Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Anything else besides JL Audio

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 07:10 PM
yella

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anything else besides JL Audio

Sup everyone

I wanted a 12w7 but reading all these forums about it is making me change my mind...a lot of people said JL Audio is good but its over priced...and that you can get same or better quality then a W7...

I was wondering whats something cheaper and comparable to a W7?
Need sub/amp/box I was thinking about getting the zenclosure for the box on ebay.

I already have a Pioneer z2 so just looking for a good 12

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2008, 08:18 PM
KelekonaKustoms

Image Dynamics IDMAX
Old 05-19-2008, 08:50 PM
crawfeesh

Stereo Integrity Mag
Old 05-20-2008, 02:20 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by yella
Sup everyone

I wanted a 12w7 but reading all these forums about it is making me change my mind...a lot of people said JL Audio is good but its over priced...and that you can get same or better quality then a W7...

I was wondering whats something cheaper and comparable to a W7?
Need sub/amp/box I was thinking about getting the zenclosure for the box on ebay.

I already have a Pioneer z2 so just looking for a good 12

Thanks!
FI Q - http://www.ficaraudio.com
Old 05-20-2008, 03:40 AM
StreetOC192

budget?
SQ or SPL?
How much power are you going to feed it?
How much power will be fed to your fronts?
What kind of music do you listen to?
You NEED a 12" or would a 10" make you happy?
Old 05-20-2008, 08:03 AM
yella

budget - 600 for amp and sub? i mean i wanted a 12w7 so anything in that price range or cheaper but same or better quality than a jl audio
i wanna feed it as much power the sub can handle
The fronts its gonna be stock for now (reason why i want a strong sub is because i can always turn it up if i wanted to)
I listen to rap, trance
i was thinking about a 10 also but didnt know if it would sound good for rap music
Old 05-20-2008, 08:48 AM
dj.kickz

wow as much as I love to recommend an FI Q if you're going to have stock fronts you probably should go with something well weaker.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:20 AM
StreetOC192

budget - 600 for amp and sub? i mean i wanted a 12w7 so anything in that price range or cheaper but same or better quality than a jl audio
i wanna feed it as much power the sub can handle
The fronts its gonna be stock for now (reason why i want a strong sub is because i can always turn it up if i wanted to)
I listen to rap, trance
i was thinking about a 10 also but didnt know if it would sound good for rap music
By "for now", can we assume you have plans to upgrade in the future? If not, then you don't need a lot of power to the sub.

If you will be planning to upgrade eventually, then there are so many stinkin options out there it could make your head spin.

Starting with amps, this really depends on the sub you pick. And one quality brand is really no better than another quality brand. So any quality amp that will provide at least the rms power for the sub is sufficient.

Now to subs that will be similar/better than a jl w7.......
This sub will crush the hell out of a w7
AudioPulse Revo 12" dual 2 ohm ($450)

http://www.funkywaves.net/catalog.cfm?item=revo_12

Also look at:
IDMax
Diamond D9
Fi
RE
Soundsplinter
Digital Designs
Old 05-20-2008, 10:34 AM
TimeAttkZ

I am in this exact same situation. I would like to go with 1 10" or 12" sub in a Zenclosures box.

Like the OP, I was looking to buy a JL 10w7 and a JL 500/1 amp. I heard that this is a great set-up but like the OP I don't want to go with JL stuff just because there the most popular. If I can spend less and get more then Im down for that.

Yella, are you going to run a 10" or a 12". Im still trying to decide which to run.

StreetOC if you had around $600 to play with what combo sub/amp would you go with. I know thats a loaded question but I really am uneducated in the audio world.

Looking for clean sound but I would like it to hit pretty hard for having only 1 sub. Listen to Rap, Electronic, Indie Rock etc

Im currently have the Avic d3 and thats all.

Last edited by TimeAttkZ; 05-20-2008 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:39 AM
savvy

i have a 10w7 and have absolutely nothing bad to say about it. Price off ebay was reasonable and pounds hard enough to make my head hurt. I probably should have done dual 8's instead, i'm sure even that would have been enough.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:45 AM
TimeAttkZ

Originally Posted by savvy
i have a 10w7 and have absolutely nothing bad to say about it. Price off ebay was reasonable and pounds hard enough to make my head hurt. I probably should have done dual 8's instead, i'm sure even that would have been enough.
what amp are u running ?
Old 05-20-2008, 11:04 AM
Ichigo

I currently use last years M3 subs from Memphis Audio. I'm working out a deal to upgrade my current subs to the new line of M3 subs.

