Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Pioneer Speakers and AMPS for a Z?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 02:14 PM
Lug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pioneer Speakers and AMPS for a Z?

I'm looking for some opinions on the following components listed below. Basically i'm looking to upgrade entire system over time, but for now I'm only going to upgrade the speakers and amp.

I took my 350z to a local Car Audio shop and told them what kind of music (rock,metal,-midbass stuff) and budget I have and they spoke highly of Pioneer speakers - specifically the PIONEER TS-D702P for the front stage and PIONEER TS-D602P for the rear stage. Both are pretty cheap as far as cost goes, but the audio installers raved about the sound being just as good as other high-end models and brands.

I've added the highend Pioneer TS-C720PRS speakers to the list for the hell of it. I was told these would be pointless unless I sound proof the car, but who knows I might do that someday! :P

Anyhow, anyone have any thoughts on pioneer's stuff?

Front:
$100.00 PIONEER TS-D702P
or
$125.00 Pioneer TS-D720C
or
$260.00 Pioneer TS-C720PRS

Rear:

$105.00 PIONEER TS-D602P
or
$125.00 Pioneer TS-D720C
or
$260.00 Pioneer TS-C720PRS

AMP:
$150.00 PIONEER GM-6400F 4-CHANNEL
or
$250.00 PREMIER PRS-D4100F
Old 03-12-2009, 02:38 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the D720C's and they're awesome! Mids are warm once broken in and tweets are pretty damn clear for a kick mount. I wouldn't put them in the sails though since they're pretty strong tweeters. Ran them through a Premier F90BT powered by an ARC XXK. They seem to like about 50-70 watts RMS.

Do a search on caraudio.com and tons of people will say the same. I don't think there is another set in that range that is quite as good. I would have sprung for the top PRS model, but going into a noisy sportscar without door pods, it was kind of overkill to me.

Don't worry about the rears, just cut them out completely, but if you must, the cheaper one is more than enough. I've never tried the Pioneer amps but I'm now powered through a beater Alpine MRP300 (due to it's light weight) and it still sounds good.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:30 PM
Lug

You sold me on the d720c's.

Warm mid's and clear highs is all i want out of my sound system. It's so disappointing that the bose system is so bad and down-right harsh on my ears.

Once I have enough time to install a head unit, i'm going to get the Premier F90BT also. but for now i'll just have to make time to install the speakers once they get here. I justed order a pair off ebay after reading your reply!

Where did you mount the tweeters in relation to the speakers in the doors? Did it involve any cutting of the door panel?

Thanks for the fast reply 35oZephyR.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:54 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lug
You sold me on the d720c's.

Warm mid's and clear highs is all i want out of my sound system. It's so disappointing that the bose system is so bad and down-right harsh on my ears.

Once I have enough time to install a head unit, i'm going to get the Premier F90BT also. but for now i'll just have to make time to install the speakers once they get here. I justed order a pair off ebay after reading your reply!

Where did you mount the tweeters in relation to the speakers in the doors? Did it involve any cutting of the door panel?

Thanks for the fast reply 35oZephyR.
No problem Lug, anything I can do to help.

I mounted the speaker in the door using the supplied plastic spacer on top of a 1/2 inch MDF spacer (sealed with fatmat). You could get away with just a 1 inch MDF spacer if you can find longer bolts to mount to the doors.

I 3m positioned the tweeters to a few places and here are my results:

-Sail panel (aka stock location): Damn, harsh! I could lose my hearing within a month leaving them there. I'm not in highschool anymore.

-A- pillar: sound pretty good, but the angle had to be just perfect.

-Kick panels: sounded good too, but needed some fine tuning with the headunit. (gotta get the EQ a little higher)

Didn't want to go through the trouble of running wires up the dash and A-pillar and having the tweets in my field of vision. Ended up drilling 1 & 3/4 inch holes into the little plastic kick panels on each side. It literally took like 10 minutes each side to mount because the rear of the tweaters come with a metal bracket that screws on and holds them in place. They were mounted on the kick panel closest to the main woofer, but angled so they are still firing across to one another from side to side.

Oh and I did the speaker grill mod for the doors just to make sure nothing was obstructing the sound coming out of the new speakers. It basically involves cutting the stock plastic speaker grill and adding speaker cloth. You really don't have to do this, but i figured why not? The less obstruction the better.

Last edited by 35oZephyR; 03-12-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^ Very good write-up describing your solution. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

--Spike
Old 03-12-2009, 05:46 PM
Lug

Originally Posted by Spike100
^^ Very good write-up describing your solution. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

--Spike
Yes, thank you for taking the time to share your setup, i'm defitinitely going to use it.

I found the speaker grill mod thread in the Audio DIY forum. Looks like a fun little DIY project!

Once the speakers get here and I buy an AMP, im sure ill have many more questions for you!

Thanks again for all the help and info.