Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

should V1 pay my speeding ticket

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 04:20 PM
Duke407

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look guys. I'm not trying to sound like some kind of "alter-boy" or anything--hell, me being a 33 year old male who also owns a great CS 350Z, I too like to drive fast. Even though the chances of me receiving a speeding ticket may be very slim, I am not, by any means, immune from the same laws everyone else is. Just be careful out there. Us "cops" have a pretty unappreciative job. Let's face it, cuz nobody usually wants anything to do with the police until they actually really need us for something. Bottom line----------live by the rules and die by the rules.
Old 08-31-2003, 04:24 PM
Dream2Reality

Well, I only have gotten one ticket in my life for running a yellow/red light (yellow if you ask me, red if you ask the officer ). I'm from jersey too. What worked out best for me was going and asking to speak to the prosecutor. I pleade guilty, and paid a slightly larger fine than I was supposed to, but no points.

One big thing to remember that people often overlook; WEAR A SUIT. The people there want to know that you respect them. The judge actually knocked 50 bucks off of my 150 dollar ticket because I was "dressed for the court". Now, I'm sure this is rare, but the point still stands that you MUST look like an upstanding citizen.

You're lucky as hell. If you can't lose the points, just go to a defensive driving course. The one I took lowered my insurance because I had no points, but could have eliminated 2 points off of my license. If you get stuck with the points, try to get to the course before your policy expires, so that when you renew you can honestly say you have no points.

BTW, good info Duke. It's good to hear the honest truth from an officer. I really admire cops for the work they do. BTW, can you please officially eliminate this myth my gf keeps telling me about that cops can't tell how fast you're going if you're on a bend? This just sounds ridiculous to me, and she won't believe me when I tell her they can.
Old 08-31-2003, 06:58 PM
Michael_Torpey

when you sent the ticket in...did you request a deposition?

Always plead Not Guilty and request a "Supporting Depostion"

If the reporting officer does not send you a Depostition...that is grounds for dismisal of your case.

They'll probably reduce it to a broken speedometer or seatbelt ticket...oh and BTW what you saw on your ticket is exactly what everyone else sees....judge, clerk, prosecuter....the copies that they recieve are EXACT CARBON Copies of YOUR TICKET. If the PO is diligent, he may have recorded in his Personal Notes that the initial infraction was reduced at the scene.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:15 PM
jj1814

Default Re: should V1 pay my speeding ticket

Originally posted by havabooz

im getting some x band warnings on my advanced logic mode (L)

and im ignoring them cause they are going away

then i get one that keeps getting louder...but since ppl say that cops never use X band and since V1 says that X band is usually bogeys i just ignore it

that 'getting louder' (and probably stronger) was your clue. In Advanced Logic, you will notice that on MOST x-band bogeys will beep once or twice and that's it. Usually by the time I look up, there is nothing showing on the V1.

V1 doesnt know what the cops in YOUR state use to detect speed. you have to be alert to recognize when there is an actual threat.

****..i gotta cut this short. gotta run.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:15 PM
silverz

Default Havabooz

I have written this reply before, but here goes again. I have done this 3 times and it has worked EVERY time. After you receive the speeding ticket all you have to do is send in the fine amount and court costs PLUS $5. The court system will then deposit the amount that they are entitled to and mail you a check back for $5. After you get the check THROW IT AWAY. See, the court system can't close your file until you deposit or cash the $5 check. If you throw the check in the garbage the file will never be closed and you won't assessed any points on your license OR insurance. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-01-2003, 01:20 PM
Michael_Torpey

Mark,

Does that really work? Has it only worked on SC or have you tried it in other sates?

