Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Rear Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 07:36 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by blasian
I think he's saying just using the woofer in the rear and the rest in the door.
he wants to do exactly this

Retail Price: $1,799.95

you are still better off with a good component system and a sub..

paying that much for Morel (a) using the 6.5S woofers as your bass is a waste .. or (b) using the 6.5S as rear fill is a waste.

I don't care what anyone says about how hard 6.5's hit.. they will never hit like a set of 10's or 12's
Old 11-13-2007, 08:02 AM
Shyn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i understand that a 6.5 cant hit nearly has hard as a 10 or 12, but for rear fill would a 6.5" woofer be fine considering its frequency range is much better then that of a 10 or 12" subwoofer. I personally like rear fill but it does has to be set up correctly.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:04 AM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doug
he wants to do exactly this

Retail Price: $1,799.95

you are still better off with a good component system and a sub..

paying that much for Morel (a) using the 6.5S woofers as your bass is a waste .. or (b) using the 6.5S as rear fill is a waste.

I don't care what anyone says about how hard 6.5's hit.. they will never hit like a set of 10's or 12's
Holy chit
Old 11-13-2007, 08:56 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

morels FTW
Old 11-13-2007, 08:59 AM
StreetOC192

Getting a 3-way set and putting the woofer behind you and the mid and tweet in front of you will not sound good IMHO. It will sound very disconnected.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:19 AM
350zspl
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 350ZMPH
Plenty...go ahead But remember, I Don't want a competition equipment just something nice. My Z is my daily driving.

keeping in mind that it is all subjective, in my opinion,
better than focal

Morel
Hertz
Rainbow
CDT
Dynaudio
DLS Irridium

but Focal is good

i just took a set of Focal components out of a 2005 acura TL for a customer and he wanted Type RF Comps , even they sounded better than focal

i like paper cone subs, and midranges, and silk tweeters

i do not like metal cone subs, mids and tweeters
Old 11-13-2007, 09:40 AM
doug

Originally Posted by Shyn
i understand that a 6.5 cant hit nearly has hard as a 10 or 12, but for rear fill would a 6.5" woofer be fine considering its frequency range is much better then that of a 10 or 12" subwoofer. I personally like rear fill but it does has to be set up correctly.
and again.. since rear fill on a Z requires you to turn it all the way down because its right next to your ears.. why would you then spend upwards of $1,700 on speakers you are only going to play low? at the optimal volume for rear fill on a Z the $1,700 morel's won't sound any better than the stock bose speakers.. because you hvae to play them so low.. and not putting an amp on morel speakers and driving them low is like putting a Hyndai Elantra motor in a C6 Z06..
Old 11-13-2007, 10:43 AM
350ZMPH

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
Here is my suggestion to you as well as anybody asking the rear fill question.

Before you buy the speakers for rear fill, why don't you try the install without rear fill. Tune it up and see if you are missing the rears. If you are, then go ahead and get a set of whatever YOU want. If you aren't then you saved yourself some money.

And with the 4channel amp it'll give you the option of going active in the front in the future with some REALLY nice separates (not that there is anything wrong with the Focals at all).

An excellent advise Thank you...
Old 11-13-2007, 11:22 AM
doskiez

No rear fill here and I have never looked back. I love just the components in the front and if you time them right they will sound amazing.... Now if only I could hear them over my exhaust while im driving hahahaha
Old 11-13-2007, 11:47 AM
doug

Originally Posted by doskiez
Now if only I could hear them over my exhaust while im driving hahahaha
thats the only way i can get rid of my drone at low RPMS
Old 11-13-2007, 05:03 PM
vnarang

I use the rear speakers, and changed em out, theyre Infinity's ill tell you that, but I forgot the model. lol
Old 11-14-2007, 03:49 AM
350ZMPH

Originally Posted by 350zspl
keeping in mind that it is all subjective, in my opinion,
better than focal

Morel
Hertz
Rainbow
CDT
Dynaudio
DLS Irridium

but Focal is good

i just took a set of Focal components out of a 2005 acura TL for a customer and he wanted Type RF Comps , even they sounded better than focal

i like paper cone subs, and midranges, and silk tweeters

i do not like metal cone subs, mids and tweeters

What is the different in sound (quality)from paper cones and metal cones?
Old 11-14-2007, 03:58 AM
StreetOC192

Paper tends to be warmer, dare I say more realistic, but unless it has a top notch coating it may not last in the harsh environment of a car door (i'm talking 5 years lasting long). Paper is preferred amongst audiophiles for home speakers, but due to the car being exposed to the elements they lost some ground in the car audio market. Better coatings are developed all the time which have placed paper back in the market as a top contender, but these coatings make the manufacturing process more expensive than stamping out some plastic or metal sheets to make a cone.

