Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

JL W7 in the back of my Z ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 12:09 PM
Da K00l Aid Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So for overall quality, what exactly is BAD about the W7 ?
Old 02-07-2008, 12:09 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Da K00l Aid Man
SQ to the extent that I just want to add it on to my head unit purchase. The sub is not a necessity right now, I was just trying to a. do a little research and b. get opinions on the subs.

Also, for those recommending other subs, can you provide me some links so that I can see the specs/looks and everything on the ones you are recommending ?

Originally Posted by doug
1) Image Dynamics IDMax 10
2) FI Q 10"
3) Resonant Engineering SE 10

all better value for performance than a w7.. i wouldn't take a JL Sub if you were giving it to me for free

1) http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=5031 <-- probably the best sub i have ever heard in my life
2) http://www.ficaraudio.com <-- best bang for the buck
3) http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=4909 <-- have two of these bad boys in my car now
4) http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=6225 <-- the IDQ i mentioned
Old 02-07-2008, 12:10 PM
doug

the w7 is a good sub.. but for the price.... those 4 i told you about will be a better value.. and the IDMax will flat out perform better than the w7
Old 02-07-2008, 12:12 PM
350zspl
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nothing is bad about it

please do not get upset

fine sub

i just would buy something else

many members use JL , i am sure you will be happy with it

i feel if you did your system , listened to it , then swaped the sub for an FIQ you would like the FI over the JL

you said you heard alpine, Rf , JL

we are only trying to help you make a better choice , and have your money better spent

no problem , good luck with whatever your choice is my friend
Travis 350zspl
Old 02-07-2008, 12:12 PM
doug

^^ honestly, my main choice was from hearing them in several of my friends cars over the years. That and I like the clean look that the sub has.
your friends only know what they heard from other people.. who heard from other people.. thats why JL wins tops in the marketing game..
Old 02-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Da K00l Aid Man

I appreciate the response. I'm definitely going to check out those IDMax's and see if there is a shop around here so that I can listen to them.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:15 PM
350zspl
Banned

Da Kool Aid Man

these JL post get plenty of attention

i only offer you my experience for free

i have used 8 subs in my Z in 2007 alone

i can tell you what sounds best , even though our ears are different
Old 02-07-2008, 12:17 PM
Da K00l Aid Man

Originally Posted by 350zspl
nothing is bad about it

please do not get upset

fine sub

i just would buy something else

many members use JL , i am sure you will be happy with it

i feel if you did your system , listened to it , then swaped the sub for an FIQ you would like the FI over the JL

you said you heard alpine, Rf , JL

we are only trying to help you make a better choice , and have your money better spent

no problem , good luck with whatever your choice is my friend
Travis 350zspl

I'm not getting upset I definitely wouldn't get upset over opinions, otherwise I wouldn't have posted the question lol

I definitely appreciate the input, and am going to look into the other brands. Being completely new to car audio in my cars, I don't really know any of the brands out there, aside from the mainstream stuff, so thats why I came here
SuperBlack350z

It's like this, some people will buy a product because of brand. If my job was to preach all over the forums to people who buy mods that are expensive as hell but can buy another product that will perform the same or better, i would be busy all day. Brands are important to people. Tell the people who buy ARC products, to the authentic NISMO products..etc.

It's like telling a rapper that JL is bad so just go with a brand he never heard of or many people that don't know for that matter. Sounds better or not, he will choose the brand name audio stuff. Like people said before, JL has good marketing.

I can have some Jenson subs that sounds a lot better than other people but most people would think i have a shitty system simply because it's made by Jensen.
doug

I appreciate the response. I'm definitely going to check out those IDMax's and see if there is a shop around here so that I can listen to them.
my buddy told me recently he was getting a sub for his new Jetta.. a RF sub.. i told him.. get 1 single IDMax 12 .. if he doesn't like the way it sounds.. i will personally buy it from him and put it in my jeep for what he paid for it..

he choose to buy the RF sub anyway.. its kind of hard when people have their minds set.. one day i will get that IDMax for my jeep and when he hears it.. he will say yeah.. you were right.. but its just how life is..
Old 02-07-2008, 12:21 PM
Da K00l Aid Man

I work part time in a Magnolia Home Theater and I get the same crap all day long. People coming in with quotes like "Bose has the best sounding surround sound speakers". So I can definitely relate to that. Like I said, I only know the mainstream brands, and I didn't necessarily want to limit myself to that, so I asked
Old 02-07-2008, 12:22 PM
doug

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z
I can have some Jenson subs that sounds a lot better than other people but most people would think i have a shitty system simply because it's made by Jensen.
i understand what you are saying.. but its really not the same thing..

