Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Help me pick some Components

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Peak350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me pick some Components

Before I get the search button thrown, I have, for about 5 hours now, and I'm just as confused as when I started.

So, as I quickly became aware a $150-200 budget might not be sufficient to get a nice sounding speaker set. However I have a number of things that will act as limitations, so before I ask if the speakers I am leaning towards are a good choice, I'll justify why I'm not looking towards some of the better options.

1. I intend to buy an amp eventually (3 months) - but not initially, so 150w+ RMS speakers are probably not a good option for me.

2. They will go in the factory locations, behind the door panel with no trimming of the grill, and in the sail.

3. I have a Mmats P3.0 10" sub with a "poor" Kenwood amp. SQ is good enough for the range its going to be representing, but I definitely need more mid and high - even at low levels the sub is dominating the system.

4. I have a budget, the more I spend on speakers, amp, speaker wire, and flushing materials (if needed for the tweeters), the less I can spend on sound deadening, which will be done with the amp install.

5. Last limitation I'll list - the F700BT isn't the greatest SQ unit and only has 2V preouts.

That said, I am looking at 3 options in the $180-220 price range. They all have silk dome tweeters, have good specs, and get decent reviews.

Image Dynamics CTX65CS $180
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=6201

Rainbow SLX 265 Deluxe $200
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=7033

Diamond Audio D661s $200
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=2715

CDT Audio EF-61FG $200
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=3341

My preferences initially were the Image Dynamic or Diamond Audio sets. From reviews either should work.

Any comments or suggestions otherwise. Given the choices I'd probably grab the ID's and try to find a sponsor who sells them.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:54 PM
BlueBoxer

Rainbow have always produced wonderful speakers, unfortunately it is hard to find a shop that u can demo them at. I will say that most people find the Rainbows pleasing to the ear and they seem to be less polarizing as Focals, Dynaudio, and others. I think a lot of folks her rocked the Diamond Audios, you can probably get a lot of first hand input on those.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:37 PM
whitemikecn

Just a reccomendation.... I would wait to do it all until you budget is more flexible... I have been "building for the last year" and it is all still sitting in my room. Buy it to where you will not have the urge to upgrade later. It will save you more in the long run.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:37 PM
Peak350

Originally Posted by whitemikecn
Just a reccomendation.... I would wait to do it all until you budget is more flexible... I have been "building for the last year" and it is all still sitting in my room. Buy it to where you will not have the urge to upgrade later. It will save you more in the long run.
My budget is flexible, I just don't want to spend money I don't have to. Right now I have the factory speakers and they are just garbage. I mean, 16 ohm clarion's, what can you really expect.

Even a cheap set of Sony Xplod's from walmart would be an upgrade.

I'm not a big enough audiophile to justify upgrading from anything I've posted if I've already made the investment, and I think I would feel silly spending the extra money if these would suit my needs just fine.

Originally Posted by BlueBoxer
Rainbow have always produced wonderful speakers, unfortunately it is hard to find a shop that u can demo them at. I will say that most people find the Rainbows pleasing to the ear and they seem to be less polarizing as Focals, Dynaudio, and others. I think a lot of folks her rocked the Diamond Audios, you can probably get a lot of first hand input on those.
Yeah, the more I looked at reviews the more I saw people liking the DA's and not saying much on the ID's. I'm thinking that for my purpose both would work but the safe bet is to go with the D661s Diamonds, the Rainbows are nice as well, it'll be the end of the week before I pull the trigger either way so I've got time to find some more reviews on this stuff, but I think any off them will be an upgrade I won't be unhappy with.

Last edited by Peak350; 03-01-2009 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:56 PM
whitemikecn

Also I would not run your new speakers without an amp as I have heard that underpowering them can do damage tot he speakers.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:22 PM
quakerroatmeal

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you aren't getting the amp for them right now, don't even bother. Just turn down the gain a lot on the amp for the sub so it would balance out for now..
Old 03-01-2009, 09:48 PM
Peak350

I think I'm going to order these:
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=4630

And match them with this:
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...products_id=46

I need very little wiring (that I don't own already), so for ~$320 I can have a decent mid/high setup.

And as far as under powering the speakers causing failure. Its giving them nasty signal to try to make volume. If you give clean power they won't blow, so if you avoid HIGH levels on the volume **** they won't blow.

Anyone see any issues with those choices?
Old 03-01-2009, 10:14 PM
ninor

Or you can get used Rainbow SLC Kicks 6.5s from https://my350z.com/forum/audio-video...-dls-subs.html. I bought most of his system and it came in excellent condition