Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Dealer Nav Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 05:01 PM
awssumz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Dealer Nav Install

I purchased a Track model W/O GPS. The deal included having the dealer install the stock GPS. I ended up with an Audiovox CD ROM type GPS with a small display. I've had CD ROM before and they suck--DVD is the only way the go. For $2000--I got the shaft. Pushed back to the sales guy, waiting action but I think I'm stuck. Since the GPS is not factory--do I have more options of upgrading the head unit and stereo system? What is the best setup that matches the interior most closely? thanks

JD

Last edited by awssumz; 07-25-2003 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:42 PM
RANDY350Z

A few members had the same problem at first w/ their dealer hips---many of them went with the Alpine screen wich is the TME-760 and the DVD nav. Retail cost is about 2200.00 for both( 1600 + 600/700 ) for the screen @ Tweeter + about 250.00 for installation. The are where the OEM screen goes is cut and the Alpine is placed there. Looks real sweet. I would have the dealer eat the cost. If you are not fully happy takee the car back and demand the Track w/ OEM navigation. Get rid of that Audiovox -----the dealer took the cheap way out. They voided the contract anyway. Do a search on this forumn and bring pictures to your installer (if you choose) to go this route.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:06 PM
awssumz

Randy350Z, thanks for the reply. I should hear from the dealer by Thursday on what they will do. I want them to take out the Audiovox and refund me the $2000.

When you went with the Alpine GPS, did you upgrade the sound system also?
Old 07-29-2003, 06:43 PM
2003z

When you signed the papers before the gps was installed, what did the 'due paper' (the thing that says what else they will do put on or fix on the car) say. Did it say factory nav, or just nav. You can hassle them, but unless they specifically put in writing factory nav, you are at their mercy.

Many, many cars ago, I screwed up and bought a hyundai (first car I ever bought, actually). The sales brochure showed cruise control, which wasn't yet released, but they said they could put it in. It turned out to be an audiovox also, and I was pissed and out of luck.
Old 07-30-2003, 06:00 AM
tonkadog

Even if the due for says just nav, you were told by the sales guy that it would be factory nav - that is binding.

On my track, I got leather - and my wife was careful to explain that she didn't want the lazy boy leather that a lot of after market kits look like, she wanted factory leather. He said, let me double check, came back and swore up and down it would be factory like leather. We pick the car up and we had two lazy boys instead of factory leather. Even though the due slip said leather, we fought it. It took some persistance and being tough, but in the end, we got aftermarket leather that fits like factory.

Get the GM involved and ask the sales guy point blank ' you did say it was going to be factory Nav, not some cheap CD based nav' If he has any integrity (like ours did) he will admit the truth.
Old 07-30-2003, 05:50 PM
awssumz

The sales contract just says install navigation system. However, from the getgo I expected the stock Nav just like the one in the demo Track model. There was never any mention of an after market Nav, especially Audiovox.
Old 07-30-2003, 06:00 PM
awssumz

I found the Audiovox NAV5000 on the net for $1,264 complete--I paid the factory NAV price $2000! Warnock Nissan screwed me big time.
Old 08-01-2003, 04:50 AM
awssumz

Sales guy no longer there! Sales GM agree to pull NAV and refund me the $2000. However, wants me to wait until he gets back from vacation on 8/11/03 to finalize the issue. Keep wondering if he is stalling and if so, why?
Old 08-01-2003, 06:19 AM
tonkadog

Hes hoping you forget! Get him to put it in writing before he leaves. Tell him to have it waiting and you can just swing by and pick it up.
Old 08-01-2003, 10:40 AM
RANDY350Z

Sounds like they are using that 2000.00 option for the books, the salesman and manager probalby will get a bonus since you purchased the car at the end of the month. I did upgrade my sound system though. I am the type that if I do one thing audio---do it all up.
Old 08-01-2003, 05:39 PM
awssumz

I think you are right about the bonus. He is already gone on vacation so I couldn't get it in writing. I'm thinking about going to the GM but sense they general sales manager already agreed--don't know if I might be better off waiting. I'm ready to install the Alpine TME-760 (seems big for the Nav slot but folks said it will fit with some cutting) and the Alpine DVD Nav plus I'm upgrading the complete sound system. The sound shop would take out the dealers crappie unit no charge but if something got screwed up--the dealer would nail me. I'll have to wait another two weeks until the dealer pulls it out.
Old 08-01-2003, 08:03 PM
rouxeny

You got screwed. There is no way a dealer can install a factory nav system. The wiring is different between the nav and non-nav cars and it essentially has to come from the factory.

I would make sure you ditch the audiovox and go with something more reasonable, like the Alpine or Pioneer systems.
Old 08-01-2003, 10:03 PM
RANDY350Z

I wouldn't wait. They have your money. If you don't have a lot of miles on the car---return it! if you financed it check w/ your bank and see what the law is. Here in Maryland you have 72 hours to return a vehicle that is financed. What is the worse they are going to do any way??? They won't sue, that car would be sold in aweek anyway!
Old 08-02-2003, 08:04 AM
awssumz

Thanks for the replies. i've had the car since 7/22/03--so I'm way past 72 hours. I'm still thinking of calling the GM bu with the sales guy fired and the General Sales Manager on vacation until 8/11/03--I have no one that can coberate the GPS story. I'm am going with the Alpine DVD GPS unit and the TME 760 display. The 760 display seems big (which I like)--I expect they will have to do a fair amount of cutting to get it in?

Ciao,

JD
Old 08-02-2003, 08:48 AM
awssumz

Decided to contact the GM in writing--let's see what he has to say. I'v decided I will hire a lawyer if necessary--just on principle.

Ciao,

JD

PS does anyone have screen shots of the TME 760 installed?
Old 08-04-2003, 04:48 PM
awssumz

Appreciate the advice on contacting the dealer GM. I did and things happened quickly. They agreed to pull Nav (refund the $2K)--fix some paint problems and provided me with a free rental car. I've decide to go with the Alpine Nav package TME-M760 display, 7998 head unit, MB Q speakers, JL Audio Sub and JL 500/5 AMP.

Ciao,

JD
Old 08-05-2003, 08:36 AM
Sillent Killer

What do you guys think about the Pioneer Nav system w/ 6.5" touchscreen. will this touchscreen fit cubby hole or do I have to modify it. Here's the model.........NAV-SYS610T
Old 08-05-2003, 04:57 PM
awssumz

Most shops I went to pushed the Alpine GPS. However, I had a touch screen GPS in my 03 Acura CLs and loved it. A touch screen GPS is much easier to use than a remote control device. I'd suggest that you demo both and then make your decision. Most of what I have read here indicates that 6.5' monitors fit with some minor cutting.

Ciao,

JD

Last edited by awssumz; 08-05-2003 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-05-2003, 05:43 PM
cujo471

I have the alpine tmp-m760 monitor and Alpine nve-n852a navigation system. I love it. Remote is very easy to use and monitor is crystal clear.
Old 08-06-2003, 03:32 PM
awssumz

Cujo, great to hear. I'm having both installed Monday. Also went with the Alpine 9798 head unit, MP3 6 disk player, XM radio. JL Audio 500/5 AMP, 8" sub and MB Q speakers. Should be a great system. Like to do something with MP3 harddrive but Alpine doesn't have anything yet.

Ciao,

John

Quick Reply: Dealer Nav Install