Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

How did YOU wire your door speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 09:44 AM
ColoradoClark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How did YOU wire your door speakers?

I'm in the middle of my audio install and I REALLY don't want to spend several hours putzing around drilling/cutting out the wiring harness. I understand that's the cleanest way to do the wiring for the doors, but I really just don't have enough time to do it that way (one more weekend of 70 degree weather coming up, but in Colorado this might be the last 70 degree weekend one until March!).

Does anybody that has done the wiring a different way have some feedback or suggestions to share? What worked? What didn't work?
Old 10-28-2008, 10:22 AM
adamtaylorpcb

just use a snake and run them through the rubber grommet thing in the door... its easy as hell
Old 10-29-2008, 09:01 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adamtaylorpcb
just use a snake and run them through the rubber grommet thing in the door... its easy as hell
ummm...what car are you talking about again?
Old 10-29-2008, 09:04 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Originally Posted by ColoradoClark
I'm in the middle of my audio install and I REALLY don't want to spend several hours putzing around drilling/cutting out the wiring harness. I understand that's the cleanest way to do the wiring for the doors, but I really just don't have enough time to do it that way (one more weekend of 70 degree weather coming up, but in Colorado this might be the last 70 degree weekend one until March!).

Does anybody that has done the wiring a different way have some feedback or suggestions to share? What worked? What didn't work?

you have two options, well three...but i wouldnt do the ehtird one to the Z lol

1. run ew wires through the molex , whcih as you know, its a bit annoying.

2. utilize the stock wiring, whcih if you arent runnig more than say 40-50 watts rms, is okay, espeically if you can find it in the main harness going into the door and tap it htere to keep the dinky 18 guage stock wire as short as possible.

3. drill two holes, one in the door, one int he body, put in rubber grommits and loom or other kind of protective hose, and do it that way.. IMO this is a last resort when faced with an impossible molex and the need to run big wires into the door.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:15 PM
orgasm_donor

There is already a rubber 'plug' on the car side of the doorway. You can run them through there, make your own loomed wire run into the base of the stock grommet on the door side. I have yet to do this but I think its about my only option to get 12 ga through the door efficiently. I ran 12 ga through the molex-less grommet in my friend's G37. Lucky bastard!

I will post pics once I do this.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:42 PM
ColoradoClark

A couple of thoughts regarding wiring door speakers in the Z...

The rubber plug is a dead end -- it doesn't go all the way through to the interior.

The molex is a new form of slow, deliberate torture. Seriously -- it is that bad. Guantanamo Bay has NOTHIN on the molex.

Note to self: don't try to run 10 guage speaker wire through a molex. Suicide is less painful -- and quicker. I finally ended up drill a hole through the area behind the kick panel. That part was easy. Up until that part? Let's just say it was extremely frustrating and not very productive. I think I know the real reason why Bing and Nazar prefer kicks...and it has a lot to do with molex.

Sean
Old 11-01-2008, 01:39 PM
MDK

Are you guys actually threading the wire through the individual holes on the molex connector? I actually drilled a 3/8"-ish hole in the unused end of the molex and ran the entire KnuKonceptz 12ga speaker wire through it, with shielding and all. There's not much stress on the wire this way, and I get a clean unbroken wire all the way to the crossover. I don't think its very likely that anything will wear through all of the shielding on a KK wire either.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:54 PM
ADMAN

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by adamtaylorpcb
Old 11-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Crom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The grommet routing is like threading a needle w/ your arms extended....
Old 11-11-2008, 03:21 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

i used a wire hanger
Old 11-13-2008, 10:40 AM
burner

Might as well do it right...just pop out the plug that the wiring goes to into the door and drill a hold with a dremel. Use a hangar to route the wiring through the stock grommets.