Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Those with the Sony WX7700-MDX HU

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 07:43 PM
yoonakron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

drw, thanks for the follow-up on the install! Sounds like a winner! Check your PM.
Old 09-10-2003, 02:09 AM
stopgo

Amen. I've grown tired of waiting for Nissan and/or Bose to fix the problem they've imposed on us. This is the unit that I'll use to begin fixing that problem myself.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:55 PM
seanrulz

I'm also interested on this HU. Is the Nissan double-din absolute neccesity? Is there other similar alternative? Is Japanparts.com the only place that I can get Nissan double-din frame? If there are alternatives, where can I get them?
Sorry, I'm completely newbie to the car audio system so I need to get informed
Thanx!

Regards,
Sean
Old 09-11-2003, 08:20 AM
drw

No, the frame is not a neccessity. You can simply have your installer do a custom job. Japanparts is where I got mine. Don't know where else you can get it.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:46 PM
stopgo

Just placed my order for this HU. Is there a wiring harness available that'll allow me to do the install myself, or will this require a pro?
Old 09-12-2003, 10:13 AM
drw

I used a pro but I supplied him with a 97+ wiring harness from autotoys.com
Old 09-12-2003, 11:54 AM
Dissident

what double-din frame? huh? I couldn't find it.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:44 PM
jor8888

I just got the HU today from www.silviaparts.com , as I am taking things apart I notice there is a frame what came with this HU looks like I can just use it without getting a installation kit.
Old 09-12-2003, 03:14 PM
seanrulz

I just got the HU today from www.silviaparts.com , as I am taking things apart I notice there is a frame what came with this HU looks like I can just use it without getting a installation kit.
Hmm... the frame comes with the HU set? That's more like it... At least I can install the audio without waiting for the frame...
I also just placed an order of this HU at silviaparts.com.
Seems like they are having a great sales since a lot of people are jumping on this stuff...

I also requested a quote at japanparts.com with parts numbers for Double-din frame but haven't got any reponse for 3 days now Well, anyway, can't wait till I get the stuff!
Old 09-12-2003, 04:25 PM
jor8888

I have not put it on yet but it looks like the frame that came with the HU is too small. But good thing about this unit is u dont need FM converter if u get it from Silviaparts.com
Old 09-17-2003, 03:38 PM
z33TwinTurbo

Hey who has installed this head unit by themselves or are planning to? Would someone post a DIY or show how it is done. Also what is the wiring harness drw is talkin about. I am a noob at this car audio thing but i am planning to purchase and install this head unit myself. Will i need an amp and sub as well? Please reply fellow Z members
Old 09-17-2003, 03:47 PM
Dissident

Is it me or do you all wonder if sony is planning on selling this thing here? Why else the frequency switch on it (and everything in english?). I want htis thing badly, but the thought of paying $660 and having no warranty at all....
Old 09-17-2003, 03:54 PM
jor8888

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....hlight=speaker

http://www.audiowarehouseexpress.com...402/detail.asp

http://www.autosoundgear.com/tek9.as...cific=jppocpn0

Order a harness for 95 nissan and up or just get one from bestbuy which is what I did but u still need to order the installation kit from the net so might as well order both. Just remove the old stereo and plug in the harness then match up the wire color with the new Sony stereo. U dont need amp unless u want sub. I changed all my 4 speakers and added 2 8" sub with 800amp.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:14 PM
seanrulz

I have some questions about the last 2 links of 3 you provided.
On the third link, it is described as double din- frame for 350Z. Would this fit the Sony WX-7700 MDX perfectly? Because from the picture, I don't see it would fit that well. And it is divided into half, looks like it's separate 2 1 din slot to me I'm a newbie so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, on the second link, it is described as Metra installation kit for Nissan 350Z. Is this also a double-din frame or wiring harness? Since it doesn't have the picture, I'm not sure of the definition of "Installation Kit" so enlighten me.
I ordered a Nissan factory double-din frame for 350Z from www.japanaparts.com but they say it is backordered until 26th!! So I'm looking for the other options quicker right now.

Final question. If I have the local audio shop custom make the frame, how much would it cost? Is it a tough job? I'm trying to search the all options now...

Thanx in advance!!

Regards,
Sean
Old 09-17-2003, 04:25 PM
jor8888

I just order the from the 3rd link myself so I have no clue how well they will fit the sony. U can always cut out the middle plastic yourself, all I care about is the outter and inner dimension.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:27 PM
seanrulz

Oh.... I see. When you get the frame and done installation, could you please post your impressions about them and how well they fit? If you could also post pictures, it'll be great!
Old 09-17-2003, 05:36 PM
stopgo

I just got this HU yesterday from silviaparts.com along with a double-DIN frame and harness from Crutchfield. Much excitement.

Pulled apart the dash, made my connections and...

...nothing!!...

No power to the unit.

Ugh.

I'm praying that it's something as simple as a faulty harness or my own incompetence. Got another harness on order. If it turns out to be a bad HU, I suspect that getting it sorted out will be something of a PITA (anyone know of a Sony service center in the US that'll handle this item if it turns out to be defective?).

However, my first impressions are that this HU at least looks great in the car. Hell, it's downright slick! The dash kit/frame doesn't look flashy (but then, neither does the Z's interior overall), but it's more than acceptable and fills in the gaps quite nicely.

Of course, with a hurricane about to roll through the area a defective HU might be the least of my worries.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:12 PM
seanrulz

stopgo, so did you use the double-din frame that came with the Sony HU as stock? How did it fit? Did it fit perfectly? I also ordered from Silviaparts.com and waiting to receive it. Too bad about your situation tho... I hope mine won't have the same problem if HU is defective...
Also, you might wanna let silviaparts.com know that you have a problem with the HU. So you can work it out. (I think you already did or going to do it. But just letting ya know )
Old 09-17-2003, 07:01 PM
stopgo

Howdy Sean. I don't think the HU comes with a frame. Er... at least mine didn't. It does come with a thin piece of plastic to fill the gaps between an aftermarket frame and the HU. But don't sweat it if you don't have a frame just yet. The HU mounts with the factory hardware. You'll just have some space between it and the dash until you can get hold of a frame.

Honestly, man... if this HU were sold in the US, it would kill! You can't really see it from the pics floating around the web, but the displays look like they've got the same kind of coating you see on camera and telescope optics. It blends perfectly with the Z's display and gauges. My girlfriend even issued a heartfelt 'wow!'... something she usually reserves only for shoe sales.

I contacted silviaparts, and they seem 'reluctant' to issue an exchange. They recommended I contact the post office as it was shipped insured. I've also contacted Sony and (surprisingly) they're trying to find a service center in the US that'll handle this item.

Funnily enough... no sound system seems preferable to the Blose system. I just entertain myself by listening to the exhaust!
Old 09-17-2003, 07:24 PM
jor8888

Did u get the right harness? the wire colors should match up with the sony exactly the same. Check the fuse too behind the HU?

Quick Reply: Those with the Sony WX7700-MDX HU