Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Factory nav wiring own speaker w/o mute. How?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 12:39 AM
TakeUeZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory nav wiring own speaker w/o mute. How?

I am installing a Pioneer Avh4100 and I have the factory nav in a '03 touring. I do not care about muting the new headunit for the nav voice and I want to know if any one has wired a speaker directly off the nav unit just for the nav voice? I have read posts about different methods to keep the muting capability, but I honestly do not mind turning the radio down to hear the nav voice play through another speaker since it is seldomly used. If any of you all have done this please let me know how or even if it can be done. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:55 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

This forum has an overabundance of information that is readily available to you and anyone else who seeks it. I advise you to familiarize yourself with this forum and its layout and you will find your time spent here more enjoyable.

As far as your question is concerned, there is a thread stickied to the top of this sub-forum (Audio & Video) that contains the information you are seeking. The thread is titled "350Z How to's."

Here is a direct link to the thread (I'd advise you to bookmark it for future use):

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-v...z-how-tos.html

The very first post contains a link to a thread which contains the answer your question.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:29 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Hi, I wonder if the thread Kwame@z1Auto points out is helpful to you.

Certainly that is a solution, but you need to be at least "advanced amateur" to do this successfully.

This solution works, but if you are not fairly expert you may want to print the thread and take this along with your car to a Professional Installer.

I am suggesting professional help since this is a moderately complicated project. If you do not do it correctly, best case is a lot of “popping sounds” and worst case is it won’t work at all. If this fits your comfort level, go for it.

--Spike
Old 12-12-2009, 06:12 PM
TakeUeZ

Thanks Spike, I am a newbie at this and I haven't actually got into the install enough to see the elements at hand. I'm just trying to study up on this so I don't get stumped. From what I understand it doesn't seem too difficult to wire a non-muting speaker straight from the nav? But I just need to know if splicing straight from the nav harness to a speaker will actually work and what are the color of the wires that need to be spliced. I really don't mind turning the radio down and from reading previous posts on this things seem a little over my head when running a new circuit and relay.

At any rate, thanks for the advice and if you or anyone knows the wire colors for the nav voice and if this method will actually work please let me know.

Thanks
Old 12-13-2009, 08:56 PM
TakeUeZ

Anyone know the wire colors of the NAV voice? From what I understand it is +blue/black and -white/black. Do I just cut and splice a speaker from these? Just want to make sure I am doing this right...
Old 12-14-2009, 06:35 PM
TakeUeZ

...?