Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

need help about dynamat or similar!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 05:13 PM
mario60185
Chicago Realtor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question need help about dynamat or similar!

Has anyone used dynamat extreme. I want to do almost the whole car but im not sure yet. If so how much was it and was it worth it? Or did you use a different product. Any info would be a big help.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:30 AM
328skidpad

Default other options

do a search on google for "fatmat" and "brownbread" their sound deading qualities are very comparable and even better than dynamat and lot cheaper too...
Old 10-08-2003, 07:18 AM
peptidbond

I just finished an entire brown bread (from B-Quiet) of my car. This included the trunk, trunk walls, behind driver hump, sub compartment, glove box compartment, and doors. I also added little patches to the back of all the plastic panels to give them a little weight. It worked perfectly.

I would suggest searching for brown bread on eBay. There is a vendor on there that sells 70 sq. ft. rolls with a roller for $129.00 plus 25.00 shipping. I ordered from this guy (look for feedback from peptidbond) and everything went perfectly. The cost is much cheaper than dynamat extreme and it is just as effective. It sticks really well, goes on easy, and it is much less expensive. You will not need the entire 70 sq. ft. unless you want to do the floor as well.

A couple things to watch out for are time and cuts. It took me a total of 10-15 hours of working time to do the entire car. Also, because the brown bread has an aluminum foil backer, it can cut your hands easily. I still have "paper cut" slices all over my hands. Just be careful and allow plenty of time for the install.
Old 10-08-2003, 01:09 PM
alienx

The fatmat stuff seemed to be the way to go but they hung me out to dry. I waited a long time (2 weekends plus most of the next week), before I called. I had asked them to call if I wouldn't have had the stuff in NJ from PA by the first weekend. They didn't call so I assumed I was good to go.

After I finally checked, they told me not only had it not even shipped yet, but they wouldn't even have the stuff for another 10 or so days. What a waste of time! Incidentally, the shipping time should have been 2 days max to my house.
Old 10-08-2003, 01:14 PM
jesseenglish

I used brown bread and would highly recommend it. I also bought it from the vendor on ebay that peptibond recommends.

I bought the stuff and had it within a couple of days.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:29 AM
peptidbond

alienx, yea I read that guys feedback. He seemed like he had a serious issue with shipping. Fatmat is cheapier and you get more. However, you don't actually need more than 70 sq. ft. and I am not going to deal with some idiot just to save $30. Sorry you had to deal with that hassle.

I really recommend the vendor I used. He is in Canada, so it takes a little time for shipping. However, he does guarantee that it will ship the day you order it. He even sends a tracking number. If he does not ship it the day of the order, you get your shipping costs back.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:50 AM
keiffer953

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone have pics of what it looks like installed?
Old 10-09-2003, 10:06 AM
toykilla

here is my Fatmat install. 100square feet and i havnt even used half yet!... need to do the doors next
Attached Thumbnails need help about dynamat or similar!-mat.jpg  
Old 10-09-2003, 10:59 AM
keiffer953

Thanks Toy, By the way if that's a pic of you, your georgeous!!
Is this just for a better stereo sound or for keeping outside sounds down to a minimum?
Old 10-09-2003, 11:08 AM
350zSpeedRacer

Originally posted by keiffer953
Thanks Toy, By the way if that's a pic of you, your georgeous!!

Josh, you're just too hot to keep that pic of you as your avatar.
Old 10-09-2003, 05:30 PM
keiffer953

That's why I said IF THAT'S A PIC OF YOU :-) Just in case LOL
Old 10-10-2003, 04:34 AM
alienx

Originally posted by peptidbond
alienx, yea I read that guys feedback. He seemed like he had a serious issue with shipping. Fatmat is cheapier and you get more. However, you don't actually need more than 70 sq. ft. and I am not going to deal with some idiot just to save $30. Sorry you had to deal with that hassle.

