Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Inconsistent Radio Reception After Amp Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 05:57 PM
davidl051

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inconsistent Radio Reception After Amp Install

Hey folks,

My first post. I've installed a new aftermarket Apline head unit, a JL Audio 2150 amp, and (1) JL Audio 10W3V2 sub via a Zenclosure box into my 2006 350Z. I purchase my Z with the regular stereo package as I knew that I would one day replace the stock equipment with something aftermarket.

After the installation was complete, I began to notice that the radio reception cuts out ever so often. My first instinct was to ensure that the antenna connection on the back of the head unit was seated fully and it checked out just fine. I also went ahead and confirmed that all of my wiring harness connections were still intact and everything looked great.

As far as my amp install, I chose to install it underneath the drivers seat as the amp is not that big. After doing some research today, I was able to locate a diagram that illustrates the antenna cable being routed underneath the drivers seat. So my 2nd instinct told me to remove the front seat and do some searching underneath the carpet floor, as I could have possibly pinched, or even drilled through the antenna cable. Upon removing the seat and then the amp, I noticed that the radio reception cleared up immensely.

I then set the amp back down on the carpet floor and the radio cut out once again. After goofing around with the amp placement, I was able to determine that the amp was causing the antenna to lose reception if the amp was placed directly over the antenna cable. That being said, I've remounted my amp (underneath the drivers seat again) in a place that does not make direct contact with the antenna cable that resides underneath the carpet floor. That seems to have cleared up the issue as far as I know.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I would have liked to have just moved it over to the passenger side seat, but I did not feel like re-running all of the cables at the time. If the problem comes back, then I will be forced to move the amp to the passenger side seat. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
David
Old 07-23-2007, 04:01 AM
Lsmith9523

Davidl051,,,did you check and make sure the power amp for the antenna is connected? I installed my Alpine W-200 and had horrible reception,,,then read here about connecting not only the antenna but the antenna amp wire as well. It has been awhile,,but I think the power antenna wire was blue or blue/white? I hope you get it worked out,,,,,keep us posted.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:27 AM
davidl051

Originally Posted by Lsmith9523
Davidl051,,,did you check and make sure the power amp for the antenna is connected? I installed my Alpine W-200 and had horrible reception,,,then read here about connecting not only the antenna but the antenna amp wire as well. It has been awhile,,but I think the power antenna wire was blue or blue/white? I hope you get it worked out,,,,,keep us posted.

Hey Lsmith,

Thanks for replying. Yes sir, I most definitely connected the amp antenna wire (blue/white) accordingly. Here's how my install went:

1. Installed wiring harness to the back of the Apline HU connector including the antenna amp wire. These adapters are pretty well color matched these days so it was simple.

2. Physically installed the HU into the car, but before doing so, I went ahead and connected my remote turn on wire (lead amp) and my RCA cables to the harness/HU. I did not have my amp at this time, but I wanted to go ahead and get the amp connections taken care of so I wouldn't have to remove the HU when my amp arrived.

(Note that the radio reception was crystal clear up to this point.)

3. My amp arrives. Physically installed the amp underneath my drivers side seat. This included running the power wire to the battery and then the speaker wire to the back of the car.

4. Dropped in my Zenclosure box and sub and wired it accordingly.

It was after step #3 that my radio reception failed. Like I said in my first post, I removed the drivers side seat and then unmounted the amp from the carpet floor. Upon doing this, the radio reception improved drastically. I then set the amp back down on the carpet floor and it failed once again. What I was beginning to notice was that if the amp was directly on top of the antenna wire that leads to the rear of the car, the reception would suffer. If I were to move the amp off of the antenna wire, then it would be perfect. So I remounted the amp to where it's no longer on top of the antenna wire, but it's still located underneath the drivers side seat. So far, so good. However, should I experience any reception problems moving forward, I will be forced to physically move the amp over to the passenger seat.

I did not know that the antenna wire was so sensitive. For you experts out there, does this sound accurate?

Thanks,
David
Old 07-23-2007, 01:59 PM
Lsmith9523

Hey David, I am glad you have it narrowed down. Honestly, I have my amps in the driver side rear cubby,,,so I am not sure what it could be? I know having crappy reception is horrible. When you get everything figured out and installed, I would love to see photos of your set up...I know you are really excited about the system. Take care.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:06 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

you said blue/white?

blue/white is the amp power turn on wire... solid blue is the antenna amplifier wire

here is a what my elipse install manual looks like..a nd it matched up perfectly with my harness

Last edited by doug; 07-23-2007 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:32 PM
davidl051

Originally Posted by doug
you said blue/white?

blue/white is the amp power turn on wire... solid blue is the antenna amplifier wire

I'm sorry, I meant to say the "blue" wire. It's been a few days since I did my install so I could not recall if it was in fact blue/white or just blue. But yes, the blue wire from the Alpine harness is directly connected to the blue wire on the Nissan proprietary harness adapter as required.

It has worked great ever since I moved the amp over about 4 inches so hopefully that will seal the deal for me. Fingers crossed.

Thanks to all,
David