Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Those with the Sony WX7700-MDX HU

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 10:03 PM
Moodie
Minivan Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Those with the Sony WX7700-MDX HU

I am seriosuly thinking of getting this unit, but what is the difference in the converter frequency (12 - 18 MHz)? Does it matter which frequency I order for my Touring Z?

http://www.melting-pot.com/website/p...WX7700MDX.html

Thanks!!
Old 08-29-2003, 11:56 PM
alphared

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Those with the Sony WX7700-MDX HU

Originally posted by Moodie
I am seriosuly thinking of getting this unit, but what is the difference in the converter frequency (12 - 18 MHz)? Does it matter which frequency I order for my Touring Z?

http://www.melting-pot.com/website/p...WX7700MDX.html

Thanks!!
Its a Japanese HU, their FM frequencies are different than US. so some station won't be where it suppose to be, and some you won't get.
Old 08-30-2003, 06:51 AM
FastEddie73

I love that way that unit looks... I wish they'd just come out with a U.S. version.
Old 08-30-2003, 07:46 AM
drw

Check with silviaparts.com. I bought mine there and although I haven't installed it yet I was told it was a Korean version that would pick up US frequencies. Its also compatible with Sony XM
Components. I'll give more details after my install next tuesday.
It also comes with an English user and installation manual. Price is $660.
Old 08-31-2003, 05:06 PM
Moodie
Minivan Racer

Default Thanks, DRW!

Originally posted by drw
Check with silviaparts.com. I bought mine there and although I haven't installed it yet I was told it was a Korean version that would pick up US frequencies. Its also compatible with Sony XM
Components. I'll give more details after my install next tuesday.
It also comes with an English user and installation manual. Price is $660.
Please keep me posted!!
Old 08-31-2003, 11:54 PM
yoonakron

Default Hey drw

Hey drw,
How long did it take for the HU to arrive from SilviaParts.Com? And although it's the "Korean" version, do you know if your unit is still manufactured in Japan?

Thanks!
Old 09-01-2003, 05:34 AM
drw

I ordered Aug 11 and it was shipped on the 13. I believe it was manufactured in Japan for the Korean market. (says made in Japan on the box) Instructions are in English as well as Japanese. The Manual says FM tuning interval:
50 kHz/200kHz switchable 87.5-108.0 MHz (at 50 kHz step) 87.5-107.9MHz (at 200kHz step). Maybe you can tell from this info if it
will pick up American stations. Silvia parts says it will but I'm not too concerned about that since I am adding XM. However, when I get it installed I'll post for all of you who want to know. You can also order a double din trim piece from Nissan at Japan parts for a more stock looking installation. If you do a search on here you will see pictures of a Sony installed with the trim piece . Looks really good.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:15 AM
Dissident

Are the buttons in English, too? And does the display switch, or what language is it in?
Old 09-01-2003, 11:54 AM
yoonakron

Default Hey drw

Hey again drw,
I checked on autotoys.com for the wiring harness. Can I just use the 95+ Nissan REGULAR harness if I'm doing a complete overhaul of the sound system (ie new HU, speakers, amps, etc.)? I ask because I also saw a 95+ Nissan AMPLIFIED harness.
One other ques: I didn't see the Nissan double DIN from on japanparts.com's site. Did you just email them and reference the part code and part number?

Thanks again
Old 09-01-2003, 06:40 PM
drw

Yes I just emailed them referencing the part. <For 350Z>
*68105-CD000 Audio Finisher[1]: price is 1,150JPY

Its not on their site. Email them with a request.

As far as the wiring harness I got the impression that the amplified one would be used possibly with the Bose which already has an external amplifier. Since I have the base system I ordered the regular one which I believe said was for use with an aftermarket HU with no factory amp. I am using an external amp but it didn't come with the factory HU so I think I'm OK. Things get more complicated if you have the Bose. Guess you may have to decide what to do with the Bose amp. Sorry I couldn't be more help but I haven't installed yet so I can only speculate. I'll let you know after the install if I got the right one.
Old 09-01-2003, 06:42 PM
drw

Buttons and display are in English.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:42 AM
MrGraphics

Great - a second place to buy JDM head units in the States. How about everyone chime in with their links? We've got:

www.melting-pot.com
www.SilviaParts.Com

Anywhere else?
Old 09-02-2003, 08:58 PM
yoonakron

http://www.pricejapan.com./

They take the lowest price in Japan and add 5% + tax + shipping. However, it's up to you to use the search engines they provide to locate the best price. Usually, http://www.kakaku.com/ will have the lowest price.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:48 AM
MrGraphics

Oh YEAH! I had found www.rakuten.co.jp, and they did have the best prices. Thank you do much for the pricejapan link.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:43 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

If only this thing played mp3's... I'd be sold. But $600-700 and no mp3 playback doesnt do it for me.
Old 09-04-2003, 12:51 PM
350boom

Originally posted by zxsaint
If only this thing played mp3's... I'd be sold. But $600-700 and no mp3 playback doesnt do it for me.
Buy a Sony cd changer and you've got your MP3 compatibility.
Old 09-04-2003, 07:07 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

True, but that'll bring the total to over $800. You can get all those features and more for less than half the price. Wish Sony would bring this thing over to the US already. I don't get why japan gets all the jazzy headunits.
Old 09-06-2003, 08:50 PM
yoonakron

Default Hey drw

Hey drw,
How goes (or went) the install on the HU? Your opinions on the sound quality? And does the FM really work on your version? That will be the deciding factor of whether I get it through SilviaParts.com or not. PriceJapan.com quoted me $601.

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2003, 06:00 PM
drw

I'll let you know in a few days. I ran into a snag where the display cord that came with the older model cd rom Alpine NAV
I bought wasn't compatible with the new Alpine screens. I finally lucked out and found the correct monitor cable. I really thought I was screwed. This delayed the install until tomorrow. Should have more info for you by mid week.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:21 PM
drw

Ok, I've finally got it installed and played with it some and all i can say is OH MY GOD!! THIS IS THE COOLEST HU I'VE EVER SEEN!!
It sounds like night and day compared to the factory HU, particularly with XM. My ears really had to re-adjust to the additional clarity and volume.

XM radio rocks big time. Incredible quality and selection of music. I highly recommend it especially since this HU is XM compatible. I
won't even have to bother with CDs anymore. Now to answer your questions:

If you buy the one from silviaparts.com as I did, it picks up all the
US stations without the use of an FM modulator. The stations are also displayed on the correct frequency. It has tons of cool features including an EQ, digital soundstage organizer, POS, sub input, and high and low pass filters. I'm no audiophile but it sure sounds great to me. I had previously upgraded my speakers and added an amp and a sub but my system really came alive with the addition of the Sony.

I know people say you can get better quality for less money but if you ask me all the single din non-japanese HUs look like crap in this car. The Sony was made for the 350Z. The display looks incredible at night but in the day it is not quite as easy to see as the other gauges in the car. If you buy this HU and add the Sony XT-XM1 components you'll never want to get out of your car.

Quick Reply: Those with the Sony WX7700-MDX HU