Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

New Member Question - Setup new Headunit and Subwoofer into factory location

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 08:40 AM
solidfish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member Question - Setup new Headunit and Subwoofer into factory location

Hi, I'm new here with a 2005 ENTH model. Would those with experience be able to advise on the following please?

I have a 10" sub and Excelon head unit from a previous vehicle that I would like to use. I've searched the archives and got a lot of good information. But I wanted to confirm I'm doing this right.

1. I'm going to order the following parts:
Metra #99-7402 dash kit
Metra #70-7550 harness
Dynomat

2. Fill factory subwoofer mount area (behind driver) with dynomat. Mount subwoofer onto factory brackets.

3. Mount amplifier to under driver's seat.

4. Install headunit with metra kit

5. Run wires underneath the center console (HU to amp)

It seems like an easy job. Although I'm reading some posts that the stock sub mounting location does not provide the best sound quality. Anything missing?

Thanks!
Old 05-28-2009, 08:59 AM
DoomCue

Originally Posted by solidfish
Hi, I'm new here with a 2005 ENTH model. Would those with experience be able to advise on the following please?

I have a 10" sub and Excelon head unit from a previous vehicle that I would like to use. I've searched the archives and got a lot of good information. But I wanted to confirm I'm doing this right.

1. I'm going to order the following parts:
Metra #99-7402 dash kit
Metra #70-7550 harness
Dynomat

2. Fill factory subwoofer mount area (behind driver) with dynomat. Mount subwoofer onto factory brackets.

3. Mount amplifier to under driver's seat.

4. Install headunit with metra kit

5. Run wires underneath the center console (HU to amp)

It seems like an easy job. Although I'm reading some posts that the stock sub mounting location does not provide the best sound quality. Anything missing?

Thanks!
I have an '05 Enthusiast Roadster. I've basically done this exact setup - there are plenty of guides floating around (one is on the site-which-will-not-be-named). Plenty of guys will tell you that you need to get a box to go into the stock location behind the driver's seat, but I didn't want to spend the money on that - they're not cheap. Others will tell you to use the area under the strut bar, but that's not an option in the Roadster. I found a satisfactory solution which didn't involve removing anything behind the seat - I just dynamatted the hell out of that area, creating a "box" out of dynamat. I then used polyfill (basically the guts from a pillow) in that space. I put my amp in the "glovebox" behind the passenger seat. I drilled a few holes in the removable cover over the spare tire tools to route wires to the amp.

The only real problem I had (and it was minor) was mounting the sub. The sub's mounting holes didn't match the holes in the existing mounting bracket, so I had to drill new holes. Other than that, this was a very easy project.

-djb
Old 05-28-2009, 09:14 AM
solidfish

Hey thanks DJB for the info. Thats exactly what I was planning to do my self. May I ask you if you are happy with the subwoofer sound quality? Thats the only thing I'm hesitant on.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:48 AM
aware

2nd that the glove box behind the pass seat is a good place for an amp. Actually if you want to go through the trouble of removing the panel or if you already have it off theres a few places inside that compartement to mount things... I wouldnt mount it to that plastic tray though. I tried that at 1st and its really not solid enough.... but if you take that tray out theres plenty of room in there.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:26 PM
DoomCue

Originally Posted by solidfish
Hey thanks DJB for the info. Thats exactly what I was planning to do my self. May I ask you if you are happy with the subwoofer sound quality? Thats the only thing I'm hesitant on.
I'm very satisfied, but the caveat is obviously, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

It costs nothing to give it a try - it can only save you money. If it turns out that you don't like it, you can always try a box later.

-djb