Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Pioneer DEH-P9800BT - Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 08:23 PM
arumndark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pioneer DEH-P9800BT - Opinions?

Hey folks,

I'm thinking about blowing my govt. check on a new headunit (the responsible thing to do, I know!). Here is my situation:

I have:
Stock 350Z Enthusiast (No Bose)

I would like:
XM Radio
Bluetooth
to spend around $400-500 (give or take)

A touch screen would be nice, but the other features are more important for now (and the units are too expensive to get them all!)

So far, I'm eyeballing the Pioneer DEH-P9800BT
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...EHP980&tp=5684

It seems to have the features I want, but also has some bad reviews mixed in - anyone have an experience with it? Other suggestions?

I will probably leave the rest of the stereo stock for now (sounds fine to me, not looking to entertain people on the streets for now ), but eventually I may give the rest a boost (new speakers, amb, sub), so something expandable might be good too!

Thanks for any input!
Old 06-09-2008, 09:21 PM
Pin69

Bah screw headunits that dont do much. get yourself something worthy of showing off like a 6 disk dvd player touch screen head unit... might cost a little more but its soooo worth it.

Edit: my bad didnt read all the way. Ive been a big fan of panasonic head units for along time, but since my Z came with my touch screen i dont think ill ever go back to a normal unit. Go out and look. find something you really like and enjoy for your price range. You cant play by just browsing the internet. Head out to your local shop. just dont let em suck you in to one unit. happy shopping

Last edited by Pin69; 06-09-2008 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:17 PM
Watkins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it a lot, no issues with it.

Originally Posted by Spike100
I’m considering swapping out my 4 year-old Clarion with a different and newer single-din H/U. I prefer the single-din units since they seem to provide more and better features.

Questions… How do you rate your Pioneer? What kit did you use to mount the device?

--Spike
Originally Posted by Watkins

I have long been a fan of single din headunits, and this model fits the bill perfectly for my taste. I bought my unit from Crutchfield and they included a Metra kit.

There are some anomalies that you get used to, (the multi control ****)

Originally Posted by Crutchfield
Rotary Commander: The large rotary **** on the front panel is a 7-way control that can operate about 90% of the unit's functions and features. The **** can be rotated clockwise and counterclockwise, pressed in, and tilted up, down, left, and right. This feature allows you to easily scroll through files and folders on your MP3/WMA/AAC CDs as well as a connected iPod (via the optional iPod adapter).
instead of two *****, but once you get used to it, the thing is a breeze to use. I have it tied to my Blackberry Curve, so whenever I enter my car, and turn the car on, I never have to take the Blackberry out of my pocket. I can direct dial, voice dial, and go through my phone book right on the Pioneer screen.

Another neat feature is my laptop has Bluetooth, so if I have my laptop in my car, which has 160 gigs of music, I can stream the audio through the stereo system in my car using the Pioneer as the link.

I have been an XM subscriber for years so this was a natural progression to upgrade my older model DEH-7600MP and the colors and display are very cool to look at.

This Pioneer has a bunch of eye candy, from a real time tachometer and voltmeter, and a "organic screen" that you can upload your images to radio really makes for a pretty neat radio.

The audio settings on this unit are pretty amazing; my amplifier is a JL 500/5 driving a JL 10, and JL 6 1/2" components in the doors and rear speakers and this head unit gives me a vast amount of settings to choose from.

Originally Posted by Crutchfield
Time Alignment/Seat Position: The receiver has a built-in DSP (digital signal processor) with time alignment for optimum imaging. You can select the Time Alignment mode depending upon the type of vehicle: Sedan, Wagon, Mini-Van, SUV, or Custom. When custom is selected, you can enter the distance from your seat to the front left, front right, rear left, rear right, subwoofer left, and subwoofer right speakers. After the selection is made, the DSP aligns the output of each speaker so the audio reaches your ears at precisely the correct time. For best stereo image, you can also select a seat position of front left, front right, front or all.

EEQ (Easy EQ): The DEH-P9800BT is equipped with a 16-band graphic EQ with the following center frequencies: 20Hz, 31.5Hz, 50Hz, 80Hz, 125Hz, 200Hz, 315Hz, 500Hz, 800Hz, 1.25kHz, 2kHz, 3.15kHz, 5kHz, 8kHz, 12.5kHz, and 20kHz. There are 5 preset EQ settings: Powerful, Super Bass, Vocal, Natural, and Flat; plus Custom 1 and Custom 2. You can adjust the equalizer curve of the Powerful, Super Bass, Vocal, and Natural presets between -6 and +6. With Custom 1 or Custom 2, you can independently adjust the level of each band from -6 to +6.

Loudness Levels: Loudness compensates for deficiencies in the low and high frequencies at low volumes. When activated, Loudness applies +10dB @100Hz and +6.5dB at 10kHz.

BBE: BBE can reproduce sound very close to the original through phase compensation, high-frequency delay, and amplitude deviation during playback. It makes your music sound like a live performance. You can set the level of BBE from -4 to +4.

Compression and BMX Functions: Using the "COMP" (compression) and "BMX" (Bit Media eXpander) functions, you can adjust the playback quality of the CD player. Each function may be set to one of two levels or off. The "COMP" function compresses the audio signal to eliminate distortion caused by the imbalances between the loudest and softest sounds when played at high volumes. The "BMX" function controls sound reverberations to give playback a fuller sound.

High Pass Filter: If you do not want low frequency sounds to play from the speakers, you can independently turn on the High Pass Filters for the front and rear outputs (front and rear have separate crossovers). The HPF has a selectable cutoff frequency (50Hz, 63Hz, 80Hz,100Hz, 125Hz, 160Hz, or 200 Hz) and slope (-6dB, -12dB, or Pass). Only frequencies higher than those in the selected range are output through the speakers. You can also vary the output of the front and rear channels independently from 0 to -24.

Subwoofer Output: The unit has a dual RCA subwoofer output which can be turned on or off. When turned on, this output has a low-pass filter with selectable cutoff frequencies (50Hz, 63Hz, 80Hz,100Hz, 125Hz, 160Hz, or 200 Hz), phase adjustment (normal/reverse), output level (+6 to -24), and slope (-6dB, -12dB, or -18dB).
Old 06-10-2008, 11:40 AM
arumndark

Great info there, thank you!

Any bad experiences with it? Things that just aren't up to par with the price tag?
Old 06-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Watkins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arumndark
Great info there, thank you!

Any bad experiences with it? Things that just aren't up to par with the price tag?
No issues at all; there are just so many features available with this I think it's worth the price.