Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Wiring A 7001 LCD...should I use the +12V or "remote" as the

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 11:09 AM
KJ-350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring A 7001 LCD...should I use the +12V or "remote" as the

main power for it? the 7001 only has two wires, the normal red pos and black neg. so wondering if I should use the "remote turn-on" from the new headunit and connect that to the power wire of the LCD, so that would trigger the LCD to turn on everytime the headunit did? or would the signal from the headunits remote not be strong enough to run the LCD ? What Im basically trying to accomplish is not having to use the remote control everytime I want to turn on the LCD. Would just rather them both power up/on the same time!
Old 06-06-2003, 03:38 PM
abz123

I set my LCD to come on automatically when it receives power....connected everything so that when I flip one switch my computer/fm modulator/lcd all come on at once. One switch turns everything on and off.

That way I don't really need the extra remotes and it's much more convinent.
Old 06-07-2003, 09:01 AM
rouxeny

I'm not sure how my screen is wired, but there is an option in the menu to have automatic startup. I don't need to use my remote except to switch from video 1 to video 2.
Old 06-07-2003, 10:18 AM
KJ-350

thanks guys...anyone else know / remember how your was not using just a new headunit and not any switches / FM's?
Old 06-08-2003, 10:58 AM
KJ-350

come on guys, I know there are like at least 20 out there that have this LCD! Alittle help please
Old 06-08-2003, 12:56 PM
Feenix

Yeah! Some help would be appreciated. I just installed mine 4 days ago and I use the pos and neg from my HU. It works but it doesn't shut off when the car is turned off you have to make sure its off by pressing the power button on the remote, I've already forgotten to turn it off once so far.
The option in the menu for power direct doesn't do anything for me. Is the remote turn on a 12v power line?? Help us Please!
Old 06-08-2003, 03:38 PM
zaway

Hey guys, when I wired mine I spliced the power cable into my HeadUnit's power cable so whenever the ignition is in the ON position and all the gauges and stuff turn on the LCD would as well. With my LCD if it doesn't receive a signal within a few seconds it turns off and than comes on when it detects signal. The ground I just wired it to the body. When splicing into the HU's power make sure you splice it to the IGNITION wire NOT the BATTERY wire.
Feenix what you did is splice it to the BATTERY wire so the LCD has constant power therefore you need to turn it on and off by hand. If you connect it to the IGNITION wire whenever you turn the ignition to the ON position it will come on, just as the stock HU and the rest of the cluster does.

If you wire your LCD to the remote it would not work because the remote is only 6v not 12v which is what the LCD needs.

Hope that helped.

zaway
Old 06-08-2003, 04:56 PM
abz123

(If I'm reading this right) Unless the LCD turns off automatically when there is no signal, your LCD will be on all the time when you are listening to the radio (when HU is powered on)?
Old 06-08-2003, 06:39 PM
zaway

Well when the ignition is turned on the LCD will go on which is when the HU is on, so you are correct. For my LCD it works perfect. Most of the time I want the LCD on since I have the PC on as well. I do see your point tho. Unless the LCD can automatically turn on and off with signal detection, the only way I could think is wiring it up like I said and just turning it off when it's not needed. If you wire it to the battery you risk draining your battery if you forget to turn it off. Most LCDs do have power saving capabilities tho, but if they don't, leaving the LCD on would not hurt it.

zaway
Old 06-08-2003, 08:47 PM
alphared

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

boy you guys should use the search sometimes.

I post a reply to someone with the same question like last month. If you want to screen to turn on when you put the key in and off when you shut the car down. Connect the Postive from the screen to the First LT GREEN wire on the bigger connector going to the HU. So if you look down on the wires, you see, antenna, big connector, small connector. Then connect the Negative from the screen to the car's ground. Theres a big one if you look up around where the 3 gauges are in the center.

Do not try to connect it to the HU ground. For some strange reason it'll complete the circuit and keep you headunit and screen on even with key out.
Old 06-08-2003, 09:11 PM
Feenix

Thanks zaway! I will rewire it tomorrow night and see what happens.
Old 06-09-2003, 12:44 PM
KJ-350

after trying it a few different ways I finished this little part of my system last night. I ended up using the + and - from the OEM harness and then went into the menu on the LCD and set the detect power option to on. not sure how you other guys did yours and ended up with it working the way you described b/c mine doesnt turn on until I insert a DVD, so Im assuming (with my set-up at least) that once it has a video signal its using that more or less as the "remote turn-on" when sending out the video and is making it power up. maybe it differs depending on the headunit and how it works / runs its video option / out-put!??

Oh and and if it is on when I turn the car off the LCD powers right off with the rest of the pieces it does not stay on like the one guy listed above. And I can still use the remote to manually turn on or off.

Last edited by KJ-350; 06-09-2003 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-09-2003, 12:52 PM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the "ACC" line is not a good wire to use, nor is a amp turn on wire from an aftermarket HU. It pulses the voltage and makes the screen or whatever flicker (in my trials).