Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Head Unit replacement -- Thanks, Scafremon!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 02:08 PM
z350z
Charter Member #13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Unit replacement -- Thanks, Scafremon!

I just put in a new Alpine head unit, and thanks to Scafremon's excellent step-by-step instructions on dash removal -- with photos -- it was a snap!

http://www.scafremon.com/dashremoval/dash_removal.htm

Taking everything apart is easy when you know how to do it. I got the compatible wiring harness that plugs right into the factory connectors, so it was just a matter of soldering up a bunch of wires on the workbench to connect the receiver's harness to the adapter, and then everything just plugged in. I got the Metra dash kit. It has a nice clean look, and the storage bin is a very handy place to put CDs (not many are needed when you can fit around 200 songs on a CD-R!).

Thanks, Scaf!

Here's a photo:
Attached Thumbnails Head Unit replacement -- Thanks, Scafremon!-hu-small.jpg  
Old 04-19-2003, 03:25 PM
Sabre

How much has the sound improved? Do you still have factory speakers? I'm thinking of getting an Alpine, because I put in JL XR650CSi's and they don't sound that great. I assume it's the HU.
Old 04-19-2003, 10:55 PM
Scafremon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're very welcome!!

Hopefully one day soon I'll buy something (head unit or LCD screen) so I can use my DIY too!

In the meantime, I'm glad people have found it useful.

I just saw this thread by tonkadog that I'm going to put to use next week (thanks tonkadog!). I was going to pay a stereo shop to do this part, but now I think I can tackle it.
Old 04-20-2003, 09:38 AM
all_bark

Originally posted by z350z
I just put in a new Alpine head unit, and thanks to Scafremon's excellent step-by-step instructions on dash removal -- with photos -- it was a snap!

http://www.scafremon.com/dashremoval/dash_removal.htm\
Hey Scafremon -

that is an excellent step by step instructional pictorial on how to remove the dash. I added it to my favorites to help me when my VGA screen comes in (for use with the in car pc)

This same step by step will work on the touring model? yes?...

thanks
Old 04-20-2003, 08:09 PM
z350z
Charter Member #13

Originally posted by Sabre
How much has the sound improved? Do you still have factory speakers? I'm thinking of getting an Alpine, because I put in JL XR650CSi's and they don't sound that great. I assume it's the HU.
I changed the front speakers first, so I can't say how the sound improves by just changing the head unit. However, I can say that the sound improved a lot going from the factory head unit to this one, because I listened to the new speakers with the factory HU for a while. Changing the speakers only helped a lot, but with the new head unit it's like night and day.

My first idea was to just change the front speakers and not even use the rears, but I discovered that you really need all four speakers to get good sound. I didn't get the great sound I was looking for until I also added the rears. Now it's lovely -- and this is without an amp and a sub.
Old 04-21-2003, 12:19 PM
wilson9913

Question Enough bass response?

Since your install is without a sub, are you getting enough bass response out of the speakers alone? I'm not looking to thump the guy in the next vehicle. Just want to feel the base myself.

*rant on*
Why do some car owners think it's necessary to have me feel the base in my 9th floor condo when they drive by???
*rant off*

John C.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:21 PM
all_bark

Default Re: Enough bass response?

Originally posted by wilson9913
*rant on*
Why do some car owners think it's necessary to have me feel the base in my 9th floor condo when they drive by???
*rant off*
Because thats BADDASSS!!!!
Old 04-21-2003, 03:21 PM
Sabre

Since your install is without a sub, are you getting enough bass response out of the speakers alone? I'm not looking to thump the guy in the next vehicle. Just want to feel the base myself.

*rant on*
*rant off*

John C.
I think for most people not into the whole audio scene, having no sub woofer will be fine. However, hearing those low notes hit is nice. I'm looking for a good 10" SQL sub. I'll probably get an IDQ 10". I don't want to "boom" either.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:46 PM
emu29

Default Re: Head Unit replacement -- Thanks, Scafremon!

Originally posted by z350z

http://www.scafremon.com/dashremoval/dash_removal.htm

Taking everything apart is easy when you know how to do it. I got the compatible wiring harness that plugs right into the factory connectors, so it was just a matter of soldering up a bunch of wires on the workbench to connect the receiver's harness to the adapter, and then everything just plugged in. I got the Metra dash kit. It has a nice clean look, and the storage bin is a very handy place to put CDs (not many are needed when you can fit around 200 songs on a CD-R!).

Thanks, Scaf!

Here's a photo:
Thanks for the step by step...I had the amp replaced in my Touring which resolved the over base and flucuating volume, however the system is still a Blose system. I plan to email Bose re this opinion.

I am thinking of having a new system put in and your instructions will be helpful to the installers....MY PROBLEM IS THAT WHEN I OPEN THE LINK ABOVE THE PICTURE BOXES ARE BLANK WITH A SMALL x IN THE UPPER LEFT HAND CORNER. ANY SUGGESTIONS?...MY ISP IS AOL...NOT SURE IF THE PROBLEM IS THE INTERNET EXPLORER I AM USING. LOVE TO BE ABLE TO PRINT YOUR INSTRUCTIONS WITH PICTURES. THANKS.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:18 PM
Scafremon

Default Re: Re: Head Unit replacement -- Thanks, Scafremon!

