Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

3rd seat in the Z? can it be done?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 12:35 PM
Daewoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd seat in the Z? can it be done?

I have been thinking about adding an additional seat in my z. I saw that another member was thinking the same thing.

What do you guys think?

The Audi TT has second row and so does the porche. It sounds reasonable that this should be do-able?

I was thinking about putting it where my storage box is currently located. The question is the cutting of the sheet metal that hoses the speakers and the storage box.
Old 07-23-2003, 05:24 PM
Ohio350z

Trade you Z in for a G35sc instead. It will be easier.
Old 07-23-2003, 06:59 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah seriously. even if you somehow did hack up the car to little bits, and managed to find room for a ghetto style seat that would leave a 2 year old wanting for leg room. when your all done your car will look like dog poo, and youll have spent way more than it would have cost for a G35 coupe.

if you cant live with 2 seats, dont get a Z. this isnt too complicated.

oh and thats a pretty major brace that youd be taking out, so the car would flex like hell. also the person would literally be sitting on the gas tank.

so no stereo, storage, all for a wanna be seat.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:02 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forget it.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:44 PM
alphared

have to say impossible. Theres not safe way to mount the seats to the body. Your fuel tank is there. so unless you passenger is mini-me, it's not even worth trying.
Old 07-24-2003, 03:42 AM
Daewoo

u guys r a little wild rn't u.

The seat would be for a mini-me. One of my kids. I was thinking about a 911 type briefcase holder seat.

i wanted a Z so I got a Z. But that doesn't mean I can't explore the possibilities. i don't want a g35. duh I would have gotten one.

I was thining of putting it behind the passanger seat. How difficult would it be to buy a small brine-ish seat and have a metal worker. intsall the tracks for the seat over tank.

Then have a roll cage installed to make up for metal taken out (speaker and storage box).

This doesn't seem like an insane idea to me. how about some helpful comments guys. give me some constructive responses please.

Thanks
Old 07-24-2003, 04:41 AM
Z350Lover

Need to say this is not an insane idea because this idea went across my mind before....

But I think it might be quite a big job to get this done though as you will need to reconstruct your own storage compartment to go around the 3rd seat. Also you will need to alter the chasis to make this work and it will definitely affect the safety and the stability of the car... that will be the first thing I concern about... You wouldn't want your kid to be in danger every time, right? And as for your idea about roll cage, it MIGHT work to re-enforce the rigidity, but it not proven anyhow that it will definitely work though... At the end, you might suffer from the greater depreciation on the car value than anyone else, or the resale value even becomes worthless (as an accident car)...

I have a mate got a 2 seater RX7 and wanted to convert it to the 2 + 2.... the importer told him that it is a HUGE job although japan does provide a 2+2 RX7, that's why he did not go ahead with the work at all...

You will need to think twice before you go ahead with it and come up with a plan... also get a quote on EVERYTHING that is needed to convert the work. This will help you to know if the IDEA = REALITY.

Just my 2 cents.

cheers,

richie
Old 07-24-2003, 05:10 AM
alphared

Originally posted by Daewoo
u guys r a little wild rn't u.

The seat would be for a mini-me. One of my kids. I was thinking about a 911 type briefcase holder seat.

i wanted a Z so I got a Z. But that doesn't mean I can't explore the possibilities. i don't want a g35. duh I would have gotten one.

I was thining of putting it behind the passanger seat. How difficult would it be to buy a small brine-ish seat and have a metal worker. intsall the tracks for the seat over tank.

Then have a roll cage installed to make up for metal taken out (speaker and storage box).

This doesn't seem like an insane idea to me. how about some helpful comments guys. give me some constructive responses please.

Thanks
Look, you're talking about structral work here. You're talking about a very expensive engineering and installation for just a small back seat. Its not as simple as putting in a roll cage and mounting a seat down. Even if you put a roll cage type support it would span across the middle about the same height as where the speakers would be (look at track cars, they have a X pattern bar behind the seat) this will totally defeat the purpose.
Now seat mounting. There is no safe way to mount a seat to the chassis since the fuel tank is there. You again have to engineer and build a structure to hold the seat and seatbelt. I said mini-me cause the amount of headroom would be from the bottom of the glove box up. That's half a full seat, not to mention the slope of the roof.
Then you have to rewire the car seeing how a bunch of cables runs thru that area.
Now all this will cost you a few thousand for the basic install and a couple of thousand more for custom fab of interior carpet, vinyl, etc.. In the end you would have the most expensive, stock Z with a backseat.

also you have to wonder if you'll get DOT approval on it.

Now with all that said, its not impossible. question is, is it sane?
I've seen RX7 with back seat. would I seat back there? NO. It look like seat in a kindergarden classroom. I highly doubt the safety of those seats.

With all these response, constructive or not they all say NO. Its like your doctor telling you that your baby is a girl and another 5 telling you the same AFTER the birth. Are you going to keep asking till someone says yes even if its not true?

Last edited by alphared; 07-24-2003 at 05:12 AM.