Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Finally made a purchase - install checklist

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 05:54 PM
NewOrleans350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally made a purchase - install checklist

Ok, I finally made a purchase on a DD unit.

I have the tools I need and can do the install myself. Have the wiring harness and dash kit. Just want to make sure I dont miss anything while I have the dash apart. Let me know if there is anything else I should do while I am at it.

- head unit, obviously

- ipod adapter

- holes to run ipod cable through the cupholder or the upper cuby

- parking brake bypass

- where is a good spot to secure the nav antenna?

Last edited by NewOrleans350z; 03-04-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:09 PM
snobird
snobird

you need wiring harness and dash kit as well, i always put nav antennas on the inside of the glass behind the rearview mirror(antenna outside look ugly lol)
Old 03-04-2009, 06:44 PM
ninor

You might want to route your iPod cable in the upper cubby just like I ran a charger cable for hard wiring my Garmin Nuvi 760. I found out that you have to unscrew the shift **** if you want to take the center console out so you can drill a hole in it for the ipod cable (unless you cut a hole with a very sharp knife while the console is in the car).

Be sure you have a buddy helping you and have patience while disconnecting the three gauge harness.. it's pain in the *** to disconnect it. Also, check out the thread of the guy installing Kenwood unit in DIY section... that helped me a lot.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:57 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Items to purchase:
-Head Unit
-Ipod component A/V cable
-Dash Kit (Metra, American Intl, Scosche - do your research on which is best)
-Wiring Harness (to connect the HUs harness to the Z's without cutting and splicing the factory harness - which is NOT RECOMMENDED)
-Soldering iron or butt/crimp connectors (soldering is preferred, but not necessary).
-Any add on accessories (such as satellite radio, HD radio, etc)

Installation considerations:
-Brake bypass (usually just grounding the brake wire)
-Speed sensor connection (do you research - the wire is spliced from the Universal meter, the white box just under the factory radio as seen when you remove the shifter trim)
-Reverse wire connection (do your research - the wire is spliced from a harness located near the fuse panel in the drivers side footwell kick panel)
-Speed bypass (do your research - will differ depending on the unit you purchase)
-GPS antenna location (do your research - use the little "bridge" just in front of the 3 gauge cluster right near the windsheild)
-Microphone placement (do your research - most common options are on the rear view mirror, on the visor, on the top of the drivers side pillar, on the ledge behind the steering wheel in front of the analog speedometer )
-Wiring diagram so you understand what to wire to what and where

Stuff we don't know:
-Are you going to eventually upgrade speakers and go with standalone amps? If so, you might consider pre-running RCA cables to save yourself re-work in the future. Also, run an extra wire for remote amp turn on.

Hope this helps...