Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Simple Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 02:52 PM
DBTre50z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple Install

Hello. I am looking to do a very simple Rockford Fosgate setup. I am just doing a 12" Fosgate shallow mount sub and a 500 watt fosgate amp. I want to keep the radio because I don't want anything to flashy, just stock looking. I found a LOC, the Scosche SLC-4 and I was wondering if anyone installed this unit to let me know how it is and how difficult the install was. My only worry is that the unit wont fit behind the dash. Thanks
Old 01-20-2010, 04:48 PM
Guilty1s

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

didnt research the products you bought but i am assuming the SLC-4 is a Line converter, it doesnt need to be behind the dash. You could but it anywhere. I would maybe suggest in the stock sub housing behind the drivers seat and you can tap into the rear speakers there.

That is assuming your talking about a line converter.

Why no head unit. Almost anything would be better?
Old 01-21-2010, 11:14 AM
DBTre50z

That is correct, I am referring to a line converter. What wiring would you run from the LOC to the radio if i place the unit in the stock subwoofer compartment?
Also, the only HU's that I like are the Kenwood Double Din ones, and if i were to get one I would want to get everything with it. I am just trying to resist to turn a small and neat setup into a project that never ends, however I dont doubt that i will replace the stereo eventually. Just not now.

Last edited by DBTre50z; 01-21-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:36 PM
Guilty1s

If im not mistaken... It works like this

Head Unit sends out speaker level output levels to all 4 speakers.

You will intercept the rear speakers output... into line converter, but still have rear speakers wired and connected. (The connected part is controversal but we can get into that later)

The LOC converts the speaker level outputs to RCA level outputs, and you run RCA cables from line converter to amp.

You can adjust the volume levels accordingly thought LOC and amp.

Should be no need to run anything back to your HU.

Speaker------HU------Speaker
|
|
|
|
Speaker--+-------+--Speaker
|---|---|
|---|---|
|
LOC
|
AMP
|
SUBWOOFER

+ are splices. Do the right with those awesome inline cutless splicer thingys!

Last edited by Guilty1s; 01-22-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:48 PM
Guilty1s

Also!!!!! I would also suggest that they make many amplifier that can use the speaker level lines as inputs. I would recommend it as scosche isnt the best stuff out there. Looking at quality loss possibly.

All these amps use speaker level inputs
http://www.crutchfield.com/g_120/Amp...r_Level_Inputs

but no fosgate?
Old 01-30-2010, 12:51 PM
DBTre50z

Ok, sorry for such a late reply. Well i ended up purchasing the setup (Got it from SonicElectronix). Seeing as this is the first time i am doing an install, pretty much today, yesterday, the day before and so on i have been "exploring" my car and reading up on some of the helpful posts on here. I took out the rear panels and all and I am just familiarizing myself a little bit with the car. (Those clips can be a real pain in the ***). I figured I would just add onto my original question instead of creating a new post but I took out the metal bracket where the stock sub would be. I plan on putting my shallow sub in there and the amp in the trunk. I think I am going to put the original panel back on seeing as nissan wants 60 bucks for the stock bose cover. I have a couple more questions to ask on this set up
1. I know plenty of people have put subs in the original sub location. Can anyone tell me how the sound quality is and if they would recommend it. The sub i will be using is a 12 inch rockford fosgate shallow rated at 400 rms.
2. Does anyone know where i can order a bose panel?
3. When removing the center console (The one which separates the driver from passenger) I found a harness which isnt plugged into anything. It consists of black and red wires and i recall seeing one blue one. I also noticed that my rear speakers dont work. Is there any relation? The harness is located towards the back of the console by the silver box (i dont really know what is is)

Sonic Electronix says it will arrive here by the 4th so I hope to install it by the weekend and hopefully post some pics of it.