Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

W7 issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 05:24 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ktnupe8
Yeah my bike crew rides up through there around Memorial Day weekend. I have a Hayabusa so her big butt has no business on those curves. Little 600s would give me the business up there. If I ever downsize and get a 750 or 1000 I'll make it happen.
you getting owned by 600's isn't a fault of your busa.. its a fault of your riding ability... getting a 750 or 1000 isn't going to make much difference.. you're still going to get your a$s handed to you

Originally Posted by harvin350z
I dont think so, 500/1 is considered a perfect match for the 10jlw7.
i would say buy a better sub
Old 03-18-2009, 07:30 AM
ktnupe8

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by doug
you getting owned by 600's isn't a fault of your busa.. its a fault of your riding ability... getting a 750 or 1000 isn't going to make much difference.. you're still going to get your a$s handed to you
I sense a hater that hasn't even been on a bike and is talking out the side of his neck You obviously don't know chite about motorcycles cause if you did, you wouldn't have made such an erroneous statement. If you wish to continue this please PM me about it, but trust it won't be private

^ GTFO and stop ruining this man's thread

Last edited by ktnupe8; 03-18-2009 at 07:34 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:17 AM
08SilverZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ever been to the Dragon? Rarely see many Busa's come through there. That is for good reason. If the Busa was so good on curves, then why would people be coming from all over the country/world to ride the Dragon on a 600/750 instead of a Busa? It has nothing to do with riding ability. Ask anyone who's a regular @ the Dragon about the difference between speed of a Busa or a GSXR-600/750/1000, or any other bike 1000cc or smaller, on the dragon.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:48 AM
doug

Originally Posted by ktnupe8
I sense a hater that hasn't even been on a bike and is talking out the side of his neck You obviously don't know chite about motorcycles cause if you did, you wouldn't have made such an erroneous statement. If you wish to continue this please PM me about it, but trust it won't be private
you obviously havn't been on this website very long if you're going to make a silly statement like that..

again.. your riding skill is in question .. sorry.. its just the reality of it my friend.. come to the motorcycle forum and have a conversation with me if you feel the need.. thats if you even noticed we had a motorcycle forum
Old 03-18-2009, 08:50 AM
doug

Originally Posted by 08SilverZ
Ever been to the Dragon? Rarely see many Busa's come through there. That is for good reason. If the Busa was so good on curves, then why would people be coming from all over the country/world to ride the Dragon on a 600/750 instead of a Busa? It has nothing to do with riding ability. Ask anyone who's a regular @ the Dragon about the difference between speed of a Busa or a GSXR-600/750/1000, or any other bike 1000cc or smaller, on the dragon.
listen bud.. its all about riding ability.. the big myth that busa's can't corner is what it is.. a big myth.. couple of my buddies have busa's and they ride them just like any other sport bike.. unless your busa has a stretch swing arm.. you will have no problem scraping pegs on a busa.. thats unless of course you bought the busa because you thought it was the fastest bike and didn't really have much cornering ability to begin with
Old 03-18-2009, 08:57 AM
doug

here you go

https://my350z.com/forum/motorcycles...ml#post7090369 .. feel free to continue
Old 03-18-2009, 10:36 AM
adamtaylorpcb

here you go

https://my350z.com/forum/motorcycles...ml#post7090369 .. feel free to continue

maybe get back on topic?
Old 03-18-2009, 10:58 AM
doug

Originally Posted by adamtaylorpcb

maybe get back on topic?
thats what the link was created for
Old 03-18-2009, 03:40 PM
harvin350z

Here is a pic....
W7 issue-18032009243.jpg
Old 03-18-2009, 05:11 PM
adamtaylorpcb

is that mdf i see through there?
Old 03-18-2009, 07:49 PM
ktnupe8

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a pic....
Attachment 232686
OUCH! Looks like my Alpine Type-R's after beating em up for 2 years. Yeah I really think that it has something to do with the airspace you have it in. I didn't read if you still have a warranty on this, but do you. I know the W7s sound pretty beautiful and clean but if they don't stand behind their product after you explain your story to their customer care, I'd take my business elsewhere.