P.S. how do you set your options in the forum so that you have you car specs trailing your post?
Old 09-01-2003, 03:27 PM
jj1814

Originally posted by Michael_Torpey
Mark,

P.S. how do you set your options in the forum so that you have you car specs trailing your post?
That is his signature
Old 09-01-2003, 05:51 PM
havabooz

i actually have heard teh myth about adding 5 bux to the payment and then throwing out the check they send you but i cant imagine that working

i think im gonn go the straight way..dress up nice and look like an innocent kid and hopefully only pay a fine..worse comes to worse ill take a defensive driving course
Old 09-02-2003, 01:46 PM
Duke407

Originally posted by Dream2Reality
Well, I only have gotten one ticket in my life for running a yellow/red light (yellow if you ask me, red if you ask the officer ). I'm from jersey too. What worked out best for me was going and asking to speak to the prosecutor. I pleade guilty, and paid a slightly larger fine than I was supposed to, but no points.

One big thing to remember that people often overlook; WEAR A SUIT. The people there want to know that you respect them. The judge actually knocked 50 bucks off of my 150 dollar ticket because I was "dressed for the court". Now, I'm sure this is rare, but the point still stands that you MUST look like an upstanding citizen.

You're lucky as hell. If you can't lose the points, just go to a defensive driving course. The one I took lowered my insurance because I had no points, but could have eliminated 2 points off of my license. If you get stuck with the points, try to get to the course before your policy expires, so that when you renew you can honestly say you have no points.

BTW, good info Duke. It's good to hear the honest truth from an officer. I really admire cops for the work they do. BTW, can you please officially eliminate this myth my gf keeps telling me about that cops can't tell how fast you're going if you're on a bend? This just sounds ridiculous to me, and she won't believe me when I tell her they can.
Around a bend? They (we) sure can. As long as the instrument used can obtain a "tracking" of a vehicle, then it can be obtained. So, tell your girlfriend that it is, indeed, just that..............a myth.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:49 PM
Duke407

Default Re: Havabooz

Originally posted by silverz
I have written this reply before, but here goes again. I have done this 3 times and it has worked EVERY time. After you receive the speeding ticket all you have to do is send in the fine amount and court costs PLUS $5. The court system will then deposit the amount that they are entitled to and mail you a check back for $5. After you get the check THROW IT AWAY. See, the court system can't close your file until you deposit or cash the $5 check. If you throw the check in the garbage the file will never be closed and you won't assessed any points on your license OR insurance. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!
Obviously, some people have never heard of a thing called a "warrant" I guess.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:05 PM
silverstoned

Hmmm....by a warrant do you mean the warrant used to search peoples houses? Cause...I mean...its reallly not that hard to destroy a paper check.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:15 PM
Duke407

Originally posted by silverstoned
Hmmm....by a warrant do you mean the warrant used to search peoples houses? Cause...I mean...its reallly not that hard to destroy a paper check.
There are all kinds of warrants. But, I'm talking about the one that is usually issued by a judge against someone who either has not appeared in court on a traffic summons or who has not paid his/ her fine. Either way, when that warrant is issued, not only do you usually find out about it when you are stopped by a cop, but now will not only go to jail, but will also have their license suspended.............................all because they tried to pull a fast one. I HAVE seen this done thousands of times.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:10 AM
mdelia

A warrant for what? The fine was paid obviously, because the refund was sent back. So what would they arrest you for, not cashing a check for money that belongs to you?

please...
Old 09-04-2003, 02:22 PM
Duke407

Originally posted by mdelia
A warrant for what? The fine was paid obviously, because the refund was sent back. So what would they arrest you for, not cashing a check for money that belongs to you?

please...
Easy man. My bad. I just misunderstood the crazyness that some people will go through just to try and beat a damn speeding ticket. Anyways (silverz), what makes you think that the case would not be closed if the court had to refund the $5 dollars extra sent to pay for the ticket? They (court) got their money. They could care less if you threw away $5 dollars that was not even belonging to them anyways. So, please............................back to ya. It's a "speeding" ticket--not a Murder charge for crying out loud.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:38 PM
Danimsta

ok since ur givin advice

heres my dilemma

how do i know when they are adding points to my license?
i went to court and the judge told me "blah blah blah this is goin on ur record, i feel sorry for whoever pays ur insurance"
does that mean im gettin points?

i jus recently got a ticket for 40 in a 30... it REALLY pissed me off since i was following traffic and everything...
the cop was in the bushs with a radar gun
anyway, what can i do to fight this?
its my first ticket in this county, but not in state, does that matter?

