Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Factory Tweeters

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003 | 06:25 AM
03 Z for ME

Question Factory Tweeters

OK guys, I come seeking expert advice again... I just got my Infinity Kappa 60.5cs Components for the fronts and my 63.5i for the rear replacement.

I have two questions / concerns...

1.) If I am reading the wiring diagram properly, the factory NON BOSE system doesn't even have a cross over. It looks as though they just add an extra pair of wires to the tweeters from the same wires that go to the mids. (Am I missing the crossover somewhere?)

If there is no crossover, the Kappas come with one.. I can simply run the original wires from the factory mid, into the new cross over, then out to the tweeters and the mids. (Then I don't even use the pair of wires running to the currently stock factory tweeters, correct?)

2.) Currently more important to me than wiring... How the hell do I get the factory tweeters out? I can remove the door panels, but I am a bit scared to try to get the top corner cover off that houses the factory tweeters. Anyone have any pictures, manuals, .pdf's, or general instructions on removing them?

Thanks in advance for the replies. (I know you guys will come through with flying colors on this quiz)

Last edited by 03 Z for ME; 05-21-2003 at 06:27 AM.
Old 05-21-2003 | 06:55 AM
POWERZ

1.) You are correct. I believe the only crossover is on the tweeter itself. You use the factory wires exactly as described or run new wires.

2.) IIRC the tweeter sail panels just popped off. I'll double check though.
Old 05-21-2003 | 07:10 AM
macam308

enjoy the link below! its a how to thread for audio installation stuff

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=26598

btw, the tweeter sail panel just pops off when you get the door panel off.
Old 05-21-2003 | 07:28 AM
slaponte

For what my installer said, you are correct. The one set of wires at the dorr goes to both. A resistor (I think) on the tweeters make it drop the low signals. Kind of crappy, no?

I installed MB Quartz which came with crossovers also. Now I just have a lack of power up front, seems the Bose amp is not sending enough signal. I faded it front a little and it sounds ok...
Old 05-21-2003 | 09:01 AM
toykilla

non component speakers,,, aka standard speakers (the ones with the tweet in the middle of woofer cone) use a capacitor/resistor combination to "crossover" the frequencies going to the tweet and woofer.

The factory speakers are just this with a relocated tweet.
Old 05-21-2003 | 02:20 PM
03 Z for ME

Question

Macam308,

I've looked over that link for installs on audio stuff. It is VERY useful and that's what I used to get the door panels off. It just doesn't show how to remove the corner covers that house the factory tweeters.

Others here have said they just "pop off"... No hidden screws? No worry of breaking the plactic? (They are just a small thin piece of plastic...) I'm just being cautious... IS there a direction I pull to pop them off? (Up, forward, down...)

Finally guys... is there a best place to put my crossovers? I think inside the door panels may allow them to have access to outside moisture?
Old 05-21-2003 | 03:22 PM
macam308

03 Z for ME

once u get the door panel off, the tweeter sail panel will slide off very easily. hard to describe with words but you will see how it works once you get the door panel off. hope this helps.