Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Ipod solution

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 02:02 PM
elgat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ipod solution

Hi im a 3 week old Z user totally in love with my new car .
There is only 1 downside and is that after getting the Z with all the possible extras ( Navigator / Seats / Wheels / Bluetooth ) Ive come to find that the Sound system is rather out of date for the times that we live in.

The CD doesnt read MP3 and It doesnt have an Ipod jack.

Now Im willing to upgrade but Nissan originals dont have any solution so Ive been around a couple of Car audio stores and the solution they provide is changing the CD player for a new 1 Alpine / Pioneer but l will be loosing my bluetooth connection from the steering wheel for the telephone so ill have to install another bluetooth phone reciever

This solution doesnt satisfy me so Im wondering if anyone has an Ipod in their Z and is using the original Nissan setup.

Sorry if my english isnt the best
Old 02-21-2008, 02:03 PM
Fairly Z

Don't change the factory equipment if you don't want to. Use a USA Spec PA11-NIS.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:23 PM
lucky350

man when i was 3 weeks old i couldnt even walk, let alone drive/type/buy a Z

hahah i had too, its been a long day.

if you decide to go aftermarket try woofersetc.com , i have made some purchases there in the past and were way cheaper than retail. shop around, find what you like then find the best deal and do it up.

the more goodies you have has a downside, higher chance of break ins or theft.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:30 PM
trodis
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by elgat
Hi im a 3 week old Z user totally in love with my new car .
There is only 1 downside and is that after getting the Z with all the possible extras ( Navigator / Seats / Wheels / Bluetooth ) Ive come to find that the Sound system is rather out of date for the times that we live in.

The CD doesnt read MP3 and It doesnt have an Ipod jack.

Now Im willing to upgrade but Nissan originals dont have any solution so Ive been around a couple of Car audio stores and the solution they provide is changing the CD player for a new 1 Alpine / Pioneer but l will be loosing my bluetooth connection from the steering wheel for the telephone so ill have to install another bluetooth phone reciever

This solution doesnt satisfy me so Im wondering if anyone has an Ipod in their Z and is using the original Nissan setup.

Sorry if my english isnt the best

I understand the frustration. You spend all the money on the best Nissan has to offer and when you try to use an IPOD there are no factory options. I have the IPOD adapters for the car that transmit over the radio. It is not the best setup, but it works. I know there are some people that have some aftermarket mounts that you can hookup and then rewire. If you do not want to go through the trouble, then an aftermarket headunit is the only way to go. Good luck.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Fairly Z

Originally Posted by trodis
I understand the frustration. You spend all the money on the best Nissan has to offer and when you try to use an IPOD there are no factory options. I have the IPOD adapters for the car that transmit over the radio. It is not the best setup, but it works. I know there are some people that have some aftermarket mounts that you can hookup and then rewire. If you do not want to go through the trouble, then an aftermarket headunit is the only way to go. Good luck.
Not true... How lucky you are that I forum troll. The PA11-NIS will interface directly with the stock head unit, BOSE or NON BOSE. It has nothing to do with R/F frequencies. And it's cheap.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:37 PM
elgat

Originally Posted by Fairly Z
Don't change the factory equipment if you don't want to. Use a USA Spec PA11-NIS.
I live in Barcelona ( Spain ) what would be really helpfull is somethin I could link to to actually point out to these doods at the car audio stores . I find it hard to believe I actualy have to change the radio.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:41 PM
trodis
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Fairly Z
Not true... How lucky you are that I forum troll. The PA11-NIS will interface directly with the stock head unit, BOSE or NON BOSE. It has nothing to do with R/F frequencies. And it's cheap.
well there ya go, you learn something new each day
Old 02-21-2008, 02:41 PM
elgat

Yes this solution they have offered me but they also pointed out that if they like leave it at 87.5 mhz and you run into a town that has a station on that frecuency you get sound mixups. What im afraid of is doin somethin and it bein a mess these guys arent wizz people and all they say is that a Z isnt a big sellable car so the big companies like pioneer or alpine dont offer solutions .
Old 02-21-2008, 02:44 PM
trodis
350Z-holic

Yes this solution they have offered me but they also pointed out that if they like leave it at 87.5 mhz and you run into a town that has a station on that frecuency you get sound mixups. What im afraid of is doin somethin and it bein a mess these guys arent wizz people and all they say is that a Z isnt a big sellable car so the big companies like pioneer or alpine dont offer solutions .
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=350z+PA11-NIS

believe this is what the poster above was talking about
Old 02-21-2008, 03:16 PM
Chemy350

but that only works for 2006 and below huh... I have a 2007
Old 02-21-2008, 03:23 PM
elgat

