Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Audio/video newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 07:53 AM
drw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio/video newbie questions

Has anyone added a DVD player to their 350Z? I've seen some people with Xbox or playstation but I want to put one in the mailbox slot behind the drivers seat and use a remote eye in the dash for control. I've ordered the stock Nav faceplate but am am having trouble finding a slot type DVD player that would fit well.
Would any standard din size DVD player do the trick? If anyone has added one then could you let me know the model?

Also, I am adding the Sony WX 7700MDX head unit And Sony XT_XM1 satellite radio components (will be controlled by the MDX). Does anyone know if this receiver could play sound from both the XM receiver and a DVD player? I know the receiver has an auxiliary input but I'm thinking I might need two (one for each source). Do most modern aftermarket headunits have just one auxiliary input or do some have more? Any help would be appreciated. I think the DVD needs the auxiliary but the XM uses something called unilink to connect to the HU but I not sure what that means.
Thanks.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:37 PM
jeffa

Sony's Unilink is their bus system that allows the main unit to control devices like a CD changer and the XM receiver. I believe that the audio from the XM tuner is in this bus. The aux input on the Sony unit would be used for the audio from the DVD player.

As to a DIN sized unit, Clarion makes one, model number VS735. It will fit directly into the cubbyhole mount for the 350Z. It plays CD's CD-R/RW's MP3 and DVD video.
Old 08-16-2003, 08:32 AM
drw

Thanks very much for the info. I checked out the Clarion. I like the in dash DVD players like the Carion but the problem is they are meant to be mounted somewhere in the dash. Since I want to mount it behind me in one of those little CD storage dins I need a DVD player with a remote eye that can be mounted in the dash so that I dont have to point the remote at the unit behind me to control it. Most of the well known brands seem to only make these in dash type DVDs so I guess I'll have to go with a cheapie
brand like PYLE. They have portable DVDs with the remote eye so they can be mounted anywhere. Problem is it may be hard to find a quality player.
Old 08-17-2003, 09:53 PM
jeffa

The VS735 has a plug on the rear for a remote infrared eye, and Clarion sells one for about $25.00, so you can still mount the main unit in the rear area and mount the IR eye in the front dash area...