Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Anyone else frying radar detectors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 07:23 AM
LifeIsRisky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Anyone else frying radar detectors?

So the first time it happened I reasoned it was a faulty radar detector. I mean why else would it simply stop turning on one day right? So I took it back and got a brand new replacement, got to love those warranties. Well that was three weeks ago and guess what, lastnight I plugged in my trusty little radar detector which had been in use everyday since I got it and .. nothing. Tried it in a different vehicle and it is definitely dead. So this begs the question. While it is possible I could have gotten 2 defective radar detectors that really isn't likely, especially since it worked fine for a few weeks right?

So I am thinking it is something with the electrical system of the car. I have an appointment first thing tomorrow to take it in to get checked but wanted to see if anyone else was having similar problems. For info I am plugging it into the "auxiliary power plug" (i don't remember the exact nomenclature from the user manual) under the dash on the passenger side. I have plugged other stuff in, namely my cell phone charger, and the plug is working.

Anyone else seen this or have any suggestions?
Old 07-29-2007, 08:08 AM
Zmazing03

I would bet that your power plug is the problem. I have had my Bel RX65 PRO plugged in since the day I got it and nothing is wrong. I don't have the plug under the dash, mine is behind the center console.

You said your cellphone works, so maybe its one of those "works one day but not the next" type problems? I agree that two faulty radar detectors is unlikey - you used different plugs for each right (and not the same one)?
Old 07-29-2007, 08:08 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you connect your radar in? Cigarette Lighter?

Because if that was producing too much voltage, the whole car would be getting too much and other things would start to act up.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:13 AM
Ichigo

Depends, what brand is it? If its a Rocky Mountian Radar I would not be surprised at all.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:34 AM
LifeIsRisky

I did use a completely new plug, actually it was a complete switch out everything in one box for a brand new unwrapped one. It is a Bel 995 so I don't think the quality of the radar detector is the issue. As for the cigarette lighter, my car doesn't have one so I am not plugging it in there. I was going to try plugging it into the plug behind the center console but that is just so inconvenient. That under the dash plug is in just the right place.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:45 AM
SpeedRcr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

were you using a direct power line and if so did yours have a fuse built into it like the oem ones...thats the thing, i hand made one and it fried 1 because no fuse
Old 07-29-2007, 10:06 AM
SteevoZ

I dunno if this means anything but I use the rear socket for my cell phone charger and over the course of a few months, the fuse has blown about 3 or 4 times. Both the front and rear sockets run on the same fuse. These electronics we're using may just be trying to suck up a little more power then the fuse was made to handle. Thats just my guess.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:45 AM
Lsmith9523

I have been using the Bel RX65 since Christmas with no problems. I have it hard wired to the cig lighter on Pass side. I have the cord hidden by the headliner,,down the pass A-pillow, under dash and 3M clipped to back of Cig lighter. When I am charging my cellphone,,I use the rear,/between the seat socket for charger, Never had any problems and 12 days to my one year anniversary with my Z...
Old 07-30-2007, 04:52 AM
LifeIsRisky

Mystery solved! Took the car by the dealer this morning and they did a quick check on the electrical system, it seems the regulator was defective. Popped a new one in and I was on my way. Time will tell if that was really the problem but hopefully so. Thanks for all the replies and help. While I was there I had a really nice conversation with the service manager around wheels but I will put that in another post. Thanks again!
Old 07-31-2007, 01:02 AM
xxbrokkxx

hmm this has happened to me but i didnt have a defective electricle system. it was because i live in las vegas and the heat messed up the circuit board on my radar detector.