Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Electronic Starters...random

Old 11-06-2003, 06:03 PM
mschwartz26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic Starters...random

Ok...got a very random question for those alarm/law experts out there. This is a pretty sad story and need some advise.

I had a top of the line Viper alarm installed on my Z when I bought it. I also had the electronic start feature installed. First thing to note is I drive a 6 speed. Live in California.

I thought that these starters where installed with 'checks' to make sure that they were not in gear when/if the start feature is triggered.

I was in a store (auto shop getting car wash!) and heard my alarm remote beep. I looked down at the remote and saw that the remote had sent the signal to the car to start. The car was in gear parked outside. It started and shot about 5 feet forward (the emergency break was engaged) and hit a SUV that was parked in front of me. There was no damage done to the SUV, but over 1700 done to the front end of my Z.

The company that did this told me tough. They said that they were not liable and it was all on me.

I called the company that makes Viper and they said that companies are not suppose to install these starters on manuals. Others told me that it is illegal in California...but not sure about this.

My question to anyone here is do I have any case against the company that did this? Is this just my stupid luck or do I have anything here? The company that did this has really screwed me over time after time and I would like to make them pay...but want to be sure that I have a case before I pursue.

Any advise?

Thanks!
Old 11-06-2003, 06:47 PM
350BRICK

take it to a lawyer who's been refered to you by someone you trust....let the lawyer tell you whether you have a case or not....honestly, i wouldn't waste time here on the forum, unless there is a lawyer, in your state, who monitors this forum...

opinions here won't persuade a jury/judge....

(please don't take this any other way except one person trying to help another...)

hope you get "good" news...come back and tell us how things turned out...

-C
Old 11-06-2003, 07:04 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

The folks that installed the alarm should not have installed that feature on your car. It is illegal in every state that I know of.

The only legal auto start alarm is compustar.

www.compustar.org

That is why all of the alarms are illegal except compustar. Because they have no fail safe system like Compustar.

Sorry to say this, but you are SOL.

Do you have the Viper 691 or 791? I inquired about those auto starts for my 6spd and the dealer said they will not install it.

They did say you could install it but there is not really a fail safe feature, so your are risking it.

Sorry Man!
Old 11-06-2003, 09:20 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yup, they shouldnt have installed it, they did you a favor(or maybe not) by installing it. and as such you should never have parked it in gear, tho they had to put in a bypass anyway cause the car will not start without the clutch disengaged for this very reason, hence why most starters dont work on manuals even if you just install it straight up.

you could maybe sue the installer, but without intending offense it is your fault; the car should not have been parked in gear ever with that system installed.

if they told you straight out you straight out it wouldnt start if it was in gear, then thats their mistake, but if they assumed you knew... never assume.