Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 01:20 PM
devildriver421

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do?

First off, I'm not a regular poster here, but a regular reader and thanks all for the amazing knowledge around this place. I bought an 04 base model z in October and now that that's paid off, and I got my house, I'm looking to put a little work into the z. Not much for now, definitely more when I get back from Afghanistan this time next year. Right now I'm only really looking to replace one component as I want to do it right and don't have the money for everything. Whoever had the z before me put a POS naxa deck in it, discontinued now but retailed for $80!! So I'm thinking I want to replace that first, but I'm not sure what kind of head unit to get. I've always been an Alpine fan and I like the IVA-D106. Any other good brands/models? Single or double din no preference just definitely multimedia.

Id like to replace the front speakers but I want to put in pods with good speakers, then I'll need an amp and a crossover. Too much money for now I think. Thanks in advance for all the help.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:32 PM
T-Stan

i have the alpine iva w 203, its a double din. its a couple years old, and i like it a lot. very easy to use, have the i pod cable paired with it too. i would recommend any alpine unit.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:42 PM
devildriver421

Thanks T-Stan...I trust Alpine, the deck in my wife's car is an alpine cde 9843 out of my first car, a Saturn sl2 about 5 years ago. Still works great. Also, for speakers, I'm looking at the Alpine Type-R SPR-17S. Does anyone have any opinions on them? They're not too expensive but I don't want to fork for the Focals.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:00 PM
1GR8350Z

Can't go wrong with Alpine HU. I'm actually ditching my double din Eclipse to put my old 9835 in.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:02 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look around at Crutchfield, Woofersetc, and some of the others for one that matches your requirements. There's hundreds of different models and features like bluetooth, iPod connection, and USB ports vary between models.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:34 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

You are wise and have my respect. You paid for your Z before doing any mods. I’m assuming that you want to do a full CES installation, but you will stage this to fit your ability to pay for the components as you purchase and install these.

Here is my advice:
Create a Master Plan (MP) that includes everything you want to do for your CES. That’s a fun project, and it keeps you on track for your budget and what you would like to have in your car. And, visualizing a MP for your CES provides hours of fun planning. Do this first, and be realistic.

Your MP includes a H/U, front component speakers, external amp(s), rear speakers (optional), SubW (optional), and GPS (optional), and various accessories (Satellite Radio, HD Radio, rearview camera, Bluetooth, USB, SD, iPod, CD/DVD player, etc.).

H/U
You must decide if you want a double-din or single-din H/U.

Double-din H/U’s provide a simple installation (once you figure out how to connect all of those wires) and feature selection. You can get an all-in-one double-din device that does just about everything (radio all the way to GPS). One disadvantage of an all-in-one double-din H/U is that a failure in one of its components brings down the entire unit. And, double-din H/U’s are relatively expensive.

Single-din H/U’s (my preference) provide a better value, and often better sound. The only thing missing is the built-in 5-7” screen you get with a double-din device. You can add a 7” LCD by placing a remote screen in the Z’s upper/forward cubby, so this isn’t a disadvantage. You also get a forward storage slot when installing a single-din H/U in the Z.

The trend in H/U’s is fully digital models sans CD player. CD’s are on the way out, being replaced by MP3 and iPod . CD players are mechanical and prone to failure. The industry is moving towards solid state components.

One solution is mounting a remote CD/DVD changer in one of the upper-rear cubby slots in the Z. This way you can install a better digital H/U, and still have the mechanically-susceptible CD player without compromising your digital H/U.

Front Speakers
Component front speakers work well in the Z, but not so much in the stock mounting positions (midrange inside the front door and tweeters inside the Sail Panel). Quality component speakers with the midrange in the stock front door mount will rattle, and the sound is blocked by the stock grille. The Sail Panel mount for tweeters is awful; the Sail Panel is too small (not deep enough), and you cannot control pointing the high directional sound from your tweeters if you use the Sail Panel mount.

For your front speakers, go with some decent components, and mount these in either a kick or door pod. There are several good places to mount the tweeters, but the Sail Panel isn’t one of them. Put your tweeters in the kick, the door panel, or the A-Pillar.

Rear Speakers
Some people like the extra fill you get with rear speakers in the Z, and other people say you don’t need this. If you decide to keep the rear speakers, swap out the awful junk (Clarion or Bose) that comes with your car with some moderately priced coaxial speakers. If you decide you do not want rear fill, just disconnect the rear speakers.

External Amp
You need this for your quality front component speakers. If you go with a 4 channel amp and have rears, you can connect this to both sets. If you go with just fronts and no rears, and install a 4 channel amp, you could bridge the 3 and 4 channels to a SubW. Purists demand using a dedicated amp for the SubW.

SubW
My message/post is already way too long, and a discussion of SubW’s goes way past my knowledge and deserves its own discussion. I’ll only mention that there are a plethora of SubW placements/configurations in the Z, and many ways to drive the device. A search provides a great deal of useful advice and options.

--Spike
Old 05-14-2010, 04:25 PM
devildriver421

Thanks everyone, especially Spike....Thorough response wow. As far as head units go, I'm thinking of putting the single din with flip up screen. That will give me 2 of 3 points:storage, full size touchscreen, but more likely for mechanical failure. As I've said though, I trust Alpine to make quality products. I really just like the way a screen controls everything more easily (and it doesn't look bad at all )

Does anyone have any input on the IVA-d106? Reviews seem good thus far. Not too too expensive, more than a real single din but less than most double dins.

As far as speakers go, I have a set of Pioneer Premier 3-ways that are a couple years old that I plan on putting in the rear. For fronts I have no idea...everyone says Focal but those are too much $$$. So I'm still shopping for those. Any suggestions for that as well? I listen to mostly metal and rock so I want nice clear highs, full midrange, and some bass(to be filled in with the sub eventually. Also, I have no idea with speaker amps. Never used em but I plan on it this time.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:07 PM
devildriver421

One more bump....and one more question...

I'm planning on getting the IVA-D106 HU. My total budget is $1000. I can get the HU for ~$600 new, and I've seen a few for sale here and there for 400 used. That leaves me 4-600 for my front speakers/amp/enclosure.

My question is, what would my best bet be at $400? To buy a pod would be nearly half of that, leaving 200 for speakers and amp. I'm not able to make my own yet because I'm still in an apartment and wont be moving into a house with a garage until August, so I have no place to work on it. And, I'm leaving for Afghan in September and I don't want to start n not finish. So for $400, what would be the best combo of front speakers/amp? I'm not an audiophile but I do like nice clear tunage. Mostly rock/metal...meaning I need a full range of sound.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:54 PM
devildriver421

bump...anyone? With about $500 would I be better getting the pods and cheaper speakers/amp or just getting a nice set of speakers and amp for the stock location? And trust me I'd like to go all out and get the best of everything but it's just not in the budget..
Old 05-30-2010, 04:56 PM
oddjobbb

image dynamics have a great comp. speaker. many say as good as Focal. they run about 180.00. great bang for your buck.