Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Will the Focal 165W Utopia fit in the stock locations

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 07:20 PM
sirsycho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will the Focal 165W Utopia fit in the stock locations

I am sending my Z in to gut the stock Bose system, but I want to maintain a mostly stock look (with the exception of the HU). What I'm planning so far is:

Focal 165W - in the doors stock locations (6.5" midbass and 1" tweeter) The kicker is that the depth on the 6.5" is just over 3" (3.07" to be exact) and I'm curioius if the door will go back together without issue.

Focal 165CA - Coaxial 6.5's in the rear stock locations (these I'm not too worried about)

Focal 27WX - in the stock location which will be a sealed fiberglassed enclosure.

Diamond D5 1200.1 - to run the subs

Diamond D5 600.4 - to run everything else

Eclipse CD8443 - HU with 8V preouts

I've tried doing searches on this forum but apparently that functionality is broke at the moment, so I've been reading what other people have installed and checking the mounting depth on their speakers...so far nothing is around the 3" mark. Anyone out there know if this will work? It goes in next Monday (the 23rd) and I need to start getting parts ordered so any help would be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks..

SS
Old 06-15-2003, 10:54 PM
Zsilverstone13

I think you can fit the 165W in the stock location, but you probably need the spacers. I remember quite a few people on this board has 165W install in their Zs.
Old 06-18-2003, 07:55 AM
nlauri

Spacers is all you need
You can see my install at http://groups.msn.com/my350zcompixes
Old 06-18-2003, 11:01 AM
sirsycho

Default thanks

Thanks Nlauri... I ran into your pics while looking through the sub pics post. Nice job by the way .

So the door panels fit back on without a problem...the surrounds don't touch?

Oh and I've heard a lot of "smack" about the Utopias not sounding so great in-car. What do you think of them?

Thanks.

SS
Old 06-19-2003, 07:48 AM
nlauri

Default Re: thanks

Originally posted by sirsycho
Thanks Nlauri... I ran into your pics while looking through the sub pics post. Nice job by the way .

So the door panels fit back on without a problem...the surrounds don't touch?

Oh and I've heard a lot of "smack" about the Utopias not sounding so great in-car. What do you think of them?

Thanks.

SS
To me the tweeters are VERY bright in the car even with the crossover tuned in the negative. I like very bright but on some classic rock songs the guitar solos can be piercing as to almost hurt. The mid bass is awesome and what you are paying the big bucks for. Overall I would do it again. These are the only speakers I have heard that make me feel like I have a live concert in my car. I have never heard Dynaudio though and they are supposed to be in the same class. Trouble is the speakers sound diferent in your car than in the showroom.