Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

MOderate audio upgrade: need some help

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 04:25 PM
peptidbond

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MOderate audio upgrade: need some help

Good evening,

To start, I searched around, but only found some information that was helpful. So I thought I would ask the more specific questions. I am doing a moderate upgrade to my audio system. I don't want anything booming, but I do want better sound. I am going to install it myself since I used to work as an installer long ago. However, I need some pointers on equipment since it has been so long since I sold this stuff. Here goes:

HU: Clarion DXZ735MP
Looking at this because another post said it matches the factory lights. Also, fulfills my requirements for MP3 and aux-in. Any other suggestions between $200-250? Any warnings about this model?

FRONT: Kicker RS6c
Pretty decided on these speakers. Anyone know how the fitment is? I know I will need a spacer, but is there anything wrong with choosing this particular speaker?

REAR: Kicker RMB6 mid basses
Yup, mid basses in the rear because I will not have a sub and I don't think rear components contribute well to staging. The mounting depth is only 2", so they should work fine. Concerns?

AMP (optional): Kicker KX300.4
Seems to be in the right price, size, power range. Again, don't need anything whopping. I also plan to mount this in the cubby behind the driver (sealed). I think the space in there is enough for cooling (4 ohms). Remember, no sub. Shoud I reconsider?

Finally, anyone know a good source for the following:
-Speaker spacers/brackes
-Good (matching) HU bracket

Thank you much. I hope this is not so detailed that know one cares ;-).
Old 09-12-2003, 04:43 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

I have the RS6c's in front. I have had them about 3 years, and they fit fine according to the installer. You might need a spacer though.

They sound pretty good, but if I was you I would go with some Focal Componets. Online sells them pretty cheap. 40% less than local stereo outlets.

Also if I was you, I would invest a few hundred more dollars and get a 10" sub in a box and place it under your strut bar. Or get a basslink for a little more bass.

Just my .02.
Old 09-12-2003, 04:59 AM
peptidbond

zand02max,

Thanks for the input. I was thinking about the sub, and may add one in the future, but I am going to go a little slow at first. It is certainly something that I will consider.

As for the Focals, I noticed that you suggested the same thing in another thread. I am familiar with their quality, but even at www.onlinecarstereo.com, they are out of my price range. Overall, I would love the best, but I am going for "better than stock". Don't get me wrong, I love a good stereo. However, I just need something decent that fits my price range.

I ordered these items last night because I could not wait to pull the trigger. I am most concerned about the RMB6's in the rear. They are 6 3/4", so I might have some trouble mounting them. I plan to make MDF spacers, which I hoped to avoid. However, it looks as though there is no way around it. I just did not want to spend that much time on the install. Oh well, it will sound good.

If you have any other suggestions, please let me know. Thanks.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:04 PM
swoobyz

Originally posted by peptidbond
I am most concerned about the RMB6's in the rear. They are 6 3/4", so I might have some trouble mounting them.
What was your experience w/ trying to install the 6.75"?

Pv
Old 10-27-2003, 09:29 AM
USMC-Z
Z Veteran

I recommend Boston Accoustics Front Component speakers with crossovers. They are amazing! well worth the money.
Old 10-27-2003, 04:09 PM
swoobyz

What model of BA's?

What about the Polk MoMo MM6?
Some places say they are 6.5", but others say they are 6.75.
Would they fit up front?
Are they any good?

Pv