Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Infinity Basslink or 8"-10" Bazooka Tube?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 02:16 PM
Gee_BooGie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infinity Basslink or 8"-10" Bazooka Tube?

What Up!

I’m looking for some opinions or recommendations.

I have a ‘07 Enthusiast and I love my Z.

I am planning on putting some money into a simple sound system.
Maybe an Alpine or Kenwood head unit, 6.5” components for the front.
I’m not sure if I am going to replace the rear speakers. I also have an older Kenwood 2 ch. & 4ch. amp. And then I want some bass.

I’ve read alot on the Infinity Basslink and installing it in the factory Bose woofer space.
And I was going to go that way. But then someone suggested a Bazooka tube, 8” or 10”
strapped or secured to the carpet in the rear hatch.
I think I wanna go with the Bazooka tube cause it might be a little cheaper,
I’ll probably get better bass and I should be able to unstrap it/unplug it if I need to pull it out for extra space.
But how secure will the bass tube be stapped to the carpet?

I haven’t really seen any threads or pictures on Bass Tubes
installs on a 350Z.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:45 PM
orgasm_donor

If you really must insist on an all-in-one then get the basslink. In a hatch it performs ok. Bazooka tubes, Bazooka amps, Bazooza speakers or Bazooka subs are all worth about as much as a swift kick to the junk. They are poor quality - always have been...always will be.

Edit: BTW, yes, I have installed it, sold it, demo'd it, I have built big systems using it and I have been let down more than a Midget with a hairlip in a speed dating circle.

Last edited by orgasm_donor; 10-17-2008 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:08 PM
hiz-n-herz

Originally Posted by orgasm_donor
If you really must insist on an all-in-one then get the basslink. In a hatch it performs ok. Bazooka tubes, Bazooka amps, Bazooza speakers or Bazooka subs are all worth about as much as a swift kick to the junk. They are poor quality - always have been...always will be.
But a bazooka is still better than the factory BLOSE stereo with it's 10-inch "subwoofer".

My daughter's 6.5" bazooka tube in the trunk of her Saturn puts out WAY more sub-bass than the BLOSE 10" in my car.

BLOSE FTL...
Old 10-18-2008, 04:12 AM
LBkr

First of all, the Bose sound is weak at best. The Bazooka Tubes I've heard don't sound great but they DO add more than the original system.

I personally installed my Basslink in the space where my Bose sub used to be and I kept ALL the other stock components (HU/primary amp/speakers). It sounds WAY better!

Yesterday I took off the Bose grill cover and, since I had lots of extra length on my wires, I placed it in the hatch area. The BEST sound is with it placed there facing forward. The 2nd best sound is with it in the cubby facing up. The boomiest sound is with the Basslink in the cubby facing down (but with 2 of the little supplied feet installed to keep the face of the sub off the floor) with a couple of inches of space beneath it.

True, I like "boom" to a degree, but face down in the cubby is all boom and you lose a lot of middle bass. If you are installing after-market HU and speakers, make sure you can get some good 'standard/middle' bass out of the setup before you add in the Basslink. Then let the Basslink handle the real bottom end.

One of your comments concerns me though. You said you might not replace the rear speakers. I could be wrong but I believe all of the Bose system system components are proprietary. You can't use an after-market amp with Bose speakers and you can't use a Bose amp and speakers with an after-market HU.

Finally, I looked all over for the Basslink and found it at a bunch of places on the web for between $175 & $220 but all those places were web-only, no phone orders, wouldn't take AMEX and charged fees for restocking and didn't have the best warranty policies. Crutchfield is a first rate place with great customer service, they take AMEX, but they want $300 for the Basslink.

In Florida we have a new electronics chain that's competing with Circuit City and Best Buy called hhgregg. BB & CC don't carry the Basslink but hhgregg had it on clearance for $149 last week!! They're reputable and took AMEX so I doubled my warranty and got AMEX buyer protection. Cool, loud & cheap!