Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

nav trouble

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 09:26 AM
sifuhall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nav trouble

I really like the nav unit, but after a week I have had a few minor problems. Has anyone else experienced this.

1.) I have my home address stored in the address book and once when selecting it as my destination it told me to make a legal u-turn if available. The trouble is I was headed the correct way and less than 2 miles from home. The route had me going in completely the opposite way!

2.) Again with home as my destination the nav units reports I have arrived at my destination and the trip is complete, however I am still about a mile from my home.

Has anyone else experienced these?

Is there anything I can do about them?
Old 08-18-2003, 12:33 PM
chromesilverz

Most programs will calculate a route for you.

You may not be traveling on the same route as the program calculates for you....

Some programs will not allow for detours...so even though you are traveling on the ideal route...the program thinks you are going the wrong direction and tells you to make a U-turn.
Old 08-18-2003, 01:06 PM
Buub

I would expect this would be most likely to happen if, as noted above, it didn't know exactly where you were at the time. This would be if you were in an area that the map didn't have detailed road descriptions for. Occasionally I have been in an area where there is no road on the map. It doesn't know how to route me from there because it doesn't know where I am. Thankfully, that's a very rare occurance in this area.
Old 08-18-2003, 02:00 PM
sparky3Z

Don't know if this applies in your case, with the stock navigation, but the Alpine navigation system instructions say you may get errors when you first begin using the system. It takes some time for the system to learn your true location from the satellites and set the defaults into its memory.
Old 08-19-2003, 12:43 PM
Beaker02

Default Re: nav trouble

Originally posted by sifuhall
I really like the nav unit, but after a week I have had a few minor problems. Has anyone else experienced this.

1.) I have my home address stored in the address book and once when selecting it as my destination it told me to make a legal u-turn if available. The trouble is I was headed the correct way and less than 2 miles from home. The route had me going in completely the opposite way!

2.) Again with home as my destination the nav units reports I have arrived at my destination and the trip is complete, however I am still about a mile from my home.

Has anyone else experienced these?

Is there anything I can do about them?
Yes. It is normal. Remember, it's just a glorified map. Beats the snot out of MapQuest though!