I really recommend the vendor I used. He is in Canada, so it takes a little time for shipping. However, he does guarantee that it will ship the day you order it. He even sends a tracking number. If he does not ship it the day of the order, you get your shipping costs back.
I didn't see any feedback anywhere. I just stumbled into their site based on somebody's suggestion. But it sounds like I got exactly what you mentioned.

And I ordered the 100 feet too. I was going to dump a bunch in my truck to try to quiet the cab a little. I have to get back out on the web and see about getting another product...
Old 10-10-2003, 04:39 AM
alienx

Hey, while we are on the subject of sound damping, my BOSE sub started to vibrate last night. I had some hip hop on and even at low volume, their was something buzzing beghind me. Has anyone found anything that felt particularly loose when they were putting in the sound proofing??
Old 10-10-2003, 05:43 AM
Ralphus

I have 150sq ft of damplifier and 100sq ft of damplifier extreme in my truck, along with the closed cell foam. Works great! I always used dynamat in the past, but it's overpriced, especially when doing your whole car. This stuff is a little better than brown bread.

Check it out:
www.secondskinaudio.com

Edead is ok too (similar to bb), www.edesignaudio.com

FatMat is just roofing material sold on eBay...

Personally, I wouldn't do the whole car, sound deadener is too heavy to do a sports car with. Better to do like the guy above and just buy 50-100sq ft and do the choice areas.
Old 10-10-2003, 06:22 AM
toykilla

i cant keep the guys off me!.. maybe i should take down my pic

you should see the looks i get when im zainoing my z in my bikini . im one hot *****!
Old 10-10-2003, 06:31 AM
350zSpeedRacer

Okay, now that I have the horrible image of Josh in a bikini in my head....

I'm about to "inherit" some REALLY nice stereo stuff from my husband and he suggested dynomatting the car. I don't want to add the weight. So where would the best places be to add this stuff to be the most effective? I'm doing tweeters, mids, an amp, and possibly a small sub--I don't want anything major, just a very clean sound. Advice from the experts?
Old 10-10-2003, 08:01 AM
Ralphus

Originally posted by 350zSpeedRacer
Okay, now that I have the horrible image of Josh in a bikini in my head....

I'm about to "inherit" some REALLY nice stereo stuff from my husband and he suggested dynomatting the car. I don't want to add the weight. So where would the best places be to add this stuff to be the most effective? I'm doing tweeters, mids, an amp, and possibly a small sub--I don't want anything major, just a very clean sound. Advice from the experts?
Do the hatch door, 2 layer in and around the spare tire well, and the doors (doing under the door panel, and then the outer door skin where you can reach works best).

I would say to do the floorboard to block road noise, but you have to use a lot there, too much weight.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:45 AM
toykilla

ChristI (sorry forgot the last I): where are you putting the sub?.. it isnt really adding that much weight i was surprised... i maybe added 10-15 lbs at most in the trunk area...

you will want to dynomat around the speakers in the front door for sure... probably a good 6" radius around the speaker and a few layers... this helps stop vibrations from rippling through the door.

BTW i have an extra 50square foot roll of mat if you want to buy it .... i bought way more than i needed

Last edited by toykilla; 10-10-2003 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-10-2003, 12:25 PM
350zSpeedRacer

Thanks for the info, guys. I'm not doing a sub in my trunk area, so I think I'll leave my car's *** as light as possible. lol I'd have to talk to hubby about where he'd want to put a sub in, if at all, since he knows WAY more about this stuff than I do--I wouldn't even bother with stereo stuff if he wasn't giving me his stuff.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:16 AM
zonester

Default I just installed dynomat extreme!

I installed it on both doors yesterday. It fixed my vibrating sound right away!!! You can also feel more base. I love this Dynomat. this weekend, my trunk is next. One this I recommend to those who will use Dynomat is to get a card-board and make a footprint before you start cutting Dynomat. Installation become much more effecient than without it. Once you make a template/footprint, lay it on top and trace it with a razor knife. Although it has goowy stuff, it actually cust very easily with NO mess. I was very impresssed with this. Good luck.

Quick Reply: need help about dynamat or similar!