Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

I don't know what happened?? HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 03:59 PM
VENOMSZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh and to top it off, they would not let me have the "bad" ECU back. Changing their story of not needing the core. WTF!??

So I was hoping to have an answer to all this to share so others could learn from my mistakes... but looks like that is still as unclear as it ever was..

but thanks guys for all your input on this.. to bad it turned out the way it did.

Sounds like a screw job.
I can't see why they would not give you the ecu back,
unless it was not even replaced...
Old 11-12-2008, 04:08 PM
KPierson
Banned

Is the vehicle still under warranty? If it is they MUST PROVE that the sound deadening caused the ECU to fail. If they can't do that they must cover it under warranty.

Also, ask them how much the core charge on an ECU is - I've never heard of one. I've also never seen a place to buy used/refurbished ECUs through Nissan. It sounds like they are definately screwing you over. I, too, would go over their head. But, once you pay the repair bill and take possesion of the car it will be a little harder to get them to give you any money back.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:37 PM
2006.350ZR

Originally Posted by KPierson
Is the vehicle still under warranty? If it is they MUST PROVE that the sound deadening caused the ECU to fail. If they can't do that they must cover it under warranty.

Also, ask them how much the core charge on an ECU is - I've never heard of one. I've also never seen a place to buy used/refurbished ECUs through Nissan. It sounds like they are definately screwing you over. I, too, would go over their head. But, once you pay the repair bill and take possesion of the car it will be a little harder to get them to give you any money back.

Sad to say I put it on the CC and drove it home.. I didnt want it sitting outside at the dealership. I know the odds are stacked against me but Im still going to try for some sort of rebate. It's a 2006 so it is under warranty. ( I just rolled over 14000 miles.. she dont get out much.. lol) I dont know if it will work but I WILL let corporate know about my experience in detail. and I will follow up with info on the core... I soooooooo should have marked my original ECU before dropping it...

oh well.. things could be worse, so ill stop my b!tching.

Last edited by 2006.350ZR; 11-12-2008 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:36 PM
KPierson
Banned

Here is what I would do:

First thing in the morning call the service manager.

Tell the service manager you need written documentation that details every aspect of your repair - include the exact reason why you were denied warranty. They HAVE to give you a reason, they can't deny your warranty simply because you added sound deadening.

Don't offer any more information then you absolutely have to, unless he asks why. If he does tell him either A. you want your lawyer to review it or B. you want your Corporate Nissan Customer Service Rep to review everything to make sure you didn't get taken advantage of.

You do have one advantage - your credit card. If the service mananger says he won't give you written documentation or won't detail why you were denied warranty dispute the transaction. You may or may not win the dispute, but it at least gives you some leverage. From my personal experiance CC companies tend to side with the consumers more often then the business. Either way, it will delay payment to the dealership and bring them negative publicity - that might motivate them to warranty the work!
Old 11-12-2008, 06:07 PM
2006.350ZR

Thanks for the tips Kevin. I will do exactly that.

I managed to keep my cool + a smile on my face through this whole ordeal with all the people at the dealership... which has not been easy.

Ill go there in person first thing in the morning.

I put the bill on my AMEX card.. trust me.. they WILL stop payment if I call them.

wish me luck.....
Old 11-13-2008, 06:40 AM
2006.350ZR

Well I just got back from the dealership. I spoke with the GM, not the service manager. I was told that because I had admitted to unplugging things, warranty would not be honored, which was outlined in writing on NISSAN leterhead. I was also given the original ECU.

and.... I will still follow up with corporate.

If nothing else the car has more pep with the virgin ECU installed..
Old 11-13-2008, 07:15 AM
KPierson
Banned

You would think that if "unplugging" things would fry ECUs they wouldn't put plugs in the car.

That should be pretty easy to get Nissan to warranty.

There is no way they could prove that simply unplugging the ECU and then plugging it back in would damage it.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:24 AM
burner

Dude, I think the dealer took you for a spin. I had this EXACT problem happen to me few months ago when I installed a reverse camera. Here is how it went:

After installing camera, the car wouldn't start but everything else worked (I could get the car going if I push started it, but all my dash lights stayed on)

I checked all of the fuses I knew of, as well as put everything back to stock, and nothing

I had the car towed to the dealer

They called me and said my ECU was fried, and it was going to be $970 to fix it. Because I love my Z so dearly, I told them to go ahead and fix it.

They called me the next day and said it was ready. I went to the dealer to pick her up and after I paid, I saw the mechanic walk to my car across the lot to pull it up for me. He jumped in, and then popped the hood about 10 seconds later. I walked over and noticed he popped a bunch of panels off near the battery, He stuck a voltmeter in the ECU and had me jump in and and try to start the car. Nothing but dash lights. He told me the NEW ECU WAS FRIED. I was pretty pissed at this point so I went off on the shop manager. I was visiting my dad about 300 miles away from home and I needed to get back to work, so I reluctantly push started my Z and drove it all the way home, and made an appointment at the Nissan dealer at home for them to look at it because the mechanic told me the new ECU should be under warranty. The next morning I was furious, and I got curious as to what the hell the mechanic was doing under the hood. Popped the hood and popped off all of the plastics near the battery. There is a fuse box right there next to the battery with a black cover over it. I popped the cover off to reveal some fuses that I didn't know existed. I checked the very first fuse and discovered it was blown. I put a new fuse in, and low and behold the car started right up! WTF? I called the dealer and demanded they give up my old ECU to which they replied "it has been thrown away".

To make a long story short, after threatening to report them to the BBB and attorney general, and writing a letter to the owner of the dealership they refunded my money after three weeks. Check the first fuse. Its a red, 10 amp on the top left. Even if it doesn't look blown, replace it anyways and give it a try!

Last edited by burner; 11-13-2008 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:19 AM
j.arnaldo
Banned

...don't you just HATE computers, cybernetics, informatics, technocracy, nanorobots, gigabytes...You-name-it, if it's technology, it's troublesome & antipathetic!!!