Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Which is better Car Portal or Vehicle Hub?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 11:26 AM
RANDY350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which is better Car Portal or Vehicle Hub?

I just took delivery of my 370z w/ Nav. I want to upgrade to a Kenwood or Alpine integration and want to know any feed back.

I like the Kenwood for : Graphics looks cool.
alot of good reviews.
cons: No DVD changer
No 5.1 processor

Alpine: DVD changer
5.1 processor
cons: graphics suck!

And also can the Factory system still be used? Any comments would be appreciated!
Old 02-27-2009, 12:53 PM
JEKL

I can only speak for the Kenwood because I have that set up. Anther pro for it is its navigation is not CD/DVD based so it operates a little smoother. You asked if you can use the factory unit with the Kenwood. I am not sure if you mean the OEM H/U or nav screen so I will answer both. Yes you can keep the H/U but I am almost positive you can not use your existing screen.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:53 AM
RANDY350Z

I am trying to see if I will be able to switch and use the full factory Nav, HDD, cd, and ipod and switch over to use the Alpine or Kenwood.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:02 AM
RANDY350Z

Also Yes if you can use the factory nav screen? They have an interface for them.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:27 PM
JEKL

The OEM Nav uses a touch screen? I wasn't aware of that. I just thought you could get an interface to use the OEM screen to view but not navigate with.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:49 PM
RANDY350Z

Not sure about to navigate , So you can view the Kenwood system using the Nav screen right? I also want to know if I can still acess the Nissan audio system too? Is there a swich or something?
Old 03-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I’m not sure I understand your question. I guessing from your message (thread start) you have the factory navigation (Clarion Xanavi navigation system) and OEM Bose upgrade. And, you are asking if you can add better components but still have access to the factory stuff?

If that is the question, the answer is yes you can. (Otherwise, disregard the rest of this message.)

One way to do this adding a Kenwood KOS-V1000 (or KOS-V500) Controller.

Kenwood KOS-V1000 Controller

This essentially turns your OEM double-din H/U into a Kenwood H/U. Since you also have the factory navigation (and it would be foolish to waste this expensive component), you also need the Kenwood KOS-CV100 Adapter.

Kenwood KOS-CV100 Adapter

The KOS-CV100 Adapter converts the proprietary video output from a Kenwood KOS-V1000 (or KOS-V500) Controller to a composite video output connector. This allows you to connect your Kenwood Controller to the Z’s navigation LCD.

Additional points:
  • This setup does not support touch-screen function (as you would have with a KOS Controller and a KOS L702 LCD Touch Screen Monitor). Instead you operate this configuration using the Kenwood IR handheld remote control. Since you already have navigation and the expensive OEM LCD monitor, it would be a shame to waste this. The only justification for replacement would be an insistence for touch-screen function.
  • You still have the cheap OEM Bose speakers (front components and SubW). Although the Kenwood KOS Controller has a great radio, the sound from this device is compromised by the cheap OEM Bose “upgrade.”
My opinion is that buying a Z with the cheap Clarion system sans navigation is best since it is easily replaced.

--Spike