Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Dynamat/Hushmat/Whatevermat users: don't you miss the car sounds?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 12:16 PM
GalvatronType_R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynamat/Hushmat/Whatevermat users: don't you miss the car sounds?

A few months ago, a friend set up his G35 coupe with a very decent sound system complete with upgraded speakers, external amp, sub, and lots and lots of Dynamat. After driving it for a while, he said it was the biggest mistake he's made with his car and subsequently removed the sub (because the stock G is already heavy enough), the external amp, as well as the yards and yards of Dynamat.

What was his problem? He said the 'mat turned the sweet exhaust note on the G into a muffled, barely-there Buick graveyard-esque absence of sound (when the stereo was off). He also said that the deletion of the dual subs and its box as well as the 5 channel amp noticeably increased the driving feel and acceleration.

So beyond the weight issue, do you guys who have sound-insulated your cars ever miss the awesome sounds produced by the VQ.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:24 PM
quakerroatmeal

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does he have a stock or aftermarket exhaust? Even with no dynamat, with my system turned off I don't even really hear the stock exhaust, unless I have windows down still the note is barely noticeable to me. On the outside is a different story or unless you're gunning it.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:31 PM
rtiid22

..well, I came from a corolla so..
Corolla < 350z with heavy *** sound system

and my borla exhaust with hfc is plenty loud/deep, it would be heard

Last edited by rtiid22; 08-20-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:57 PM
GalvatronType_R

Originally Posted by quakerroatmeal
Does he have a stock or aftermarket exhaust? Even with no dynamat, with my system turned off I don't even really hear the stock exhaust, unless I have windows down still the note is barely noticeable to me. On the outside is a different story or unless you're gunning it.
His exhaust is stock but as you are aware, even a stock G coupe has a pretty loud and very attractive growl which he did not get to experience until he removed the Dynamat and the dual sub box.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:16 PM
oro

I'm a bit interested on what exactly your friend used to get that buick like grave esque silence :laugh: on the flip side my exhaust is far too loud but I need it to be 3 inches for when I throw the turbo on. My problem is the drone its far too unbearable, I'd rather have to roll down the windows to hear the roar.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:25 AM
oro

Originally Posted by bigaudiofanatic
I look at it like this. If I want a car for sound I will get a 370z or a lambo "one day". If I want to have a car and put over 2 grand in car audio I want to hear that. My audio system is in my civic and I do not look at my car as doing 200 MPH with nos and all that BS. It is a car that I have to live with, so I midis will enjoy something in it.
Well to be honest sometimes its too much, as much as people love the sounds of Ferraris and all that I used to work at a Euro and Lux Exotic shop. The first time you hear a Ferrari with tubi exhaust it's amazing, after a while it becomes just loud.

I can really enjoy a car for its exhaust note but its nice to be able to roll down the windows to hear that exhaust note as opposed to not being able to get away from it at any time. I hate having to turn up my stereo and deafen myself more just to try to stop hearing the drone at 65mph on the freeway.

For me to enjoy my car I want it to be quiet in the cabin and aggressive outside, theres no doubt the magnaflow 3 inch sounds impressive outside the car, but inside the drone is too much. I'd rather have a "buick like" silence inside.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:05 PM
ghost

If you still can't hear your exhaust with the radio cranked, you need a louder exhaust!
Old 08-24-2009, 07:01 PM
oro

Originally Posted by ghost
If you still can't hear your exhaust with the radio cranked, you need a louder exhaust!
:laugh: Then I've got the perfect exhaust for everyone.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:08 PM
TheOtherRob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wish I could compare. I added a layer of dynamat in the trunk, hatch roof, and behind the seats and it did not quiet down my exhaust at all. But it did however make the bass sound more deep and took some tire road noise away. I could barley hear the stock exhaust when the car was stock.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:37 PM
oro

Originally Posted by TheOtherRob
Wish I could compare. I added a layer of dynamat in the trunk, hatch roof, and behind the seats and it did not quiet down my exhaust at all. But it did however make the bass sound more deep and took some tire road noise away. I could barley hear the stock exhaust when the car was stock.
I guess its fairly subjective, thats the part im having trouble with I read the OP post and it sounds like the mat itself quieted down the car quite a bit. Then I talk to the guy at second skin and they say I need layers of damplifier covered by luxury liner to make it quiet.