Originally posted by emu29
MY PROBLEM IS THAT WHEN I OPEN THE LINK ABOVE THE PICTURE BOXES ARE BLANK WITH A SMALL x IN THE UPPER LEFT HAND CORNER. ANY SUGGESTIONS
Try this link.

http://www.350zfrenzy.com/diy/center_console/index.php
Old 04-22-2003, 08:29 PM
rodH

*rant on*
*rant off*

John C.
b/c those people have NO CLUE what true audio should sound like. You would NEVER EVER hear a system like that in a TRUE AUDIOPHILE (home) system, those guys get laughed at by the true audio community.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:44 AM
Marked350Z

Head Unit replacement -- Thanks, Scafremon!

I also wanted to thank Scafremon, I did my stereo install this past weekend and it was awesome having the detailed instructions. I installed my new Sony MP80 with the CD changer and everything works perfectly.

Thanks!!!!!!!
Old 04-23-2003, 08:42 PM
emu29

Default Re: Re: Re: Head Unit replacement -- Thanks, Scafremon!

Originally posted by Scafremon
Try this link.

http://www.350zfrenzy.com/diy/center_console/index.php
Thanks, that did the trick.
Old 04-24-2003, 01:23 PM
z350z
Charter Member #13

*rant on*
*rant off*

John C.
Sorry for the late response; I am in Germany right now on a business trip. (But that's not stopping me from visiting the forum!)

The bass is good enough for me, but I do get the feeling that it's really working the speakers hard and making the midrange less accurate than it would be if the speakers were relieved of the task of reproducing those lows. So even though the sound is so much better than before, I am still considering the possibility of putting in a sub. Not to THUMP the world, but just to improve the accuracy of the sound at higher volumes. I am considering the Infinity Basslink because it has a built-in amp and enclose, and is not large or obnoxious looking. I have read good reviews on this sub/amp combo.

But I will probably use it for a while like this. It really is so nice to hear compared to what was there before!

NOTE: I did have to change the rear speakers as well. The stock rears are completely worthless (especially compared with decent fronts) and I did not like the sound of front speakers alone. I read all that bull about "soundstage" and your brain having a problem with sound arriving at your ear a millisecond or so later from the rear speakers, but I don't buy it. The truth for me was that it sounds MUCH MUCH better with all four speakers, so that's what I will listen to!

(The argument about timing from rear speakers interfering with the sound from the front has a lot of flaws besides the obvious proof provided by my own ears: 1) the rear speakers are about the same distance from your ears as the fronts; 2) the right speaker is WAY further from your ears than the left, but I haven't heard anyone mention that as a problem; 3) it takes sound roughly a millisecond to travel a foot of distance. I doubt one or two thousandths of a second are really that obvious. You can argue these points all you like, but you can't argue that in my opinion, it sounded 10 times better with sound in four speakers instead of justr two.)
Old 04-24-2003, 03:42 PM
alphared

Four speakers do sound better. Just got my 4 kappa 63.5i working with my Amp. Man you could make someone's head explode if you crank the volume up. (I have it on 5-6 and its still loud, can't imagine 30) BUT, I did have to offset the gain for the front and the rear. It's true that the rear is too loud, have to give the front more power to get a balance. I did this when I had the speakers powered from the stock headunit, to test it.
Going to install the sub when I finish building the box for it, man its gonna rock.
Not side track, but Scafremon's DIY was pretty useful, but not for headunit. Putting a screen instead
Old 05-20-2003, 02:32 PM
Stone Z

Thumbs up

Thanks Scafremon.....your hard work just helped me a TON in installing my Alpine headunit this evening!

The only complaint I have about the Metra Kit is that the trim ring (ISO mount) that is used that comes with the Metra Kit isn't snapped in snugly....has too much play. Other than that, I'm extremely happy with the way it turned out.

Here's a coulpe pics:
Attached Thumbnails Head Unit replacement -- Thanks, Scafremon!-alpine-metra-1.jpg  
Old 05-20-2003, 02:33 PM
Stone Z

Another
Attached Thumbnails Head Unit replacement -- Thanks, Scafremon!-alpine-metra-2.jpg  
Old 05-20-2003, 02:37 PM
Stone Z

And another
Attached Thumbnails Head Unit replacement -- Thanks, Scafremon!-alpine-metra-3.jpg  
Old 05-20-2003, 02:38 PM
Stone Z

Last one!
Attached Thumbnails Head Unit replacement -- Thanks, Scafremon!-alpine-metra-4.jpg  
Old 05-21-2003, 03:21 PM
Garvin

Did the walk thru get moved? I'm getting ready to do my install soon and was checking the link and found that the dash removal instructions have been replaced with a picture of Alphabet soup!

Quick Reply: Head Unit replacement -- Thanks, Scafremon!