I'd suggest you look up subs with a strong rubberized surrounding that can take a beating or improper airspace.

Let me know how this goes man... Wish I could offer up more help
Old 03-19-2009, 02:03 PM
harvin350z

I got a new 10w7 again from the warrenty and went to a local audio shop and traded it for a 10 inch alpine type x. I know the w7 was worth a bit more brand new but after my experiance with it I just wanted something stronger. The airspace in my box is about 1.3 cubic which was the bare minimum for the w7. I believe (after some research) the box was the problem. I do not recommend zenclosures "w7 box" to anyone since there is not enough air space. The type x is made with carbon fiber Kevlar-Rohacell parabolic cone, and seems to be very strong. The type x requires alot less airspace in a sealed box which shows some promising results. I also picked up a new jl 1000/1 amp since this sub requires more power. Thanks for everyone that helped in this forum. I will end it with a final post sharing my experiance with the new Alpine Type X.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:17 PM
will4992

Trust me when I say that the box size was not your problem. Where were you researching? It frustrates me that people can be so car audio ignorant. There are tons of people with your exact setup with no problems. You obviously have an issue that caused the subs surround to rip and you need to fix it. Otherwise it could possibly happen to your type x.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:55 PM
adamtaylorpcb

Originally Posted by will4992
Trust me when I say that the box size was not your problem. Where were you researching? It frustrates me that people can be so car audio ignorant. There are tons of people with your exact setup with no problems. You obviously have an issue that caused the subs surround to rip and you need to fix it. Otherwise it could possibly happen to your type x.

my first go around was a w7 in a zenclosure box

not a problem at all except i probably would have liked it better with some polyfill

the box will not rip a cone

may sound like *** but wont desrtoy it

im tempted to make a box barely big enough to fit the speaker in to prove a point since you wont take the knowledge everyone has been giving you for what its worth....

depending on how hungover i am tomorrow you may just get a video
Old 03-19-2009, 09:22 PM
harvin350z

I do appreciate everyones advice. What do you think should be my next step in solving this problem?
The guy that worked at the JL authorized warrenty place told me he sees this problem ALL the time with these subs. He did not even hesitate to replace it again for me. He said these subs are capable of extending out far when playing but the surrounding foam can not handle it and cracks overtime. Then I went to a new place to install my new w7 sub and he checked the dimensions on the box and told me it was the problem. He claims that there is not enough air in the box for such a driver, causing presure on the sub when forced to play. This did not make to much sense to me but a few different places told me this also. After some digging on the internet and reading peoples problems and experiance with this sub, I found several cases similar to mine. Any ideas on what I should do next?
Old 03-20-2009, 10:37 AM
adamtaylorpcb

didnt you already get rid of it?

if not, port the enclosure

the only reason im trying sealed again is because i managed to get a little over 2ft^3 from a under strut box... if output isnt great here come the ports
Old 03-20-2009, 11:20 AM
doug

Any ideas on what I should do next?
FI Q or Image Dynamics IDMax
Old 03-20-2009, 05:03 PM
harvin350z

I have not received the type x, I can still swich back if I like. This box can not be ported cuz its to small. adamtaylorpcb I dont know which box you have but the zenclouse box is really small. Man I will posts some pics showing everyone how small the actual box is. I know if you build a custom box you should be able to get more cubic ft then what I have. Post some pics of your box adamtaylorpcb just for me to see how it looks. Thanks.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:16 PM
adamtaylorpcb

i had the z-enclosure w7 box and i ported it

made a slot port on the side

heres the old one before i recovered it... Fubar'd the carpet on it

heres the new one im still building
Old 03-21-2009, 10:39 AM
harvin350z

I see what your talking about now....How efficiant was the port? Can you port it on the other side too? How good does that rattle trap work when stuck to the box? Thanks again for your help.

Quick Reply: W7 issue