Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Sub, Amp, Speakers..

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 04:39 PM
KManZ
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dingobiatch
To clarify: Run the ground wire from the child restraint latch bolt to the amp, correct? I only ask because I read on a site that it is far better to run the ground from the negative terminal on the battery to the amp.
In a perfect world, yes, the negative terminal would be best, but you have to keep the ground wire under 36", so unless you mount the battery in the hatch or the amp under the dash, you won't reach the battery. Trust me, everyone I know grounds to a bolt on the chassis, and their systems sound great BTW, when the time comes, where are you thinking about mounting the amp?

Last edited by KManZ; 01-26-2009 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:57 PM
dingobiatch

(The child restraint bolt is at the front edge of the trunk area correct? I've been looking through Nissan manuals..)

If I can figure out what amp to get (suggestions? I can't place my order until I do!!) I think I'll be placing it under the driver's side seat. That is assuming taking out the seat isn't difficult. If it is, maybe the cubby behind the drivers seat?

And what gauge amp kit do I want? 4?

Last edited by dingobiatch; 01-26-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:21 PM
KManZ
Banned

(The child restraint bolt is at the front edge of the trunk area correct? I've been looking through Nissan manuals..)

If I can figure out what amp to get (suggestions? I can't place my order until I do!!) I think I'll be placing it under the driver's side seat. That is assuming taking out the seat isn't difficult. If it is, maybe the cubby behind the drivers seat?

And what gauge amp kit do I want? 4?
-4 Gauge will be great for what you are intending to run, and give you room to expand in the future.

-You are correct about the child restraint bolt location; theres a little cut out in the trunk carpet right behind the passenger's seat through which you can see it.

-As for amp location, I was considering putting it under the seat, but that is not a flat surface. Sure, you can make it work, but what about when you want to make some quick adjustments? Behind the passenger seat is a great place, except you lose a bit of storage. I had mine there for a while actually. Since then, I migrated my amps to behind the driver's seat, which required building an amp rack. Either location is a perfect place to mount, just depends on if you want to keep your "glove box" or not.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:59 PM
dingobiatch

I guess I don't care about my glove box. For both if I put the amp behind the passenger seat or behind the drivers seat, do I need to worry when I bolt it down in there? Will I hit the gas tank or something?

And I'm only going to have the one amp, so do I need an amp rack if I go with those areas?
Old 01-26-2009, 07:02 PM
KManZ
Banned

I guess I don't care about my glove box. For both if I put the amp behind the passenger seat or behind the drivers seat, do I need to worry when I bolt it down in there? Will I hit the gas tank or something?

And I'm only going to have the one amp, so do I need an amp rack if I go with those areas?
If you mount the amp in the glove box, just screw it to the carpeted plastic insert that serves as the bottom of the compartment. I just removed the small plastic tray underneath, and ran my wires right under there.

If you go behind the driver's seat, don't screw it to the floor! You need to make an amp rack, which is an adventure in and of itself. There is a thread going on right now that outlines how to do it for cheap. I think mine cost me $10 to make, and it serves it's purpose well.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:50 PM
dingobiatch

Is that because I'd be screwing into something important? And then does that mean an amp rack screws into the sides?
Old 01-27-2009, 05:21 AM
KManZ
Banned

Is that because I'd be screwing into something important? And then does that mean an amp rack screws into the sides?
Yes, you run the risk of hitting something underneath the metal. Besides, there are plenty of stock holes back there that all allow you mount an amp rack. Here is a current thread which talks about building an amp rack: https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-v...epartment.html. Also, do a title search for "amp rack" and you will find a wealth of information and pictures to help you out. Once you get in there and start working, it's fairly simple.

Overall, expect to spend some quality time in your car. If you take care and do things right, a system can take days to complete.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:26 PM
dingobiatch

Originally Posted by KManZ
Everything else: http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm Crutchfield is grossly overpriced. Woofersetc is another great store. Ask to speak with Julien, he is actually a 350Z owner
Everything on that site is priced too high as well..
Old 01-27-2009, 01:48 PM
adamtaylorpcb

then hit up ebay!
Old 01-27-2009, 05:33 PM
WV350z

If I was you I run a Boston G2 woofer that is roughley 250 rms with a Boston GT20 amplifier.

I would do the Boston G2 woofer and the new Boston 175 300 watt 2 ohm

Amp rougly $219...sub roughly $150 depends where you get it.

I would do a nice set of Boston SX60 componets there nice and can use your aftermarket stereo and dont HAVE to have a amp but makes a world of a difference.

the Alpine 100 cd player isnt all that special I've installed a few and there...so so...who just wants Multimedia..and AM-FM radio..no cd...to me its a waste but whatever you want...you cant go wrong with the budget and sound quality of a Boston Acoustics product!

the G3 woofer is pictures since I just switched up last week with a new woofer,with .80 cft of air space it was able to do a 136.8 witha 250watt amp!

Last edited by WV350z; 01-27-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:52 PM
quakerroatmeal

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

136 on what mic?
Old 01-27-2009, 06:35 PM
WV350z

Termlab
Old 01-28-2009, 04:14 PM
KManZ
Banned

Here is a simple diagram to help you install your system. Yes, I was bored at work, so I take out my frustrations doing system diagrams in Visio.
Attached Thumbnails Sub, Amp, Speakers..-350z-sound-system.jpg