Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

is an amp necessary when doing a HU upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 08:18 AM
mdelia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is an amp necessary when doing a HU upgrade?

Hey all,

After spending some time in my other car then coming back to the Z, I realized just how much the stock stereo in the Z is in need of improvement. I'm thinking of going out this weekend and picking up a new HU for the Z, but I really don't know a great deal about car audio.

I'm planning on replacing the front 6.5 with some Infinity 6002i's which I've heard before and were impressed with the overall quality of the sound for the price of the speaker.

I'm also thinking of replacing the head unit in the car. I've already done some work with doing a custom Delphi WiFi install, so I'm fairly familiar with the center console of the car, but like I said before I really don't know alot about car audio. (The WiFi install was pretty much a plug and play setup anyway.)

What are some things to look out for when doing an upgrade? I'm not looking for a system that is going to win audio contest, but just a noticable increase in quality of sound over the stock setup.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-29-2003, 10:23 AM
SteveZzz

I'm looking for the same thing and I'm wondering which will provide more bang for the buck......... New head unit and the stock speakers or new speakers and the stock HU.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:44 PM
Horizon1

I would suggest an alpine 9815 which is a pretty powerful and versatile deck. plays mp3s/cdr/cdrw etc...and it acutally has quite a powerful internal amp which requires a direct connection to the battery..it pumps out 27watts RMS which is plenty for stock speakers and decent components if you decide to swap out. Honestly, after taking my car apart and looking at my stock speakers..no wonder they sucked like they do...they're so CHEAP looking and cheaply made. (non-bose)

it is a pricier deck at $360, but a definite good buy.

Mike