my time, so I would not recommend this course of action to someone who has not done it before.

The car is not hard to work on. I did have the shop manual for reference as to how some of the panels come apart.

I would trust Tweeter to do a good install on the Z.

If you want to check out my install, you can see it at:
http://www.myredgtp.addr.com