Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Alpine IVA-W205 or Pioneer Avic-F900BT

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 01:51 PM
dank311

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpine IVA-W205 or Pioneer Avic-F900BT

Looking to get a nice CD/DVD player for the Z...mainly concerned with sound quality, DVD playback quality, and Zune/Ipod/Iphone sync and interface quality. The three I was looking into are the

Alpine IVA-W205 - found for $500 shipped

Pionner Avic F900BT - found for $550 shipped

Pioneer AVH-P4000dvd - found for $360 shipped

The avic F900 offers more than the other two of course for the price. Its the only one that has navigation; for $50 more than the alpine. But, I dont really need the navigation as I dont travel much in the Z and I usually know where Im going, and if I need directions, I can use my iphone if needed. The Alpine also offers navigation, but with an addition $300+ mobile navi unit to stick in the slot behind the screen. While the avid F900 offers the navigation already included for $50 more its a hell of a deal, but I really like the look and the bigger screen of the Alpine...and like originally posted, Im mainly looking for quality CD/MP3/DVD playback.

Now the AVH-P4000 unit is a very nice unit, a bit bigger screen than the avic F900, basically same options lacking the navi, which I wouldnt use much anyways, but this unit really lack in the screen quality, and GUI. The interface of this unit looks plain, old, and a bit outdated. So, that being said, I think I will opt for either the alpine W205, or the pioneer avic F900.

Which would do you think would best fit my purposes as originally stated, the alpine IVA-W205 or the Pioneer Avic-F900BT?
Old 01-02-2009, 02:29 PM
Get_Zwole

i dont know much about the 500 dollar pioneer unit but ive always liked pioneer double dins better then alpines. and alpine single din's better then pioneers
Old 01-02-2009, 07:19 PM
VENOMSZ

Iva 205 is old news...gor for the newer, better, IVA W505
It is flawless, alpine, and plays video straight from your ipod.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:53 PM
orgasm_donor

None of the above!

Kenwood and JVC are the only double dins to consider these days IMO. And yes, I am even a Pioneer dealer!
Old 01-03-2009, 09:03 AM
dank311

kenwood and Jvc??? I know its been a good 6-7 years since Ive looked at car audio equipment, but kenwood and JVC were kinda crap brand back then. Maybe they have gotten better now, b/c I do see them a bit more frequently now. But what makes them better than the 3 headunits Im already looking at?

The kenwood DDX 712 and excelon DDX812 both look decent, but whats the differences between the two? What advantages does either one of these have over the alpine or pioneer units?

Same with the JVX AVX810...seems decently priced but how is the quality and features compared to the alpine and pioneer, or even the kenwoods listed above?

Basically I dont want to spend over $550 total. Im doind the install myself so no additional expense there.

Whats the best quality multimedia head unit I can get for $550 and under that will have the best CD/MP3/DVD playback and SQ?
Old 01-03-2009, 09:40 AM
VENOMSZ

Originally Posted by orgasm_donor
None of the above!

Kenwood and JVC are the only double dins to consider these days IMO. And yes, I am even a Pioneer dealer!
PLEASE...
Old 01-03-2009, 11:52 AM
orgasm_donor

Having owned an Alpine W-205, a Pioneer AVIC-Z2, a Pioneer AVIC-F90BT, and I have also installed everything else in between (like the New Alpine W-505 which is a lot better than the 205 but still lacks features per dollar, the Eclipse AVN series units which are ok and also all the other Pioneers and Alpines), but none of them meet my needs as good like the new JVC's and Kewoods do. Also, their value is very good too.

I used to hate JVC and Kenwood. I have a choice to put in anything I want into my show car but I chose the JVC KW-NX7000 because its just a sweet unit. The higher end Kenwoods are also pretty nice. The new Pioneers are laggy, the screens are way too small, there are too many bugs despite the latest updates and they are...well....crap. Thanks Pioneer.

