Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

What is everyone doing for front imaging?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 07:58 AM
ThumpAZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What is everyone doing for front imaging?

We (wife and I) just got our Z (this past saturday, in fact) and I am very disappointed with the Blose system's ability to reproduce anything resembling quality sound.
I have not yet done many searches, but have seen a lot about sub installs.
Seeing as how the speakers are so low on the doors, there are no higher-mounted drivers and not really a good place for a center channel without cutting a $30K+ vehicle, I have to ask...
What have you guys been doing for imaging in your systems.
I am a former IASCA competitor/builder and would love to see what folks have been doing.

Currently it sounds very muddy and all the sound is from behind you... unacceptable

TIA
ThumpAZ
Old 10-14-2003, 08:02 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Some folks have made fiberglass q-form type enclosures next to the foot rest. I believe that would be the way to go.

I have mine in the doors, but I am going to add an extra pair and make an enclosure for an extra set.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:29 AM
dmazyn

I put a set of 3-way focal utopia's in. The 6 inch in the door and the 4 inch and tweeter in custom kicks. Sound is very good, not perfect but you can't really tell the spearkers are by your feet. The sound comes from about the dash a little off center.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:30 AM
ThumpAZ

I would be inclined to say that putting them down at your ankles is going to bring the soundstage to your ankles as well. I already have designs on rebuilding the door panels to accomodate a mid in the stock location, but with a better angle. I am just concerned about everything being at your feet.
With ours, and I haven't looked at it too terribly closely yet, the doors are completely padded material, so doing a tweet pod up higher will not be the easiest while trying to retain a "stock" appearance.

Anyone have shots of dash or door installs that are giving them a good soundsatge? External links are fine, or PM me if you don't want it all over the place.

Thanks, again.

ThumpAZ
Old 10-14-2003, 08:51 AM
Beaker02

New quality 6.5" mids in the doors and tweeters mounted in the existing window posts work well if you forgo the speakers behind the seats. These really screw up your imaging and create a tunnel effect in the car. Stock sub location is not the best either but if you want to keep it looking stock....
Old 10-14-2003, 11:33 AM
ThumpAZ

As I said earlier, I haven't really had the chance to look the car over completely as of yet. Are you telling me that there are stock locations in the vehicle for tweeters?

I wasn't totally planning on remaining in a stock configuration, just not wanting to make it look like a lot of stuff has been added. doing this by way of integrating the sub enclosure into the area in front of the strut bar in the back and utilizing stock holes with better speakers and custom brackets to gain imaging. My head unit (Alpine 7998) has delay and such other settings in it so I can adjust for poor distances and whatnot, so the rear locations should be useable to me. My main concern is the front. there, from what I have looked at so far, seems nowhere to place anything and get decent imaging. Being the psuedo-audiophile that I am, I may just be being too **** at this point.

Once I make a decision and get into the install, I will keep you all updated.
The previous system was in our 2001 Eclipse GT and all that I am retaining is the head unit at this point. Plans are for a pair of JL 10W6 subs, single JL IB8 midbass, Boston Pro 6.5 seperates front and rear and all JL amps. I have not decided yet on if I will need/want a center channel.

Thanks for the suggestions and keep em coming.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:43 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

They have tweeters in the stock location.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:48 PM
neur0sis

Originally posted by zand02max
They have tweeters in the stock location.
The tweeters are in the a-pilar (a-frame) of the door. Little black triangle area. Not ideal for imaging since they are seperated so far from the midrange drivers.

ThumpAZ: let us know if you come up with any good ideas!
Old 10-14-2003, 09:20 PM
dmazyn

My setup is not pointing inwards, the 4 inch and tweet point toward the other side of the car. Here is a pic to show you what I am talking about.
Attached Thumbnails What is everyone doing for front imaging?-101_0121.jpg  
Old 10-15-2003, 07:29 AM
ThumpAZ

Heyo!
I soent some time in the car last night and finally saw the little pods at the mirrors for tweets.
I concur... definitely not the best for imaging due to distances. I also put in some of my test CDs to get a better handle on where the stock system is putting things. Not too impressed, as I am sure you can imagine.

Anyway. I need to look at the back side of the door panels to see what kind of room and such is back there. I am thinking of a new door to riase the speakers and position things closer together. I have a friend who refinishes auto interiors for dealerships (Mercedes, Lexus, BMW and the like) and he and I can build some panels that look like they came from the showroom floor. This is my goal, to look like the system is a factory installation. Maybe I can improve the armrest position at the same time.

Now, I just have to convince the wife (it's her car after all) to allow me to tear into it. I'm sure she won't mind, as long as I don't start cutting things that we would have to pay to replace.

dmazyn: Where'd you get that trim plate for the head unit? any contact info?

Last edited by ThumpAZ; 10-15-2003 at 07:31 AM.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:05 AM
cobrasak

I have some boston acoustics pros and they work very well.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:45 AM
onecoolee

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

dmazyn,
I love your center console setup...any chance of getting one made for me ? I have seen a couple other similar ones, and have asked a couple people, but never got much response. There are no shops with any talent in this area, and I do all of my own work anyways, but the metra mounting kit, I think, is the weakest portion of my install...I am happy with everything else.

Any way you can point me in the direction of youre shop (or yourself) to make me a HU install surround exactly like yours ???

Thanks for any help...

Oh yeah, by the way, putting good speakers in the doors improves the soundstage alot. I used the factory locations for the tweeters and 6.5s and my overall sound quality is much better, and my soundstage is not too bad, it is way off the floor unlike the stock Bose system.
Old 11-03-2003, 05:57 AM
jrofman

Where can I get the single-din aluminum Z face place to cover the double din enclosure if I replace my head unit?

Originally posted by dmazyn
My setup is not pointing inwards, the 4 inch and tweet point toward the other side of the car. Here is a pic to show you what I am talking about.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:55 AM
dmazyn

I got it from a memeber on this forum. Search for SK Din plate and you should find the site. The user naes is Wadd????.

It does not come with any lighting. That was done custom from the shop thart installed my setup.