Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Help me understand optimal subwoofer wiring & setup for 4ch amp

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 09:18 AM
Wheelman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me understand optimal subwoofer wiring & setup for 4ch amp

I am working on building my system for the Z and had a few questions when it comes to subwoofer and amplifier specs. I have a Memphis M Class amp with the following specs:
75w x 4 @ 4 ohm
115w x 4 @ 2 ohm
230w x 2 @ 4 ohms bridged

I plan on using this amp to power a set of door components and bridge the rear channels to power one 10" sub. There are a few things I don't understand.
  1. Is there any benefit to a DVC sub in this situation? If so, what?
  2. What about a 2ohm or 4ohm subwoofer? Will that make a difference?
  3. Is it worth it to find components that are stable to 2ohms so I can run 115w instead of 75w to the front?
I think that pretty much sums up my list. I'm looking at some ARC Audio components and a ARC Audio Foose 10" sub but am not for sure on them yet. Might take them back and trade for something else.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-22-2007, 11:22 AM
StreetOC192

You want to find either a single 4-ohm voice coil sub or a dual 2-ohm voice coil sub and wire it in series to show the amp a 4-ohm load. Unless it specifically says on the amp or in the amp's manual it most likely can't handle (safely) a 2-ohm load bridged. Dual or single, there really isn't much of an advantage at this power level. The dual voice coil subs can handle more power per sub which is their main advantage. You run subs mono anyway, so it's not like you need a left and right sub channel.

2-ohm components would be tough to find. Stick with the 4-ohm.....with only 230 watts to the sub, 115 watts per side for your components would be overkill and you would have to turn them down anyway to balance the sound with the sub. 75 for components and 230 to the sub is a pretty good balance.

ARC Audio is some top notch stuff. Their subs are very solid. And although not the loudest out there, they are very clean and accurate.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:38 AM
Wheelman

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
You want to find either a single 4-ohm voice coil sub or a dual 2-ohm voice coil sub and wire it in series to show the amp a 4-ohm load. Unless it specifically says on the amp or in the amp's manual it most likely can't handle (safely) a 2-ohm load bridged. Dual or single, there really isn't much of an advantage at this power level. The dual voice coil subs can handle more power per sub which is their main advantage. You run subs mono anyway, so it's not like you need a left and right sub channel.

2-ohm components would be tough to find. Stick with the 4-ohm.....with only 230 watts to the sub, 115 watts per side for your components would be overkill and you would have to turn them down anyway to balance the sound with the sub. 75 for components and 230 to the sub is a pretty good balance.

ARC Audio is some top notch stuff. Their subs are very solid. And although not the loudest out there, they are very clean and accurate.

Thanks man, you rock. You answered all of my questions, plus a couple I didn't even ask all in one post.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:45 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by Wheelman

Thanks man, you rock. You answered all of my questions, plus a couple I didn't even ask all in one post.
Anytime. If you have any other question, just ask.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:47 AM
jadaniya
Banned

if you want to learn about car audio you should visit the12volt.com You will learn a lot.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:40 PM
THEDUKE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know Kenwood and Infinity both make 2Ohm components for this exact situation.