Ive read the post and it looks like a real good solution my biggest question now is has my european Nissan 350 z got the same input jacks.
125$ isnt a lot and i could order 1 tommorrow on ebay but maybe the jacks are totally diferent..... im gonna print out a photo of the back of the radio and ask a car audio guy to see if its the same as mine
Old 02-21-2008, 06:13 PM
Tomek350Z

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Elgat keep us posted if it turns to work out.......
i have the radio transmitter like trodis....but its terriblely quiet and static as it gets louder....and thats in good weather....
Old 02-21-2008, 08:27 PM
davidpham

pa11-nis works fine in my 08 non bose.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:21 PM
lionheartednyhc

the USASpec works with 07-08 as well. Just installed mine today, and it works wonders. Ill post a pic tomorrow with the install, if i get a chance. But definately worth the money if you dont want to upgrade the system.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:50 AM
elgat

Originally Posted by lionheartednyhc
the USASpec works with 07-08 as well. Just installed mine today, and it works wonders. Ill post a pic tomorrow with the install, if i get a chance. But definately worth the money if you dont want to upgrade the system.

Tommorrow mornin Im going to a car audio guy to get him to uninstall my Bose radio to see if its the same as you guys in the US I rang Nissan this morning but if you dont have a problem they arent interested in solving your random questions ( its the same with any Company here in spain )so Ive decided to pay a guy to get him yo show me the back of my radio.

Ive got a pic in my telephone of the link you guys gave me and if its the same well Ill probably purchase one of these USA spec stuff . As I pm'd Fairly Z these 3 guys i asked for an estimate where going over 1K euros to install new radio new bluetooth and messing up my steeringwheel setup so even tho im probably throwin away my money ( cos the guy who is doin it says my radio has no jack input as the pic states it DOES ) at least I wont be able to say I didnt try.

If my European Bose radio isnt the same as you US guys then Ill probably be left with the solo option of using a FM modulator and I dont expect much quality from that. Loosing my steering wheel gadgets is outta the question I have my fingers crossed that the radio is the same so ill keep you updated.

On a side mark Id like to thank you for giving me something to look for as I could be saving myself over 1000 $
Old 02-22-2008, 04:00 AM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lionheartednyhc
I'd like to see this. Thinking of doing the same in my non Bose 2007 Nismo Z.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:37 PM
clark_carty

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed the Nissan factory iPod adapter in my 2005 35th Z without any issues. It plugs into the Satellite Port on the back of the radio and fools it into thinking it's a satellite box.

Search on the internet for nissan ipod adapter. Many sites sell the cables and adapters.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:58 PM
lionheartednyhc

Here is a pic of where the ipod is. Didnt take a pic of the actual unit though.. It works wonderfully, with only one complaint. In the 07-08, you cannot use shuffle on your ipod, which sucks in my opinion. It only will play in the order of the playlist, and if you have shuffle turned on in the Ipod, it will turn it off. Kind of annoying! (anyone else had this issue? If so, did you fix it?) Only other thing to note is that you will not be able to use XM, as it takes up the same port.
Attached Thumbnails Ipod solution-dsc00082.jpg  

Last edited by lionheartednyhc; 02-22-2008 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:06 PM
lionheartednyhc

Tommorrow mornin Im going to a car audio guy to get him to uninstall my Bose radio to see if its the same as you guys in the US I rang Nissan this morning but if you dont have a problem they arent interested in solving your random questions ( its the same with any Company here in spain )so Ive decided to pay a guy to get him yo show me the back of my radio.

Ive got a pic in my telephone of the link you guys gave me and if its the same well Ill probably purchase one of these USA spec stuff . As I pm'd Fairly Z these 3 guys i asked for an estimate where going over 1K euros to install new radio new bluetooth and messing up my steeringwheel setup so even tho im probably throwin away my money ( cos the guy who is doin it says my radio has no jack input as the pic states it DOES ) at least I wont be able to say I didnt try.

If my European Bose radio isnt the same as you US guys then Ill probably be left with the solo option of using a FM modulator and I dont expect much quality from that. Loosing my steering wheel gadgets is outta the question I have my fingers crossed that the radio is the same so ill keep you updated.

On a side mark Id like to thank you for giving me something to look for as I could be saving myself over 1000 $
Does your CD changer have a button labeled CD Changer, or something of the sort? If it does, it will work. No need to waste your time unistalling/reinstalling the unit.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:35 AM
davidpham

if you have non bose w/out XM or CD changer buttons, once you install the PA11-NIS, your CDCHG function will engage when you tap the CD button twice. this will only happen after you install in the port on your stock HU.

hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Ipod solution