Polypropylene (plastic) cones "can" flex and distort more easily than paper but are more durable than paper. Very cheap to manufacture, but speaker makers tout these as being superior.....i feel it is kind of false advertising.

Aluminum and other alloy cones are the most durable, flex the least, but tend to be cold and punchy, special care is needed in the tuning to warm them up. Not as cheap as plastic or untreated paper, but cheaper than high-end coated paper to manufacture.

EDIT
Kevlar/fiberglass is probably the best blend of everything.....not quite as warm as paper, but warmer than plastic or metal. holds up to the elements as well as metal and plastic, doesn't flex, is lighter than **** (adds to quickness/accuracy). downside is manufacturing is expensive. Actually my favorite subs are fiberglass, made by AVI. I had an 8" AVI in a 6th order bandpass back in 1994 and everyone who got into my 300zx thought I had two 12" subs in the back.

Not to jack the thread, but does anyone know where I can get some AVI's these days? I have looked in the past and couldn't find a retailer. I even contacted AVI in Canada, they told me I can order from them since there are no distributors in my area, but they were going to charge me full msrp and with shipping it was going to cost way too much. I'd like to pick up a couple of their subs and I've always wanted to try their component systems.....supposed to be phenomenal.

Last edited by StreetOC192; 11-14-2007 at 05:12 AM.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:25 AM
350zspl
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

paper cones and silk tweeters produce soft detailed frequency

metal cones and tweets produce brighter , and in most cases harsher reproduction of frequency

when running the kind of power i do metal hurts after a while

like someone blowing a whislte in your ear
Old 11-14-2007, 07:20 AM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

Not to jack the thread, but does anyone know where I can get some AVI's these days? I have looked in the past and couldn't find a retailer. I even contacted AVI in Canada, they told me I can order from them since there are no distributors in my area, but they were going to charge me full msrp and with shipping it was going to cost way too much. I'd like to pick up a couple of their subs and I've always wanted to try their component systems.....supposed to be phenomenal.
AVI is making a big come back which I find funny in a good way, I use their stuff a lot in late 90's - I talked to them at SEMA (they were exhibiting) and they'll also be at CES... I'm certain more delears will be poping up next year, check out their new site for dealer listing...

AVI Authorized Dealers
Old 11-14-2007, 07:33 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by Philthy
AVI is making a big come back which I find funny in a good way, I use their stuff a lot in late 90's - I talked to them at SEMA (they were exhibiting) and they'll also be at CES... I'm certain more delears will be poping up next year, check out their new site for dealer listing...

AVI Authorized Dealers
Yeah, I found that site as well. I'm in NJ though. I sent them an email asking if i can still buy direct. Thanks for the info. I've always loved AVI subs and have heard only good things about their components. They are a bit pricey paying retail, but it's worth it for the quality.

The sub I had was an AVI built 6th order box with their SL200 8" sub. It had a plexiglass window on the front. It was an amazing piece. I bought it used for $350 from Palace Electronics at Franklin Mills mall in Philly.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:15 PM
350ZMPH

I am installing an Avic Z2 HU, an AMP JL 500/1 with 2/10 JL Woofer W3, Focal K2P 6.5 for the front with JL AMP 300/4 and I don't know what should I use for the back speakers, any suggestions?

Hey guys I was thinking about JLw6 instead of JLw3. What would be better?
Old 11-16-2007, 04:00 AM
StreetOC192

Hey guys I was thinking about JLw6 instead of JLw3. What would be better?
Well the w6 of course since it costs more!!! LOL

seriously though, the W3 line is an 'all-around' sub, it doesn't "excel" at any one task. The W6 is geared more towards SQ. It won't have the output levels of the W7 (which is geared more towards SPL, regardless of what you may hear of its SQ).

Just asking a question and i am NOT trying to start yet another freakin "JL sux" bashing thread, but why are you stuck on getting a JL sub? (I would like to hear from 350ZMPH ONLY!)
Old 11-16-2007, 05:07 AM
doug

(I would like to hear from 350ZMPH ONLY!)
Old 11-16-2007, 06:44 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by doug
Thanks doug

Quick Reply: Rear Speakers