Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Some questions concerning system 2007-08

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008 | 06:00 AM
Son of Mad Dog

Default Some questions concerning system 2007-08

So im looking at buying a 350z.

I want ipod input, bluetooh and navigation.
but dont want to buy the touring car. (i can do base or enth).

I want cruise (450 mile drive home more often than not) so that gives me the obvious choice of enth.

is there a system that gives navi (such as one of the kenwoods/alpine units).
that can have bluetooth? and if i do go with a enth, can i use the wheel mounted controls?

If possible (and money works its way into my pocket.) Id want to do a remote lcd screen in the cubby since it appears none of the Double DIN units fit in the cubby hole.

or should i just go ahead and start planning on building a custom carputer that does navi/bluetooth/ipod and such?

also, if enth, do i have to replace all the speakers to get decent sound?

trying to do this on a budget or bit by bit and plan ahead. (hence why in asking questions like this before purchasing the car itself.)

its all this, or can cruise be modified to fit onto the base model... which seems highly improbable.
Old 05-12-2008 | 07:13 AM
Benny Kyke
Banned

Hey man, you do know approximately one million people are going to bust your ***** for not searching this post before hand, rest assured I wont cause I'm guilty of the same crime from time to time. Sometimes we just want peoples input when we decide to spend a large portion of money. Anyways, moving along, I'm just going to tell you what I did. I bought a 2007 enthusiast for the same reason, I wanted the cruise control and quickly after purchasing I knew I wanted GPS because once you have it in one vehicle you want it in all of them. Me personally, I chose Pioneer. I bought a Pioneer Avic Z2, it is a double din unit which will replace the ugly factory unit with a nice clean appearance. There is a nice list of attachments to add on so it can meet your requirements. I bought the Pioneer ND-BT1, it is a blue tooth adapter so you can use a blue tooth compatible cell phone for hands free driving via the vehicle speakers and supplied microphone. I also purchased the Pioneer CD-IB100II, this is what your looking for, the IPOD adapter and as you can see in the picture I supplied, it also has that adapter which is inside the cubby hole. As far as your steering wheel mounted controls, your in luck because there is a great little gadget called the PAC-SWI and it will enable you to retain your factory wheels controls after some programming. Hope this helps out in your quest. I almost forgot to mention, the head unit in the picture is not the Avic Z2, it is the AVIC D3 but they are the same size, the Z2 is just a little nicer the D3 is awesome if you are on a budget like you claim. You will really enjoy it. Good Luck
Attached Thumbnails Some questions concerning system 2007-08-350z-aciv-d3.jpg  
Old 05-12-2008 | 07:16 AM
lionheartednyhc

Originally Posted by Son of Mad Dog
So im looking at buying a 350z.

I want ipod input, bluetooh and navigation.
but dont want to buy the touring car. (i can do base or enth).

I want cruise (450 mile drive home more often than not) so that gives me the obvious choice of enth.

is there a system that gives navi (such as one of the kenwoods/alpine units).
that can have bluetooth? and if i do go with a enth, can i use the wheel mounted controls?

If possible (and money works its way into my pocket.) Id want to do a remote lcd screen in the cubby since it appears none of the Double DIN units fit in the cubby hole.

or should i just go ahead and start planning on building a custom carputer that does navi/bluetooth/ipod and such?

also, if enth, do i have to replace all the speakers to get decent sound?

trying to do this on a budget or bit by bit and plan ahead. (hence why in asking questions like this before purchasing the car itself.)

its all this, or can cruise be modified to fit onto the base model... which seems highly improbable.
Avica as stated above. And no...no need to replace anything else but the HU.

-Beezlebub
Old 05-12-2008 | 07:22 AM
Benny Kyke
Banned

Also about your speaker question and everyone will probably agree here, the OEM speakers blow big ball sacks. You would get better sound be replacing the OEM speakers with any brand of after market speakers, period. You could go to wal-mart and buy those cute Sony explodes (6.5") throw them in and they would produce a better sound then the crap OEM speakers. Plus if you do move into the realm of LCD navigation head units you will have access to all sorts of audio controls so you will need at least some after market speakers to get decent sound out of the deck. Alright man, good look hunting.
Old 05-12-2008 | 07:40 AM
Son of Mad Dog

i did search some, but as usual for noobs at a car forum i suck at it.
Besides what i was looking for was damn broad.

Im from clemson and know a few of teh 350z guys from there (xtopher or w/e he goes by on here (i think cusomething or other))
but i dont think hes into audio (just powa).

Thanks Benny thats just the type of info i was looking for. whats the going price for all that so i can start crying now.

this of course means i have to get off my *** on deciding between waiting to see if i puke when i see the 370 or just jump the gun and get a 350..

define bad speakers. my mazda3 has a 25 watt sound system and they sound ok for me. not my dads 545i but good enough for general listening.

the reason i brought up a carputer is that i "watch" top gear during my long drives (have it playing in the background which makes the miles disappear).
will these fancy avic that i have never actually seen in person show the video from the ipod? (i like to glance at the video every now and then.)

NOTE: i did some lookin on the AVIC d3 and z2. The d3 is better price wise, but the whole dvd nav that is slow and has to have the dvd in while driving is a big negative for me. That being said, i probably will be using the ipod more often than not. So it may not be that bad of a negative. and DAMN is teh z2 expensive. Is pioneer the only system like this or will most of the double dins utilize wheel controls and do everything else quick and spiffy like above?

Last edited by Son of Mad Dog; 05-12-2008 at 08:34 AM.