Alpine is just too expensive (as usual) and you need to buy the Nav unit separately - tres gay. Eclipse user interface is lacking and the units are too expensive for what you get. God I could go on and on....but I won't.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:03 PM
VENOMSZ

I guess JVC stepped their products up?
I recall all their radios were crap a few years back.
I have always went with Alpine over all others because of
their reliability, and innovative tech. All my friends that ever bought JVC
ended up having to get new units. Kenwood was really good up until about
97, and then they went south. Anyone I know that has bought Alpine, has never had any trouble, or complaints...100% good. Maybe I need to see what JVC, and Kenwood are doing nowadays?
I'd still go Alpine over all others though.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:02 PM
dank311

Originally Posted by orgasm_donor
Having owned an Alpine W-205, a Pioneer AVIC-Z2, a Pioneer AVIC-F90BT, and I have also installed everything else in between (like the New Alpine W-505 which is a lot better than the 205 but still lacks features per dollar, the Eclipse AVN series units which are ok and also all the other Pioneers and Alpines), but none of them meet my needs as good like the new JVC's and Kewoods do. Also, their value is very good too.

I used to hate JVC and Kenwood. I have a choice to put in anything I want into my show car but I chose the JVC KW-NX7000 because its just a sweet unit. The higher end Kenwoods are also pretty nice. The new Pioneers are laggy, the screens are way too small, there are too many bugs despite the latest updates and they are...well....crap. Thanks Pioneer.

Alpine is just too expensive (as usual) and you need to buy the Nav unit separately - tres gay. Eclipse user interface is lacking and the units are too expensive for what you get. God I could go on and on....but I won't.
Unfortunately, I have only had the chance to see the 2 Pioneer units in person. Im actually leaving now to see if I can play around with some of the kenwoods and JVC's in person.

I agree that pioneer is a bit laggy, has too small of a screen, and I have also read about the apparent bugs with their systems. But, I dont thing that they are crap. There screen is small, but I have to say it is very good quality picture. If the AVH-4000 had a better interface, I'd probably just opt for that b/c of its simplicity.

I dont think alpine is too terribly expensive, its more expensive than kenwood and JVC, but IMO I think you are getting a better quality product. But then again, Im not huge into this industry, but from the little feedback I have heard, and personal feedback from friends, alpine has always been reliable, and I guess this is why they can charge a little more for their units b/c of the name and reputation they have built. I also agree with you that it is pretty gay that you have to buy the other unit for the navigation, but im not interested in having navigation anyways. Im mainly just interesed in the quality of the unit and SQ of CD/MP3/DVD playback and a nice GUI like originally stated.
With just this in mind, what unit would you think would fit me best? (trying to stay in the sub $550 range)

As far as features, what feature do JVC and/or Kenwood units have that place them above the pioneer or alpine units?

Which has best sound and/picture quality?

Also, what is the differences between the alpine W205 and W505's?

Last edited by dank311; 01-03-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:54 PM
Get_Zwole

had an avic z2 for 2 years and loved it. sold it to my best friend now he loves it. Save a couple hundred and grab one.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:09 PM
orgasm_donor

Originally Posted by Get_Zwole
had an avic z2 for 2 years and loved it. sold it to my best friend now he loves it. Save a couple hundred and grab one.
I have a Z2 in my Lexus and I really do like it! The proble is the dated technology and the biggest thing: only a 2 volt pre-output. This is one of the most important things to me as I really like to get a clean signal to my amps so they can run as efficiently as possible. Also, they don't come with anything! No Bluetooth, no SD card slot, no direct Ipod control etc...great unit...just a little bit dated.

I used to be a major Alpine fanatic up until the end of the CDA-9835 which I believe to be their last great SQ deck for the average consumer. Since then I beleive that Alpine has lost some focus in their back to basics high quality decks with all the features built right into it. Also, Alpine has a tendency to completely change their user interface from year to year which is bloody annoying! Pioneer, JVC and Kenwood stay the course and make their decks similar to use throughout the entire product line. Pioneer's single din decks have just been chuggin' right along (like with the PRS-880 and the newer PRS-800 - Both fantastic SQ decks for reasonable pricing). JVC's newer stuff (namely the higher end Arsenal and double din decks) is very reliable and most provide a nice 4 volt pre-out and great EQ features. You have to pay quite a bit to get Alpine to give you 4 volt pre-out and their Imprint EQ software. CHA-CHING!

Anyways, I am rambling on here. To dank311, I think you should look at the JVC KW-AVX710 (MSRP is $549) or Kenwood's DDX-712 ($599 on Egay). These DVD screens are awesome because they are both 7" (Kenwood is 6.95") and will do very nicely as a great head unit. Pay the extra to get a lot more out of your screen - you won't regret it!
Old 01-03-2009, 06:17 PM
haeshik

i just ordered my pioneer avic-f700bt so i would tell you to get the avic-f900bt