I have rainbow components in my car.. and my cousin who is an audio buff said..what the hell is rainbow..

now someone who is deep into car audio will look at jensen system and say.. wow.. jensen? LOL but will look at rainbow and say.. wow.. thats really nice..
Old 02-07-2008, 12:29 PM
SuperBlack350z

I have rainbow components in my car.. and my cousin who is an audio buff said..what the hell is rainbow..

now someone who is deep into car audio will look at jensen system and say.. wow.. jensen? LOL but will look at rainbow and say.. wow.. thats really nice..
People in my area really can even care less about speakers. Which pisses me off. They will have those speaker horns or whatever..just want to be loud as possible.

When you look at the majority of people who have systems in their cars, they use stock speakers and get an amp, subs, and head unit. The sub is probably the most important to people. I find it funny when people already think they know about a product before even listen. Like saying RF gets real loud, JL has good SQ, kicker gets loud but has no SQ. I think it's funny sometimes.

When i go to the barber shop, i open my trunk, people are amazed at JL because they see that rappers and celebrities on tv have it and automatically think it's like HIGH END stuff or something. Brand plays a minor part in audio for me. Especially amps and subs. But i will buys speakers that sound good, no matter what brand or history. Just like car parts, people will always buy products of brand name.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:32 PM
350zspl
Banned

I work part time in a Magnolia Home Theater and I get the same crap all day long. People coming in with quotes like "Bose has the best sounding surround sound speakers". So I can definitely relate to that. Like I said, I only know the mainstream brands, and I didn't necessarily want to limit myself to that, so I asked

no highs
no lows
it's a bose

mainstream for me kicker is the choice L7 can sound great

kicker is a great product

it comes down to 90% install and 10% equipment choice

it is nice to know that RE with their MT , or FI with their subs, or RD with the heavyweight, and super heavy weight

these subs are custom made for you , not off a pallet in a warehouse

Last edited by 350zspl; 02-07-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:34 PM
350zspl
Banned

i love me Rainbows

rainbows are fantastic

again 90% install

take rainbow 6.5" and 3/4" tweet install in factory location

take Jensen components and install the 6.5" and 1" tweets in Bings kicks

which will sound better

the lesser product in the better install
Old 02-07-2008, 12:45 PM
Tac-M

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
Easy Tac-M, put the pieces away

It's not so much 'hatin' as it is realizing that there are better values out there, especially if paying retail for JL equipment. There are independent brands out there that may make (arguably) a better product for less money. That is all.

^ LOL anyway, every time someone posts anything regarding a JL product there is a swarm of negative comments... this is like a dreaded " speeding RSX "quote...

There is nothing wrong with JL ,a nd yes there are better products, and "HELL NO" no one should shop @ " get hit in the CROTCHfield "
Old 02-07-2008, 12:55 PM
350zspl
Banned

Originally Posted by Tac-M
^ LOL anyway, every time someone posts anything regarding a JL product there is a swarm of negative comments... this is like a dreaded " speeding RSX "quote...

There is nothing wrong with JL ,a nd yes there are better products, and "HELL NO" no one should shop @ " get hit in the CROTCHfield "
you are correct in saying JL posts are Dumped on

i do not feel that we are dumping in a Nasty way, or being that un-professional about it
Old 02-09-2008, 06:37 AM
finalfantasy316

this id max looks like its a competition type of sub which isn't that bad. now i know look aren't everything here but wow that sub doesn't even look like it could handle 100w. just off of look s alone that jl w7 seems like it would handle more because it looks beefier ya know. but thats all going off of looks.

from the numbers though the id max does seem like it would be the choice to go with. but there are other subs out there that are just like that but there not recommended for anything else other than competition ya know what i mean. you can go out and the RFL, Kicker has there Solo X, and you cant forget about the the Jackhammer. those three subs are competition subs and they just wont hold up for everyday use because thats not what they are meant for.

i looked on the id max website and they even say that sub is a competition sub. there is a difference. i am personally a kicker fan and always have been i happen to have a 10 inch l7 in my z. money not being an issue here but there is a reason why i dont have a solo x because subs like that aren't meant for the everyday abuse.

but it sounds like alot of people here swear by this sub and if thats the case i shall purchase one and find out for myself. hell if anything i hope you guys are right for real.

so this is not a cap on that sub at all guys i just want to bring that out there but it just seems like other subs like that are strictly for competition. i will buy one very soon and try it out. thanks for the suggestion.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:35 AM
liven Z life

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

u dont need to pay 500 for a 10 inch w7 i know where u can buy a new one for 375... if u wanna know the site pm idk if its against the rules to post the site?
Old 02-09-2008, 08:37 AM
Get_Zwole

1) Image Dynamics IDMax 10
2) FI Q 10"
3) Resonant Engineering SE 10

all better value for performance than a w7.. i wouldn't take a JL Sub if you were giving it to me for free
agreed im ready to get my jl sub outta here for a FI

Quick Reply: JL W7 in the back of my Z ??