Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Blown Factory Speaker

Old 03-28-2010, 09:55 AM
LehighGuy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown Factory Speaker

Recently blew the passenger rear speaker (directly behind the seat), wondering what my best option is now. I was fine with the stock sound system, so no need to upgrade if I don't have to...but whatever is cheaper is what I'm looking to do.

A stock speaker is $181! Not to mention that doesn't cover install. Maybe I could pick one up off of ebay or the forum on the cheap? And try to install it myself? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Again, looking for the cheapest alternative, and I am very inexperienced with audio systems.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:49 PM
duro78

most ppl leave them unhooked because it messes up the fron stage sound. I have some alpine type s coaxs if you want $40 shipped. dont pay any $ for the stock speakers there complete paper crap
Old 03-28-2010, 04:43 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully someone near you will donate one to the cause.

I threw mine away years ago.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:38 PM
LehighGuy

Originally Posted by Paul350Z
Hopefully someone near you will donate one to the cause.

I threw mine away years ago.
That would be nice, assuming I could do the install myself... how hard is that supposed to be? Hours?
Old 03-29-2010, 06:29 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Unfortunately and because those stock rear speakers are nearly junk-quality, most people just throw them away when doing a replacement.

If you do replace the wrecked one, you should replace the other stock rear speaker. Buy a set of Infinity coaxials for < $70 (in fact you can probably get these for < $50). The sound you get is so much better than the stock speakers.

Installing the rears is not easy. A professional installer can do it in under an hour, but doing it yourself… set aside 3 or 4 hours (no kidding).

--Spike
Old 03-30-2010, 08:28 AM
LehighGuy

Originally Posted by Spike100
Unfortunately and because those stock rear speakers are nearly junk-quality, most people just throw them away when doing a replacement.

If you do replace the wrecked one, you should replace the other stock rear speaker. Buy a set of Infinity coaxials for < $70 (in fact you can probably get these for < $50). The sound you get is so much better than the stock speakers.

Installing the rears is not easy. A professional installer can do it in under an hour, but doing it yourself… set aside 3 or 4 hours (no kidding).

--Spike
Thanks for all the helpful info Spike, sounds like that's a good option for me to pursue. Where's the best place to pick up a set for a good price? Ebay or forum?
Old 03-30-2010, 04:26 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by LehighGuy
Thanks for all the helpful info Spike, sounds like that's a good option for me to pursue. Where's the best place to pick up a set for a good price? Ebay or forum?
I purchased a couple of Infinity 6 ½” coaxial speakers on eBay for $35 (about half the SRP) with free shipping.

I installed these in the rear speaker slots. They are much better than the OEM’s. Actually I have them turned down to almost no sound (but now I’m running expensive Focal components in the front and only have the rears on low for continuous music when my Garmin navigation broadcasts voice driving instructions).

If you have the junk OEM component speakers (Clarion or Bose) in the front, and you install these Infinity’s in the rear; you will probably turn up the rears and turn down the junk front speakers. I’m not kidding or exaggerating. The rear Infinity’s will sound that much better. This was the very first project I did on my 2003 z (way back when… 2003), and that is what I did before installing the front Focal components.

--Spike