Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Those with the Sony WX7700-MDX HU

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 07:36 PM
stopgo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure I got the right harness... 'cause all the wire colors matched up. And I peeked at the fuse on the HU and those in the car's fuse box and they all look to be intact.

The only suspicious thing is that the HU arrived with some very minor damage to the left display. It's not something that would normally worry me, but I gotta wonder if the package was mishandled during shipping. So the big question is which will be easier: getting the HU serviced in the US, or filing a successful insurance claim with the post office? = )
Old 09-17-2003, 07:45 PM
seanrulz

Hmm... things are getting more complicated to you... hopefully you can get them worked out in a good way...
Anyway, one more question. Then it seems like you got the frame separately, where did you get it? any website? I know it seems like I'm obsessed with all those frames but I just want to make sure exactly what options I got for the frames. Also, if I install the HU without frame, and by the time I got the frame, is it easy to put the frame on? or do I have to remove the whole dash to start it over? Just curious.
Old 09-18-2003, 04:38 AM
stopgo

That's the kicker. If you go frameless to start, you're gonna haffta pull the dash again when you do get a frame (thanks Nissan! Could've put about 15 more minutes of thought into designing that part of the car... would've saved some wear and tear on my knuckles!)

...but I digress.

I got the frame kit from Crutchfield. Hold on while I get a part #....

... here it is: 120997402 Nissan 350Z Kit 2003-up. Works a treat and it's a very complete kit. It includes spacers, ISO brackets and a single-DIN frame. None of which you'll need. You get plenty of plastic for your $19.99. =)
Old 09-24-2003, 08:18 PM
Zzzow!

Does anyone know if this HU has RCA jacks? I'd like to install an Ipod without using an FM Mod. Thanks.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:03 PM
seanrulz

I didn't see it closely, but I remember that I read there is RCA jack port in the headunit. It was written in the instruction manual.
Old 09-25-2003, 08:09 AM
MrGraphics

It only has 2 sets of fading RCA's. The optimal setup for a headunit with RCA's is 2 sets of fading RCA's for front/rear, plus one set of non-fading RCA's for the sub.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:07 AM
Zzzow!

Originally posted by MrGraphics
It only has 2 sets of fading RCA's. The optimal setup for a headunit with RCA's is 2 sets of fading RCA's for front/rear, plus one set of non-fading RCA's for the sub.
Thanks for answering, I have to admit that I am a noob to car stereo, I don't know what fading RCA is, can you explain to me? Thanks.

Holden
Old 09-25-2003, 12:29 PM
MrGraphics

Simple -

RCA's are line level outputs - like on the back of your home stereo or DVD player. The unit does not amp this signal. It is a pure "line level" sound.

Fading means just that - it reacts to the fade control (pan left/right - fade to front/back) of your head unit.

Non fading means it does not react to the fade controls on the head unit.

Base is non-directional sound. Which means that it does not come from a position in space - it develops over distance. It just creates a foundation. This is why you don't want fading RCA outputs for bass. (also, a 30 Hz bass note takes 18 feet from start of sound sine wave to end to complete one cycle, or note. This is why you want the sub as far away from you as possible, and why the stock sub location stinks.)

So in regards to this Sony head unit, lets say you are using the front RCA's for the front speaker's amp, but using the rear RCA's to power both the sub and the rear speaker's amps. This would be less than optimal, because if you found that the rears were too loud, and used your fade control on your head unit to have more sound up front and less in the back, then the sub would also get quieter.

Whereas if the sub was on its own non-fading RCA, you could fade your front and rears all you want without affecting the sub response.
Old 09-25-2003, 08:54 PM
Zzzow!

Originally posted by MrGraphics
Simple -

RCA's are line level outputs - like on the back of your home stereo or DVD player. The unit does not amp this signal. It is a pure "line level" sound.

Fading means just that - it reacts to the fade control (pan left/right - fade to front/back) of your head unit.

Non fading means it does not react to the fade controls on the head unit.

Base is non-directional sound. Which means that it does not come from a position in space - it develops over distance. It just creates a foundation. This is why you don't want fading RCA outputs for bass. (also, a 30 Hz bass note takes 18 feet from start of sound sine wave to end to complete one cycle, or note. This is why you want the sub as far away from you as possible, and why the stock sub location stinks.)

So in regards to this Sony head unit, lets say you are using the front RCA's for the front speaker's amp, but using the rear RCA's to power both the sub and the rear speaker's amps. This would be less than optimal, because if you found that the rears were too loud, and used your fade control on your head unit to have more sound up front and less in the back, then the sub would also get quieter.

Whereas if the sub was on its own non-fading RCA, you could fade your front and rears all you want without affecting the sub response.
So basically these RCAs are for speaker connections and not Line Ins for other devices. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-25-2003, 09:06 PM
drw

The Sony has a separate sub input so fade is not an issue.
Old 09-25-2003, 09:10 PM
drw

To clarify , I mean it has separate faders for the front, rear and subwoofer.

It also allows you to set the crossovers for each. (Has high and low pass filters)
Old 09-26-2003, 08:33 AM
MrGraphics

You mean sub Output . . .

I just read the Sony Japan site and it specifically says 2 sets of RCA's. I love it when the company's "official" specs don't match what is shipped.

The same thing goes for the Eclipse 3413. Their website says 2 sets of RCA - yet the one I have in my hand has 3 sets (2 for front/rear + one for sub.)
Old 09-27-2003, 08:12 PM
jor8888

Put in the Best Kit double din kit. Doesnt fit very well at all but I can live with it.
Attached Thumbnails Those with the Sony WX7700-MDX HU-img_0202.jpg  
Old 10-03-2003, 03:44 PM
jor8888

For the person who wants to know what the box looks like that works with US frequency.
Attached Thumbnails Those with the Sony WX7700-MDX HU-img_0205.jpg  
Old 10-04-2003, 09:48 AM
Zzzow!

Thanks jor8888!