M310D4:
http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/subs.html#cast_subs

I dont know how they compare to others mentioned here, but I like them for the price.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:08 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by savvy
I hope you haven't misunderstood. It has been said many times throughout these boards that there is nothing wrong with the performance of JL subs....they are good quality. What some of us do have a problem with is the premium price that JL charges for their equipment. If you get it via an avenue that yields you a significant savings then you did well and you got a good piece of equipment. If you pay anything near retail, then you could have gotten much better equipment for the same price.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:12 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by TimeAttkZ
StreetOC if you had around $600 to play with what combo sub/amp would you go with. I know thats a loaded question but I really am uneducated in the audio world.
The electronic and indie rock genres benefit from a nice crisp clean sub, but will give up a little in the spl that would be beneficial to the rap. For a great sub that I think would work great for you, I would suggest a Zenclosures under strut box (without amp rack) for $140, stuff with 3/4 lb of polyfil, install a Diamond Audio D610 dual 2 ohm sub - wired to 1 ohm (http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=2701) for $209, and run it with a Crossfire VR600D (http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...Product_ID=177) for $340......total $690 including the box.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:18 AM
savvy

what amp are u running ?
edit: i double checked because i forgot, i actually have a

alpine MRD-M1005 750watts RMS @ 3ohm. which puts it just in the overpower range for the sub.

Last edited by savvy; 05-20-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:21 AM
TimeAttkZ

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
The electronic and indie rock genres benefit from a nice crisp clean sub, but will give up a little in the spl that would be beneficial to the rap. For a great sub that I think would work great for you, I would suggest a Zenclosures under strut box (without amp rack) for $140, stuff with 3/4 lb of polyfil, install a Diamond Audio D610 dual 2 ohm sub - wired to 1 ohm (http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=2701) for $209, and run it with a Crossfire VR600D (http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...Product_ID=177) for $340......total $690 including the box.
Wow, thats a big help!

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=5806

I was told this ^ is a great 10" sub for the money too. what do you guys think is a better choice, the Diamond or the Image Dynamics ?
Im sure they are very similar.

Last edited by TimeAttkZ; 05-20-2008 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:30 AM
StreetOC192

Wow, thats a big help!

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=5806

I was told this is a great 10" sub for the money too. what do you guys think is a better choice ?
The IDQ is a fantastic sub as well. You could swap out the Diamond for the IDQ in my suggestion and yield just as good of results.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:38 AM
TimeAttkZ

The IDQ is a fantastic sub as well. You could swap out the Diamond for the IDQ in my suggestion and yield just as good of results.
Thats what I thought. Thanks alot man.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:05 PM
yella

By "for now", can we assume you have plans to upgrade in the future? If not, then you don't need a lot of power to the sub.

If you will be planning to upgrade eventually, then there are so many stinkin options out there it could make your head spin.

Starting with amps, this really depends on the sub you pick. And one quality brand is really no better than another quality brand. So any quality amp that will provide at least the rms power for the sub is sufficient.

Now to subs that will be similar/better than a jl w7.......
This sub will crush the hell out of a w7
AudioPulse Revo 12" dual 2 ohm ($450)

http://www.funkywaves.net/catalog.cfm?item=revo_12

Also look at:
IDMax
Diamond D9
Fi
RE
Soundsplinter
Digital Designs
sounds like you know your stuff
Yeah i will definitely upgrade the components just want a good sub for now and in the future...i know theres no point of turning the sub up when you cant hear the components.. just wanna do it right the first time
I know JL audio is good **** but its pricey i know theres stuff out there better or same for less.

what setup you think i should run? 600 for amp and sub without box something comparable to a w7. i know 600 isnt much im leanin towards a 12 since i listen to rap more than trance...i can just turn the bass down

i know you suggested AudioPulse Revo 12" dual 2 ohm ($450) and it will crush a w7 that might be TOO much for me lol a W7 is pretty bad *** already

Thanks for the help bro!
Old 05-20-2008, 12:27 PM
StreetOC192

sounds like you know your stuff
Yeah i will definitely upgrade the components just want a good sub for now and in the future...i know theres no point of turning the sub up when you cant hear the components.. just wanna do it right the first time
I know JL audio is good **** but its pricey i know theres stuff out there better or same for less.

what setup you think i should run? 600 for amp and sub without box something comparable to a w7. i know 600 isnt much im leanin towards a 12 since i listen to rap more than trance...i can just turn the bass down

i know you suggested AudioPulse Revo 12" dual 2 ohm ($450) and it will crush a w7 that might be TOO much for me lol a W7 is pretty bad *** already

Thanks for the help bro!

AudioPulse Epic 12"
http://www.funkywaves.net/catalog.cfm?item=epic_12

Crossfire VR600D
see link in my above post to TimeAttkZ

Cost a hair over $600 with shipping.

Quick Reply: Anything else besides JL Audio