if i jus pay the ticket, will it go on my record and how many points?
jus confused about this stuff

thanks alot
Old 09-04-2003, 03:43 PM
WolfMan

I got my speeding ticket over a month ago, does it usually take this long to get the letter in the mail? I had a parking ticket once and got the letter like the next week. hmmm. Wouldn't it be nice of the cop said.. ehhh I liked that guy *rips the ticket up*

Lol in my dreams.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:45 PM
Duke407

Originally posted by WolfMan
I got my speeding ticket over a month ago, does it usually take this long to get the letter in the mail? I had a parking ticket once and got the letter like the next week. hmmm. Wouldn't it be nice of the cop said.. ehhh I liked that guy *rips the ticket up*

Lol in my dreams.
Sorry man, but I really am not familiar on how the cops out there in CA work their traffic system, in regards to them supposed to be mailing you something. Are you talking about a "traffic summons"? I would just play it safe and contact the issuing agency who gave you the ticket and merely ask them if they had sent out anything. The reason I say for you to do this is because if the error IS on the state who issued you the ticket and their records reflect that the letter was mailed to you and subsequently, you have not showed up or paid the ticket, it will just turn out to be a MAJOR inconvenience for you should you get stopped again. What I am talking about is you being informed that there is a "failure to appear" warrant for you. I can tell you that if this DID happen, it will all be fine come court time, but why deal with the inconvenience of it all. Hope this helps.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:57 PM
Duke407

Originally posted by Danimsta
ok since ur givin advice

heres my dilemma

how do i know when they are adding points to my license?
i went to court and the judge told me "blah blah blah this is goin on ur record, i feel sorry for whoever pays ur insurance"
does that mean im gettin points?

i jus recently got a ticket for 40 in a 30... it REALLY pissed me off since i was following traffic and everything...
the cop was in the bushs with a radar gun
anyway, what can i do to fight this?
its my first ticket in this county, but not in state, does that matter?

if i jus pay the ticket, will it go on my record and how many points?
jus confused about this stuff

thanks alot
To find out if any points were added to your record and/ or just to find out what your record shows, it will require you to normally send $5 dollars to your local DMV and request a certified copy of your driving record. Once again, not being all that familiar with laws outside of the state of Georgia, if I were to take an educated guess, I'd say that only "1" point would be added to your license if you were cited for 40MPH in a 30MPH zone. Usually the way it works is that everyone starts off with "0" points on their record. "Points" can only be added onto a driving record if a person is cited for an actual "moving" violation. Normally, 1-10 MPH over equals 1 point. 11-20MPH equals 2 points and 21-30MPH equals 3 points. Anything in excess of 30MPH is 4 points and is usually the maximum that can be assessed on a single citation. As far as your question in regards to the difference of getting a ticket in a county vs. a state agency, it doesn't really matter. For example, a ticket in Nashville will have the same penalty if issued a ticket by some other county, city or trooper in the state of Tennessee. I hope this makes sense. As far as wanting to fight a ticket, you really need to know EXACTLY what you are talking about or else it usually does no good. There are ways to fight and beat a ticket, but like I have posted in this forum earlier, there are several things that must be taken into consideration and most of all again, KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. Cops will have all their "ducks in a row" 99% of the time, so.................... Take care.
Old 09-04-2003, 07:17 PM
Danimsta

cause the cop told me they dont have traffic court... so theres no much i can do but jus pay it ehh?
that sux...
Old 09-05-2003, 02:36 PM
Duke407

Originally posted by Danimsta
cause the cop told me they dont have traffic court... so theres no much i can do but jus pay it ehh?
that sux...
WOW! That's a first. I've never heard of there being "no such thing as a traffic court"? Reason being is because even a speeding ticket is technically a "criminal charge" and is a misdemeanor, so I can't understand why you were told there is no such thing as a traffic court, nor any way for you to even contest the ticket. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm???????????????

Quick Reply: should V1 pay my speeding ticket